Can any of our right wing friends defend this article from The Daily Hate

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Ofcourse we all do.

It has nothing to do with social media, forums, twitter etc etc. bringing it to people's attention.

Everyone goes out looking for it.

But you can see by the link where it's going. I got chastised on here the other week for moaning about the drivel that that [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] posts and was told not to open his threads. Don't see how this is any different.

It seems to me that people want to be offended and outraged. Usually on someone else's behalf. Rather than just shrugging it off and moving on.

Quite.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
But you can see by the link where it's going. I got chastised on here the other week for moaning about the drivel that that [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] posts and was told not to open his threads. Don't see how this is any different.

Quite.

It's one of the best selling national newspapers on one of the biggest events on earth. Yes, I am interested to see what's been said, and yes I am offended. I really really would much rather I wasn't. It depresses me to read such nasty bile. Ofcourse I could choose not to and sometimes I most definitely do. I never go on their website independently, but I'm glad people kick up a stink. That guy should be blogging his shitty little opinions,not getting paid to do so.

Earnest is, well, Earnest, on NSC.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Surely the themes were chosen as examples of things which Britain had pioneered; industrialisation, universal healthcare, children's literature, popular music. These are not necessarily things at which we excel now; we are hardly an industrial power anymore. It is more contentious but it could also be said that London represents the more positive aspects of multi-culturalism, you certainly can't represent popular music in any other context. Maybe this MP would rather us celebrate the things that might matter to his ilk, such as complex unregulatable financial instruments; tax avoidance; corporate entertainment and oral sex at midnight on Hampstead Heath.

The NHS is not free; it's paid for by taxes - a lot of them. The genius is that it is broadly free at the point of delivery and therefore universal but it is still inefficient and expensive. Private services (which are of course even more expensive) are much, much better.
Where would the UK's private health care services be without the NHS? Who refers patients to BUPA? NHS GPs. Who provides emergency services? Who promotes public health improvements? The NHS. Who recruits and trains staff? The NHS.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sorry but there is a massive difference.

Drivel should rightly, be ignored.

Bigotry should rightly, be noted, and challenged.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed. How very DARE those lavishly-paid workshy nurses have some time off to take part in this so-called "opening ceremony".

DISGUSTING.

Interesting, that the servicemen involved in the ceremony, were not similarly labelled 'self indulgent'.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
i think the NHS is a brilliant concept but I also think people have a irrational reaction to any criticism of it. Its great to have free healthcare for everyone obviously but i think we do need to look at how much of the GDP is spent on it & more importantly how that money is spent. Is all the money getting to the front line services? Or are there layers of middle management that drain money out of the system that could be better spent? My ex wife worked for the NHS in an administrative role & in her opinion there were 4 people doing the work that she could have done alone. That may not be true on a bigger scale obviously but it grates on me that according to the BBC etc its always front line services that will be cut (but I was under the impression that the NHS budget was ring fenced).
As for the opening ceremony i thought it was excellent apart from the NHS bit which i personally feel should have been a celebration of our armed forces.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I could point you to an educated, mixed race couple, living in harmony with the local community not very far from me. In fact, I could point you towards an article in the Daily Mail about them, some years ago, praising their contribution to our community and specifically highlighting our harmonious ways.

I might add that they have a daughter who is now building a successful career within the NHS. And she's good at sport.

Does she read the Daily Mail?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As for the opening ceremony i thought it was excellent apart from the NHS bit which i personally feel should have been a celebration of our armed forces.

I think that is either ruled out, or at least seriously frowned upon, in the IOC guidelines.

Imagine what the Chinese ceremony would have been like, if a'celebration of their armed forces' had been deemed acceptable.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Just on the whole 'being outraged' thing - who do people think has really offended Rebecca Adlington more, Frankie Boyle for his cruel jibe about her having the face of a dolphin, or the papers for going huge on the 'outrage' aspect, using it as an excuse to run the story over whole pages with big pictures and big headlines, and even a hack asking her what she thought about the mockery of her appearance. I wonder which made her feel worse. Lot of hypocrisy on the issue from the papers.
Exactly what I thought when I saw the headline today (right before 'Frankie Boyle doesn't have much room to be criticising how other people look' and 'who would actually care what Frankie Boyle thinks of them given as how he's faded off into the obscurity he so richly deserves') :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It's the way its shoved down your throat as entirely normal and happens all the time the way it was here, when quite truthfully its not, while i enjoyed the ceremony and thought it was a great advert for the country i'd have bet my next 20 years wages on there being some form "look at how wonderfully multicultural and really comfortable with it we are" when the very fact its highlighted so often proves we aren't at all, Its social engineering and attempting to subliminally influence attitudes .

Agreed and why are many people 'outraged' if one dares to suggest that there are faults with the NHS.It is a huge organisation and there is plenty right and wrong about it.Nurses are not angels and should not be held up to be so.They are human,many are good but quite frankly, some are poor and shouldn't be in a 'caring ' profession.
I speak as one whose father,aunt and uncle were doctors and mother a nurse.Additionally,my wife was treated for cancer last year and came across both the excellent and poor aspects of the NHS.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I also find this article defensive and would be happy in general if the Daily Mail ceased to exist. However I have also found some of the views, language and expressions made on this thread offensive. Glass houses etc.
The joy of democracy is that one can hold a view without fear of oppression or censure. However, HOW one expresses that view is important. Whatever one's view, political leaning, profession etc one has a responsibility to do so without using abuse,being offensive, racist or by expressing bigotry. The Mail continuously fail to meet these standards but attacking the Mail in a similar vein does nothing to win the argument.
Sorry if that sounds pompous but this polarisation means that actual meaningful debate gets lost. There is a debate to be had about the future of the NHS regardless of where your Opnions lie. But it never gets off the ground because of the extreme positions people take. In the end we will all be the losers.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
TBH would have liked to see more references to our great history and achievements,Shakespeare, Dickens, etc something the whole world would recognize, token glimpse of Churchill our greatest leader, is the NHS an unique organisation? Were not the only country with a free at point of service health service. Could have cut half an hour off the Rap music segment and the NHS part and put it to better use, but with Danny Boyle directing no surprises we saw what we did. Enjoyed majority though and put Beijing to shame.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Did you really not realise i was saying this as opposed to promoting multi-culturalism ? really ?

Semantics aside, I haven't got a clue what you're on about on this. For a seemingly intelligent man you seem totally paralysed by the issues of race, immigration and cultural identity.

And because you don't want to veer the wrong side of the 'racist' label, you spend a lot of time playing daft word games on the subject. It's a difficult line to tread. As you know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports