Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

can season ticket holders get compensation ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
* Fixture dates, kick-off times and on sale dates are correct at time of going to print and are subject to change.

That's what it says on the fixture list. Its shitty, but there's no way around it. Sky have bought football, they effectively own it now. Like it, or lump it.

Can foresee ever larger numbers of people lumping it then. SKY might think they own football, but they only own the armchair subscribers, not us colourful yokels who more and more often are only there to make up a colourful backdrop to the live broadcast and who could easily - if they could only bring themselves to do it - tell both SKY and the club to go swivel.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sky pay an absolute fortune for these rights, and I should imagine they have it written somewhere that they can do what they like pretty much as a result.

Sky pay a fortune for Premier League rights. They pay peanuts (comparatively) for Championship football coverage hence our club losing losing nearly a million pounds a month despite having Premier League worthy attendance figures and sponsorship deals.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Of course they didn't but can shirley expect far more traditional 3pm Saturday kick-off!

Especially if that's what it says on the ticket they signed up for.

Said by those who clearly never read the terms and conditions they signed up to a season ticket

Cancellation, Refunds and Transfers
28. Once a season ticket is purchased and activated on the Smartcard, the Ticket Holder shall not be entitled to cancel their Smartcard Season Ticket and no refunds shall be given by the Club for any Matches unattended. In particular, the following should be noted:
(i) The dates and times of all of the Matches are subject to alteration on a regular basis and the Club shall have no liability whatsoever to Ticket Holders in respect of any such alterations. The Club shall however make reasonable endeavours to publicise any fixture changes as far in advance as possible (including via the Website) and the Club recommends that Ticket Holders visit the Website on a regular basis in order to check the latest dates and times of Matches.
(ii) Matches can be abandoned or postponed (for example, due to weather conditions or unforeseen events) and the Club shall have no liability whatsoever to a Ticket Holder if any Match is abandoned or postponed. Ticket Holders shall however be entitled to attend any re-arranged version of such Match.

Most people take out a ST before knowing the dates for the fixtures and don't check the match dates / kick off times first before making that decision

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sky pay an absolute fortune for these rights, and I should imagine they have it written somewhere that they can do what they like pretty much as a result.

They do. Unfortunately the vast majority of it goes to the Premier League. Championship clubs don't do that well out of it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
0n the basis that they are not giving the supporters what they have pre paid for,. games at 3pm Saturday. so possibly infringed trading laws.

They're not infringing anything. Annoying - but not infringing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sky have f***ed things for most fans - it's all money money money - sod the fans. I don't now buy a ST for this reason - I work 6 days a week and only have Saturdays off so a ST is pointless for me. Shame too as less money to the club from me, but I accept this is likely to continue - my opinion counts for squat in the eyes of Sky.

The armchair fan is king now, not the ticket buying fan.
It's wrong.

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
Sky pay a fortune for Premier League rights. They pay peanuts (comparatively) for Championship football coverage hence our club losing losing nearly a million pounds a month despite having Premier League worthy attendance figures and sponsorship deals.

They do. Unfortunately the vast majority of it goes to the Premier League. Championship clubs don't do that well out of it.

So is our gripe about games being moved or the (lack of) financial benefits thereof?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have Albion friends where I work who are season ticket holders who bought their season ticket to watch the club on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.
Being postmen they finish at 1.30pm and can't get to the AMEX for 12.30 start due to Sky wanting an early kickoff.
There must be many other season ticket holders who are seriously p*ssed off and cannot make an early kickoff due to being at work on Saturday mornings and who didn't expect so many early games and are losing the benefit of seeing the top games .
It is hardly fair after stumping up so much money and the club must realise that working people don't only work 9 to 5 mon to fri
I sympathise with this as my brother is a postie in Lewes. I wonder what the ratio is for home and away for the televised games this year. We are a victim of our success, but are we also paying the price for the Amex being so darned lovely with a much higher number of home than away games shown?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
The topic of this thread is precisely why I never have and never will part with a single penny if it means it goes in Sky's direction.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
0n the basis that they are not giving the supporters what they have pre paid for,. games at 3pm Saturday. so possibly infringed trading laws.

I must have missed the part where it said I was paying for 3pm Saturday kick offs...

It's a royal pain in the ass and Sky are c**** for doing it so often and with little notice but they are not breaking any laws.. The league need to introduce a new rule(in the next contract) that Sky can not change games within 3 months of the date(at which points fans can start booking travel).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
SHAME on anybody defending the T&Cs against the fans who bought tickets in good faith that the published dates and times would be in the main adhered to. Have a word with yourselves.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That still doesn't give Sky or the club the right to change a fixture to suit themselves but perhaps not others to whom it is inconvenient but who have prepaid for it.

Read the terms and conditions before signing up and which are accepted by anyone buying a season ticket

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So is our gripe about games being moved or the (lack of) financial benefits thereof?

I was just responding to your comment that Sky spend a lot.

When we get promoted, we will receive a fortune and should expect to have our games to be moved around frequently. I don't think the Sky money compensates the disruption at our level.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
SHAME on anybody defending the T&Cs against the fans who bought tickets in good faith that the published dates and times would be in the main adhered to. Have a word with yourselves.

Can't see anyone defending it - just pointing out the reality of it. We KNOW what we're signing up to when we purchase a season ticket (well most of us do). Its tiresome, but there's only one alternative - not renewing.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Read the terms and conditions before signing up and which are accepted by anyone buying a season ticket
If you bought a train ticket to go to a game and you missed the train because they changed the time of the train at short notice I bet you would claim for your ticket price back

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Funny how fans complain when we arn't on TV enough or don't get enough coverage in the highlight, etc and then complain when we are

How exactly do you propose that Sky are able to select the fixtures to show several months in advance (before the ST sales start. ie about January of the season before) - who will be successful? - what will be the big crunch clashes?

It's not only due to TV that games get moved for - in our case there are also cup matches, University events and possible postponements due to bad weather, etc.... So how do you propose to cover that in the setting of match dates so they meet your approval when first signing up to a ST?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here