Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down please and be realistic

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
I don't often post, but after the past few weeks of reading a lot of stuff on here, I feel the need to comment. You would think that we are a club in turmoil, no direction, bad owners, bad management, awful team, manager that has not a clue, awful tactics etc etc, but the facts remain that we are in a very good position. I will not call the fans that post gloom and doom on here 'bed wetters' but I think they are just a bit deluded and fail to see the bigger picture on where we are now as a club, let me give my views:

1. Status

Brighton have traditionally been a lower league team, mainly playing in the old div 3/4 and only very occasionally the top 2 leagues, so we are now a good championship team and I would say that is a major plus point to our status and history. Credit to the owners for that.

2. Infrastructure

First class stadium, won many awards, i heard a Wednesday fan say on train, that it was the best ground he has ever seen. Training ground, did it not get the most points ever awarded to an academy ?, better that Chelsea ?
Again credit to owners and management.

3. Current team

It's probably in terms of potential one were of the best squads we have ever had in our history, with an another couple of weeks of trading to go, will become stronger, you know it will, we all know they will get players in and I have Been told of one player that we went for a few weeks back before Leo went, well you would be very surprised that we were aiming so high. Saturday was disappointing, but could you say Wednesday were better, no they were not, simply lost to a wonder goal and I will have a bet with anyone that wants, that we will finish above them. (Would you want their number 9, simply one of the worst players I have ever seen)

4. Club Management

Loads of people moaned last year that we were slow and not attacking enough, so we get a manager that is trying to change to a different formation and style, with mainly the same players, it will take time, why do people think we will hit the ground running, it does not happen. Give him a chance, he will need time.

Barber is doing a great job, did he not win the best CEO award last year, so maybe he is good, just because we do not sign 10 players on silly contracts in the close season just to please people, does not make him or Burke bad.Just maybe they are running the club well. Think of what Palace and holloway did last year, some really silly appointments that they are still paying for now.

5. The future

Well after 50 years of watching, I would say we are in a better position than we have ever been, sorry that is a fact. I read someone said on here, that it is all about what happens on the pitch, utter rubbish, I am sure Leeds, and Pompey fans who had their success on the pitch for a few years, would swap what we have got now?

So in summary, please be aware that the club is in very good hands, the future is bright, we will improve the squad, we are in our best position as a club that we have even been, we are restricted by FFP, but that is a good thing, don't want to go into major debt again. And if you don't like it, you can always go up the m23 and support a club that only spend a few thousand on cladding, have goal music, blue peter colour displays, a drummer and owners that argue on website with fans, now where would you rather be ?

An excellent post - good to see someone speaking rationally. The negative attitudes of some people after one match are ridiculous - hopefully knee jerk reactions. My reason for going to matches, both home and away, is to support the team - my local team that I have supported for over 50 years. Of course it's a much better experience if we win, play well and the match is entertaining but, sadly, it will always be the case that there are those who can't tolerate anything other than this. I would question how dedicated they are as supporters. I appreciate that there are those who go to watch a football match as a neutral and others who live locally but support another team, most likely in the Premier League, and are not necessarily Brighton supporters. However, I would have hoped that those who are Brighton supporters could be more realistic and realise Rome wasn't built in a day!

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton
The issue for fans is that we are paying more and more for less and less entertainment and until that changes people will drift away from the Club.

Everyone can see the wider picture but people aren't going to continue ponying up £40 12 months a year go and watch a match once every couple of weeks where we muster 1 clear shot on goal. It's simply getting harder and harder to justify given the entertainment value on the pitch.

I agree with you wrt the entertainment value and was depressed after Saturday's performance. It seemed as though the team had been hitched together from a disparate bunch, who didn't quite understand how it was all supposed to come together. I thought the north stand bars were pretty subdued too.

I am a supporter so will be in my seat week in week out.

I support the club, am awed by the stadium every time I see it, the academy is wonderful, the finances seem in safe hands - all I ask is a performance to cheer for and leap around like a nutcase (us oldies can leap too) with my mates on a Saturday afternoon

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
We appear to be happy to spend money on Grade One infrastructure (ground, training centre)....
Why then fill it with a Grade (?) Team.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I can understand people getting frustrated, we pay a lot to watch the club and are expectations are high, rightly so in my opinion. What I would say about the weekend is, nobody likes losing, nobody likes losing their opening game, but it's not the end of the world. We haven't got our final side in place yet, and our defeat at the weekend can be summed up by a good goal (maybe slightly lucky) and a sending off. If we'd got hammered 3 or 4 nil then yes we may be worried, but 1-0 in the circumstances described isn't massive to turn around. On another day that shot may have gone over, crofts would have been booked and we might have won it 1-0. Fine lines between winning and losing and we were on the wrong side on saturday. that's all. There's plenty of time for us to improve and get better. Finally a genuine question for any fan gutted by saturday and this isn't to have a dig but to make you feel better, did you think going into saturday that that was our finsihed side for the season? Because I think everyone knows it wasn't and expects us to add a few more, with that in mind yes its annoying we weren't ready for the opener but we've still got plenty of time to get things right.

This is my feeling, pretty much. I can see why there is frustration but we all know that the squad isn't finished and i'm sure the club are aware of it as well. Justifying spending a lot of money on something you're not enjoying is hard to do - the club pretty much rely on loyalty from the supporters and hope this continues, but it is hard to argue if people decide not to carry on with going to games if it isn't worthwhile for them. They've got to prove that going to the games is a worthwhile experience in terms of finances and in terms of an 'occasion'. I'm sure they won't be overly concerned if a few fans decide not to go, but if the number increases into the hundreds and possibly thousands then there'll be a problem.
I can't imagine TB will allow us to go through til Sept 1st without a 'ready' squad in terms of personnel, so I'm willing to be patient until that point and then judge the club.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
An excellent post - good to see someone speaking rationally. The negative attitudes of some people after one match are ridiculous - hopefully knee jerk reactions. My reason for going to matches, both home and away, is to support the team - my local team that I have supported for over 50 years. Of course it's a much better experience if we win, play well and the match is entertaining but, sadly, it will always be the case that there are those who can't tolerate anything other than this. I would question how dedicated they are as supporters. I appreciate that there are those who go to watch a football match as a neutral and others who live locally but support another team, most likely in the Premier League, and are not necessarily Brighton supporters. However, I would have hoped that those who are Brighton supporters could be more realistic and realise Rome wasn't built in a day!
Yes but there are probably only 7,000 people like yourself who will be attending whatever happens on the pitch, going to see football costs a lot of money nowadays and it eats a significant chunk into their entertainment budget. A season of watching mediocre players lose 1 nil to the less fancied teams in this league will see many people deciding to spend that money on an afternoon in the cinema or theme park. Me? If it continues like this I'll probably just go back to picking and choosing the games I attend rather than carry a season ticket. If that makes me lesser than the super fans then so be it but if the club wants to be viable in the Championship it needs fans like me, as well as the even less dedicated.

Zahahahaha

Aug 9, 2014
I don't often post, but after the past few weeks of reading a lot of stuff on here, I feel the need to comment. You would think that we are a club in turmoil, no direction, bad owners, bad management, awful team, manager that has not a clue, awful tactics etc etc, but the facts remain that we are in a very good position. I will not call the fans that post gloom and doom on here 'bed wetters' but I think they are just a bit deluded and fail to see the bigger picture on where we are now as a club, let me give my views:

1. Status

Brighton have traditionally been a lower league team, mainly playing in the old div 3/4 and only very occasionally the top 2 leagues, so we are now a good championship team and I would say that is a major plus point to our status and history. Credit to the owners for that.

2. Infrastructure

First class stadium, won many awards, i heard a Wednesday fan say on train, that it was the best ground he has ever seen. Training ground, did it not get the most points ever awarded to an academy ?, better that Chelsea ?

3. Current team

It's probably in terms of potential one were of the best squads we have ever had in our history, with an another couple of weeks of trading to go, will become stronger, you know it will, we all know they will get players in and I have Been told of one player that we went for a few weeks back before Leo went, well you would be very surprised that we were aiming so high. Saturday was disappointing, but could you say Wednesday were better, no they were not, simply lost to a wonder goal and I will have a bet with anyone that wants, that we will finish above them. (Would you want their number 9, simply one of the worst players I have ever seen)

4. Club Management

Loads of people moaned last year that we were slow and not attacking enough, so we get a manager that is trying to change to a different formation and style, with mainly the same players, it will take time, why do people think we will hit the ground running, it does not happen. Give him a chance, he will need time.

Barber is doing a great job, did he not win the best CEO award last year, so maybe he is good, just because we do not sign 10 players on silly contracts in the close season just to please people, does not make him or Burke bad.Just maybe they are running the club well. Think of what Palace and holloway did last year, some really silly appointments that they are still paying for now.

5. The future

Well after 50 years of watching, I would say we are in a better position than we have ever been, sorry that is a fact. I read someone said on here, that it is all about what happens on the pitch, utter rubbish, I am sure Leeds, and Pompey fans who had their success on the pitch for a few years, would swap what we have got now?

So in summary, please be aware that the club is in very good hands, the future is bright, we will improve the squad, we are in our best position as a club that we have even been, we are restricted by FFP, but that is a good thing, don't want to go into major debt again. And if you don't like it, you can always go up the m23 and support a club that only spend a few thousand on cladding, have goal music, blue peter colour displays, a drummer and owners that argue on website with fans, now where would you rather be ?

In the Premiership with real fans,a ground with an atmosphere looking down on our biggest rivals enjoying a sustained "one step forward two steps back" period in their uninspiring history.Quite how you can take the time to write all that bollox and summarise by having a cheap pop at Palace is your business but it kind of sums up the the attitude of the plastic element at your club.You live in a place where genuine success comes second to false beliefs and slating Palace and our current upturn in fortunes gives you the upper hand in the age old rivalry that exists between us.It simply doesnt lad,we are playing Arsenal on the opening day of the season having finished 11th in the PL last season,you lost to Wednesday at home in your opener having pood it in the Play-offs once again last season.That is the reality of it,not goal music cladding or drumming.I wish the real football supporters of your club well,i miss the games between our clubs and the atmosphere they generate but the plastic population such as you who attempt to continue the rivalry by spouting shite and sniping with meaningless facts with the genuine belief that you are in some way superior i have one message.... Mind the Gap Please.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
If someone had asked me to pick a team to play at home on the first day of the Season, Sheffield Wednesday would have been one of them- to go down so meekly to such an unfancied team is what's so worrying, as there won't be many teams below Sheffield Wednesday come the end of the season.

True......but like last season, we may struggle against the poor teams yet beat the better ones. That's the beauty of the Championship and why it's such a great division.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The issue for fans is that we are paying more and more for less and less entertainment and until that changes people will drift away from the Club.

Everyone can see the wider picture but people aren't going to continue ponying up £40 12 months a year go and watch a match once every couple of weeks where we muster 1 clear shot on goal. It's simply getting harder and harder to justify given the entertainment value on the pitch.

Spot on. The club are charging top dollar for everything (because that makes us 'premier league ready'), so the fans expect the football to be 'premier league ready'. Unrealistic it may be, but it's also perfectly understandable. For the club the high prices are a double-edged sword as people's expectations are higher. (The 8000 or so Withdean hardcore excepted as they feel that the prices and the way fans/customers are treated is 'perfectly reasonable')

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

1. Status

2. Infrastructure

3. Current team

4. Club Management

5. The future

An excellent post, and agree with just about everything you say. It is a pleasure to read something so sensible and considered. You should post more often.

I do take the point from Zahahahaha - however many ha's it is - that the pop at Palace at the end was a bit unnecessary.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the Premiership with real fans,a ground with an atmosphere looking down on our biggest rivals enjoying a sustained "one step forward two steps back" period in their uninspiring history.Quite how you can take the time to write all that bollox and summarise by having a cheap pop at Palace is your business but it kind of sums up the the attitude of the plastic element at your club.You live in a place where genuine success comes second to false beliefs and slating Palace and our current upturn in fortunes gives you the upper hand in the age old rivalry that exists between us.It simply doesnt lad,we are playing Arsenal on the opening day of the season having finished 11th in the PL last season,you lost to Wednesday at home in your opener having pood it in the Play-offs once again last season.That is the reality of it,not goal music cladding or drumming.I wish the real football supporters of your club well,i miss the games between our clubs and the atmosphere they generate but the plastic population such as you who attempt to continue the rivalry by spouting shite and sniping with meaningless facts with the genuine belief that you are in some way superior i have one message.... Mind the Gap Please.

I agree it was a cheap pop at Palace, but the rest of it wasn't bollox. And if jhe has been watching for 50 years, I don't think he can be described as a member of a plastic population. Personally my first Albion match was against QPR in 1967.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Completely agree with the sentiment but have to disagree with your comment about mostly being at div3/4 level. We have spent most if our history in div 3 or div 2, infact we have only ever speant 7 seasons in the bottom division and five of those were in the dark days of the mid to late nineties.

Just saying like.

Soggy

Mar 22, 2013
Well said "Bobby" . Some "fans" seem to forget where we were a few years back. Perhaps some would prefer to see a Harry Redknapp type manager who would splash the cash and bankrupt the club. Patience is a virtue!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

This “15 points behind” nonsense is tiresome and misleading. It conveniently ignores some key facts; that all clubs are potentially open for business until the end of the window, that there may well be obvious benefits in waiting (such as our money going further) and that there are numerous examples every single year of teams who start slow and then do very well.

Having said that Saturday underlined the obvious need for strengthening. As [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] says we didn’t start with a team capable of winning the game. I’m still reluctant to put the lack of signings down to complacency as some have said on here, and I think the statements from the club have shown that they’ve been doing stuff. I’m also pleased that they’re not sharing every development with us – ant thing that gives us a commercial edge in transfer activity is a plus.

I already prefer Sami’s footballing style to Oscar’s. The paucity of the squad (i.e. Calde on the left, Off days for Ince, JFC & Fenelon, Kemy being absolutely useless) plus Crofts’ idiocy scuppered him, but I saw enough to reckon that with a the right additions we’ll be scoring a lot more goals and creating a lot more chances this year. And as I’ve said before I’m happy to relinquish 6th this season if it means that the matches are more exciting to watch.

Oh, and talk of relegation battles in early August is the preserve of the truly moronic.

The Orange Seagull

Time Traveller
Jul 8, 2004
Stuck in the 80's
Yes but there are probably only 7,000 people like yourself who will be attending whatever happens on the pitch, going to see football costs a lot of money nowadays and it eats a significant chunk into their entertainment budget. A season of watching mediocre players lose 1 nil to the less fancied teams in this league will see many people deciding to spend that money on an afternoon in the cinema or theme park. Me? If it continues like this I'll probably just go back to picking and choosing the games I attend rather than carry a season ticket. If that makes me lesser than the super fans then so be it but if the club wants to be viable in the Championship it needs fans like me, as well as the even less dedicated.

Spot on, couldn't have put it better myself.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Wtf has this thread got to do with you?

Palace ****

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
3. Current team

Maybe you could elaborate on this point and give everyone an idea of the calibre of player that you heard about, seeing as this was before Leo was sold there is a good chance that this one has gone cold anyway.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing

I was only making a point about you have choices about who you support and most of your genuine fans hate the drummer and all the 'plastics' things that Palace do, as your fans are good and don't need all that silly stuff. I have very good mates who support Palace and we always having a good dig at each other. I have always said given the same circumstances Palace and Brighton are very similar, we both have good fans, bad fans, plastics etc, no better no worse, you are way above us on your team at the moment and we are way about you on infrastructure etc, don't think anyone can argue that. I think we have suffered a tad more abuse on here from some of your fans, then us talking about cladding and drumming, which is something that we can take the micky out of, as so do a lot of you own fans. As you say 'mind the gap', yes there is gap between us at the moment on the pitch, but not on other things.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Completely agree with the sentiment but have to disagree with your comment about mostly being at div3/4 level. We have spent most if our history in div 3 or div 2, infact we have only ever speant 7 seasons in the bottom division and five of those were in the dark days of the mid to late nineties.

Just saying like.

Fair point, but I started watching them in the 60's and they were a div 3 club, so feel anything above that is a bonus.....I feel old now

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Maybe you could elaborate on this point and give everyone an idea of the calibre of player that you heard about, seeing as this was before Leo was sold there is a good chance that this one has gone cold anyway.

I rather not, as it was told to me in confidence from someone at the club we approached, but I can assure it was quite nice to hear that we were enquiring about such players. We were told he was not for sale or loan option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here