Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can season ticket holders get compensation ?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
0n the basis that they are not giving the supporters what they have pre paid for,. games at 3pm Saturday. so possibly infringed trading laws.

Supporters are not buying access to the games being at 3pm on a Saturday though.

When I automatically renew at the end of March along with others I am committing to a season ticket which over the course of the following season will guarantee me my seat at a reduced price per game (compared to matchday pricing).

I will have no idea who we are playing, at what time/day or even in our case what division it will be in!

I'm not defending SKY or the club it's just what a season ticket is!

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
I think the underlying message is that the Clubs do what the League say, the League does what Sky say. Any requests for reimbursement should probably head to Sky HQ.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If you bought a train ticket to go to a game and you missed the train because they changed the time of the train at short notice I bet you would claim for your ticket price back

Claim the free travel that is included in my match ticket price back ?

If referring to away games, there is always a risk a game can get cancelled and that is the risk you take when buying in advance, (plus you can buy insurance against this when buying your advanced ticket if you decided to buy it) - if i didn't then it was down to me and i have no grounds to make a claim because i already knew the risks when making my initial purchase (ie matches can be moved for TV, bad weather, cup matches, etc)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I must have missed the part where it said I was paying for 3pm Saturday kick offs...

It's a royal pain in the ass and Sky are c**** for doing it so often and with little notice but they are not breaking any laws.. The league need to introduce a new rule(in the next contract) that Sky can not change games within 3 months of the date(at which points fans can start booking travel).

There is an alternative in that railway companies should allow refunds on travel if cancelled before the date of the trip or, subject to availability, allow travel details to be changed. A combination of your idea and mine could work.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think the underlying message is that the Clubs do what the League say, the League does what Sky say. Any requests for reimbursement should probably head to Sky HQ.

I'll tell you what, perhaps we should tell Sky to stuff their TV money (including next year!) on the basis that we determine when our games kick off, home and away.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Supporters are not buying access to the games being at 3pm on a Saturday though.

When I automatically renew at the end of March along with others I am committing to a season ticket which over the course of the following season will guarantee me my seat at a reduced price per game (compared to matchday pricing).

I will have no idea who we are playing, at what time/day or even in our case what division it will be in!

Exactly, and if the likelyhood that too many games will be moved to times that don't suit you and mean that you don't attend, then simply don't buy a ST and buy on a match by match basis (like most fans used to in the Goldstone days when very few bothered with a ST and didn't complain that the price they paid on the gate was so much higher than the average price of a game on a ST)

Those buying because they think the games will be played at 3pm on a Saturday are only kidding themselves

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Absolutely spot on. Price of relative success this season but at the time of agreeing to buy or renew we knew nothing other than that we were purchasing access to 23 matches as and when they are played.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I must have missed the part where it said I was paying for 3pm Saturday kick offs...

It's a royal pain in the ass and Sky are c**** for doing it so often and with little notice but they are not breaking any laws.. The league need to introduce a new rule(in the next contract) that Sky can not change games within 3 months of the date(at which points fans can start booking travel).

A great idea and something that fans can push for through petitions / campaigns, etc... (might not get a 3 month heads up as games are announced closer to that for the start of the season ad they would still need time to pick which ones they show but there must be a reasonable cut off time that can be agreed by all parties to allow fans to book travel / tickets with less risk of changes)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

I understand all too well the realities of taking Sky's money, but it's getting close to a tipping point where, by not being able to make rearranged games, it's actually very close to being more expensive to hold a season ticket than to pay for the games I can definitely get to. That money's replaced, from the club's point of view, by Sky income all the time we're being picked for TV. But alienate the hard core, and then start to struggle, so the TV games don't come so quickly any more, and where's that income going to come from?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
SHAME on anybody defending the T&Cs against the fans who bought tickets in good faith that the published dates and times would be in the main adhered to. Have a word with yourselves.

So on that basis, you can tell me the time table for next season. As season tickets have to be renewed before the end of the season, I have renewed and not got a clue what the fixtures are for next season, the same for this season when I renewed last March.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
I agree with the theory of '3 months' or alike but shirley they will only want important matches that have a bearing upon the league table, and what they might be in 3 months time is a little bit of guesswork. Whether they would accept that as a clause I very much doubt.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
That still doesn't give Sky or the club the right to change a fixture to suit themselves but perhaps not others to whom it is inconvenient but who have prepaid for it.

Perhaps the club could make an exception for those so affected and offer a refund on a game by game basis thus making the 'seat' available for re-sale. ( ie same as they would do in the case of a sell out)

On the basis that they are receiving a match fee from Sky, it wouldn't be unreasonable given the probably, relatively small number of individuals affected by such a change.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'll tell you what, perhaps we should tell Sky to stuff their TV money (including next year!) on the basis that we determine when our games kick off, home and away.

Figures from 2012/13
Brighton and Hove Albion has posted a £14.7million loss for last season - Money coming in for TV rights that season = £4.8m The previous season to that we lost £8.6m for the sesason - TV money coming in at £5.7m

So who makes up the difference? - the fans in the prices of tickets? Selling off / getting rid of players and fielding a poorer team that struggles to compete and may get relegated, reducing our income further or should we expect Tony Bloom to lose even more of his money funding this? (£200m+ isn't enough?)
(£5.7m to £4.8m that season from the season before)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I agree with the theory of '3 months' or alike but shirley they will only want important matches that have a bearing upon the league table, and what they might be in 3 months time is a little bit of guesswork. Whether they would accept that as a clause I very much doubt.

Would 1 month work for both fans and the TV companies involved?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So on that basis, you can tell me the time table for next season. As season tickets have to be renewed before the end of the season, I have renewed and not got a clue what the fixtures are for next season

:bla:

I'd wager you haven't got much in the way of personal plans made for August (SIX months away) or beyond either.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
So is our gripe about games being moved or the (lack of) financial benefits thereof?

Well the two are linked. If we were a premier league club (a) we'd fully expect a lack of 3pm Saturday games and (b) the compensation for the inconvenience would be approaching £3m per game a next year. Right now, getting dicked about in the Championship gets the club £100k.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

There is an alternative in that railway companies should allow refunds on travel if cancelled before the date of the trip or, subject to availability, allow travel details to be changed. A combination of your idea and mine could work.

I'm sure i read on here recently that you could buy (relatively cheap) insurance to guard against this anyway but most don't (whether they know about it existing or not is another matter)

Hotels, etc can be cancelled without cost, usually with over a weeks notice and you normally get more than that if a game is moved for TV so that's not an issue

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Well the two are linked. If we were a premier league club (a) we'd fully expect a lack of 3pm Saturday games and (b) the compensation for the inconvenience would be approaching £3m per game a next year. Right now, getting dicked about in the Championship gets the club £100k.

I fail to see the connection. The games being moved about affects the fans and their plans, the payments from TV revenue affect the Club's finances. Two separate issues.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

So how much should Championship clubs get for live TV coverage before it becomes 'acceptable' to fans? (why should it be down to fans to decide whats acceptable, football clubs have the contract with tv companies which they have already accepted)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here