Calm down please and be realistic

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I rather not, as it was told to me in confidence from someone at the club we approached, but I can assure it was quite nice to hear that we were enquiring about such players. We were told he was not for sale or loan option.

Probably bulls*it with respect! We could be enquiring about Messi but we ain't going to sign him.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I agree it was a cheap pop at Palace, but the rest of it wasn't bollox. And if jhe has been watching for 50 years, I don't think he can be described as a member of a plastic population. Personally my first Albion match was against QPR in 1967.

Yes that made me laugh, Plastic ?, think after watching for 50 years, all divisions, been at all the big games, Newcastle, Cup Finals, PO finals, Hereford, STO at Goldstone, Gillingham Withdean and the Amex, don't think I can be classed as plastic, maybe it was a cheap pop, for which I apologise, it obviously hit a nerve, as the cladding is an improvement on the what was there in the first place.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At what point does our historic position in the league table become an irrelevance when judging what is right and wrong with the club?

Does being in the lower leagues give Sheffield Utd, Portsmouth, Coventry and Wolves fans the right to rant that they're in a false position? Not in my book it doesn't so, conversely, being historically placed lower than top half of Championship renders "look where we've come from" arguments also irrelevant.

Tony Bloom changed the game when he spent £130 million building the stadium and the training ground. These are facilities League 1 clubs simply don't have but, similarly, we don't yet have that 'big club' football city endemic "pull" that a Derby County or a Wolves can count on. Our wages budget renders our natural equilibrium to being in the second quartile of the Championship.

FFP and the football-wide lack of transfer activity thus far mean that there's no reason to panic yet. Bring in 3 more 1st XI quality players and we'll challenge for the play-offs again, bring in just 1 or 2 and it's likely to be midtable.

Murphychase

May 4, 2010
The Amex
Not being a regular poster on here but a regular reader................I am moved to praise the OP and Fran. We have come a long way very quickly and it is clear that Tony Bloom is planning for the future rather than what a lot of people on here are calling for which is a "quick fix". Give the man some room to work and the time he needs to continue building this great club of ours.
Since my first Albion experience in 1969 I have seen many many changes..................not all for the better, but when I look about me on match days I have to pinch myself to believe it all.
This is my club and always will be no matter who is in charge or what is happening on or off the pitch!!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not being a regular poster on here but a regular reader................I am moved to praise the OP and Fran. We have come a long way very quickly and it is clear that Tony Bloom is planning for the future rather than what a lot of people on here are calling for which is a "quick fix". Give the man some room to work and the time he needs to continue building this great club of ours.
Since my first Albion experience in 1969 I have seen many many changes..................not all for the better, but when I look about me on match days I have to pinch myself to believe it all.
This is my club and always will be no matter who is in charge or what is happening on or off the pitch!!!

I see your point, but was signing Vicente / CMS / Bridge / Upson / Ulloa planning for the future too? Clearly, the chairman was rolling the dice pre-FFP and either gambling to get us in the top flight or establishing us as a top half Championship contender. Judging by the signings we've missed out and the fees quoted those type of signings / wages are no longer part of our thinking as we commit to the youth/loan route.

The outcome of his transfer dealings is that we've bought our way into being a bona fide Championship club. The question is whether Bloom is content to tread water for a year or two until the kids are ready, or whether he's serious about a Top 6 finish this season. I'd argue that his comments, the PLR and "one club, one vision" mantras spouted by the board have stoked up the level of expectation - this has come from the board, not the fans.

Murphychase

May 4, 2010
The Amex
Yes, that is all true enough, however.......................without the benefit of being able to read Tony Blooms mind it is difficult to see and comment on his long term strategy now. My main point here is that an awful lot of posters on here have no idea what it has been like being an Albion fan in the dark ages etc.
Expectations have been raised I grant you, but I think that we have to trust TB and let him get on with it without severe criticism and unfounded rumours. He is in this for the long term.................as are all true Albion supporters.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Murphychase;6499873 My main point here is that an awful lot of posters on here have no idea what it has been like being an Albion fan in the dark ages etc. .[/QUOTE said:
Disagree.

A lot, like me have been around a long long time, 40 years vast majority as a ST.

Just because years ago we had to put up with an old black and white potable tv and now we have a 52' HD one should I be content watching some old sh*t soap opera on it? I want to watch a entertaining programme. Watching Brighton in a lovely stadium is somewhat deflecting away from turgid performances we've had for a while.

The club are the ones raising expectations all the time.

Murphychase

May 4, 2010
The Amex
Well, I did say "an awful lot" not all. You are clearly a fellow "lifer"!! Yes, the club are raising expectations and we have finished the last two seasons in the top 6. Realistically I believe that the club want to move on to the next level and so do we all..................its just a matter of when. Im not saying that we shouldnt be "expectant"....................its just that the critical and sometimes abusive rhetoric on here is uneccessary and can indeed be somewhat damaging. Of course criticism is the right of all supporters but cant we be a little more objective?

Lets see what happens next huh?

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Well, I did say "an awful lot" not all. You are clearly a fellow "lifer"!! Yes, the club are raising expectations and we have finished the last two seasons in the top 6. Realistically I believe that the club want to move on to the next level and so do we all..................its just a matter of when. Im not saying that we shouldnt be "expectant"....................its just that the critical and sometimes abusive rhetoric on here is uneccessary and can indeed be somewhat damaging. Of course criticism is the right of all supporters but cant we be a little more objective?

Well said!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

That's a fair point. My only rebuttal would be that by charging top dollar for everything and going on about being 'premier league ready' the club can't complain when people want to see some evidence that we ARE 'premier league ready', i.e. on the pitch and not just in the prices. I've said before, it may be unrealistic for people to think like that, but it's not unreasonable.

From a fellow 'lifer', first game 1966 before England won the World Cup!

SAC

May 21, 2014
It's far too early to panic and I don't think many are, people are just stating the obvious that at the moment it's all a bit shit. It may be better than it was 10 years ago but year on year the football seems to get worse, the atmosphere worse and the complaining a bit louder.

Dec 29, 2011
I rather not, as it was told to me in confidence from someone at the club we approached, but I can assure it was quite nice to hear that we were enquiring about such players. We were told he was not for sale or loan option.

Maybe this is why we haven't signed anyone in ages. We're pissing about asking if Rooney and Mata are available for loan while the rest of the Championship are signing decent, realistic targets.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I see your point, but was signing Vicente / CMS / Bridge / Upson / Ulloa planning for the future too? Clearly, the chairman was rolling the dice pre-FFP and either gambling to get us in the top flight or establishing us as a top half Championship contender. Judging by the signings we've missed out and the fees quoted those type of signings / wages are no longer part of our thinking as we commit to the youth/loan route.

The outcome of his transfer dealings is that we've bought our way into being a bona fide Championship club. The question is whether Bloom is content to tread water for a year or two until the kids are ready, or whether he's serious about a Top 6 finish this season. I'd argue that his comments, the PLR and "one club, one vision" mantras spouted by the board have stoked up the level of expectation - this has come from the board, not the fans.

Unlike the past two seasons, Bloom hasn't set a target for this one. Suggests priority lies in complying with FFP rather than aiming for a top 6 finish.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Spot on. The club are charging top dollar for everything (because that makes us 'premier league ready'), so the fans expect the football to be 'premier league ready'. Unrealistic it may be, but it's also perfectly understandable. For the club the high prices are a double-edged sword as people's expectations are higher. (The 8000 or so Withdean hardcore excepted as they feel that the prices and the way fans/customers are treated is 'perfectly reasonable')

Not sure where you get that from. There are many Withdean hardcore who are very unhappy at the way the club is being run now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports