Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calm down please and be realistic

crabbie

Aug 9, 2014
Well said bobby smith,
If we were in the premiership some of you fans would still find something to moan about
God sake!! Give this team & manager some positive feedback not negative postings
I wonder how many of you could handle the pressure of the job

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Well said bobby smith,
If we were in the premiership some of you fans would still find something to moan about
God sake!! Give this team & manager some positive feedback not negative postings
I wonder how many of you could handle the pressure of the job

Agreed. If we were in the Premiership most people on this forum would still be moaning if we were not in the top six. Saying that with all the extra money that comes with promotion we should have a squad to win the Premiership. When are peoples levels of expectation going to become realistic. The people that sit around me could see the difference in our play against Wednesday. The last few homes games last year we had to wait until just before half time before we had a shot on goal let alone on target. On Saturday we had 5 shots on or off target in the first 25 minutes. So you can moan as much as you like about the manager and tactics after one league game, but give the bloke a chance and judge him after 10 games when he has got his ideas fully over to the team and got a full squad to work with. However, that is never going to happen with some of the people on here because unless we win very game they will always have something to moan about. As there are a small proportion of fans on NSC, I suspect the large proportion of our fanbase are more realistic than some on here.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Agreed. If we were in the Premiership most people on this forum would still be moaning if we were not in the top six. Saying that with all the extra money that comes with promotion we should have a squad to win the Premiership. When are peoples levels of expectation going to become realistic. The people that sit around me could see the difference in our play against Wednesday. The last few homes games last year we had to wait until just before half time before we had a shot on goal let alone on target. On Saturday we had 5 shots on or off target in the first 25 minutes. So you can moan as much as you like about the manager and tactics after one league game, but give the bloke a chance and judge him after 10 games when he has got his ideas fully over to the team and got a full squad to work with. However, that is never going to happen with some of the people on here because unless we win very game they will always have something to moan about. As there are a small proportion of fans on NSC, I suspect the large proportion of our fanbase are more realistic than some on here.

Totally agree, looks like we are in the majority of fans, if we are judging by the positives replies to this thread. Just will never understand some people that moan for the sake of moaning. I bet Huddersfield fans are amazed that a Manager could be sacked after 1 game?, think we need to give Sami at least a year to change the play and players. I am pretty relaxed with everything at the club as my expectations are not as high as some on here, I remember half time at Hereford and thought if we ever got out of this situation and just survived as a club, then I would be happy. Donny at home 3 years ago, was one of the happiest days of my life, I laughed, I cried, I remembered my Mum, my uncle, auntie, Granddad, who had all died as fans and never saw Falmer. So that is why maybe, I can still be positive about the future of my club who have most fans out side prem, best stadium, best training facility, my glass is nearly full and it looks like the decent fans on here are realistic. Just remember the club is 'premier ready' (personally not bothered), the team is not yet, not a bad place to be after what we have been through?

Zahahahaha

Aug 9, 2014
Ok i apologise for taking issue i just lost it for a moment having read your very well written piece only to find that last paragraph that looked like it had been glued on at the end by someone else.I joined NSC partly because i am genuinely interested in where you guys think your club is in terms of getting promotion and partly because i miss our clubs interaction off and on the pitch.While most Palace fans will just forever gloat after our Play-Off victory there are quite a few of us that understand the down side of those games after we managed to beat Watford,the loss of the two most important League Fixtures of any season for both of our clubs.Having supported Palace for 40 years i appreciate what the Palace v Brighton fixtures mean and while i may be marched out and shot at dawn by fellow Palace fans i really do want to see you lot get into the PL as obviously its an even more mouthwatering prospect of getting it back on in the PL than in the Championship.For this reason i wish you all the best of luck in the coming season and hope you can join the party.

Murphychase

May 4, 2010
The Amex
Totally agree, looks like we are in the majority of fans, if we are judging by the positives replies to this thread. Just will never understand some people that moan for the sake of moaning. I bet Huddersfield fans are amazed that a Manager could be sacked after 1 game?, think we need to give Sami at least a year to change the play and players. I am pretty relaxed with everything at the club as my expectations are not as high as some on here, I remember half time at Hereford and thought if we ever got out of this situation and just survived as a club, then I would be happy. Donny at home 3 years ago, was one of the happiest days of my life, I laughed, I cried, I remembered my Mum, my uncle, auntie, Granddad, who had all died as fans and never saw Falmer. So that is why maybe, I can still be positive about the future of my club who have most fans out side prem, best stadium, best training facility, my glass is nearly full and it looks like the decent fans on here are realistic. Just remember the club is 'premier ready' (personally not bothered), the team is not yet, not a bad place to be after what we have been through?

BobbySmith.................you are restoring my faith! I had almost given up on any form of sanity here. As you can see, I very rarely post on here but your thread just got to the crux of things for me and I felt the need to support your argument.
There are it seems a large number of Albion fans who can see the long term picture and dont feel the need to shout and bawl and just be downright abusive towards all things management. I think that I may now retire back to my "reading" brief and not get involved with all the fighting and name calling that goes on here from time to time.
Are we not all Albion fans???!!!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I won't get too down this season, because the expectations have been readjusted, the best insulation to severe disappointment. When you see for two consecutive summers a slight regression in the playing staff, you'd be foolish to expect miracles. I'd settle for mid-table, Sami finding his feet and a style that works, maybe a Cup run, and the manager NOT leaving next summer ahead of a real crack at it next season.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I rather not, as it was told to me in confidence from someone at the club we approached, but I can assure it was quite nice to hear that we were enquiring about such players. We were told he was not for sale or loan option.

that broadens it then......could have been anyone you care to mention in world football ! If you're going to make statements like that, suggest you put up or shut up !

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
No club in this division is way ahead of the others. However, the worrying thing for me is that the difference between finishing 5/6 and 19/20 is probably only 2 or 3 good players. We've lost our 4 best players from last season, and probably only adequately replaced 2 of them. Also, any business person will tell you that you can't stand still; consolidation is dangerous, and if that is what we are doing we may well be in trouble come the end of the season.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I won't get too down this season, because the expectations have been readjusted, the best insulation to severe disappointment. When you see for two consecutive summers a slight regression in the playing staff, you'd be foolish to expect miracles. I'd settle for mid-table, Sami finding his feet and a style that works, maybe a Cup run, and the manager NOT leaving next summer ahead of a real crack at it next season.

How many would of renewed there season tickets if the club had told us that before , I know I wouldn't of

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
BobbySmith.................you are restoring my faith! I had almost given up on any form of sanity here. As you can see, I very rarely post on here but your thread just got to the crux of things for me and I felt the need to support your argument.
There are it seems a large number of Albion fans who can see the long term picture and dont feel the need to shout and bawl and just be downright abusive towards all things management. I think that I may now retire back to my "reading" brief and not get involved with all the fighting and name calling that goes on here from time to time.
Are we not all Albion fans???!!!!!

Indeed we are all Albion fans, many of us having seen and ridden with the ups and downs over the years, that's football. But, can we please stop having, its a five year plan to the Prem or we're targeting top six, is this sensible. From what we saw on Saturday and I know its only one match, its worse than some of the turgid stuff that was dished up last season. People, fans or as the club likes to call us customers are disappointed and disheartened about was is going on and what is manifesting itself on the pitch and frankly have a right to speak up. Some may be more eloquent than others, but when the club is looking for a minimum £50 spend per head at the Amex there has to be something better than we are getting.

The Op outlined all those things that we have and truly they are positive, BUT its about the 'football stupid' (Bill Clinton) and we are not getting what we pay for, sorry to be so blunt, but it starts and ends there.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
So we expect our owners to break rules, go into debt, to enable us to break the bank and spend money on our hobby, but moan when they put up the prices ?, great logic. As said so many times before, let's wait until the end of the transfer window,I am sure we will be making some good signings, but we have to balance the books, or not lose more than £8 million, I believe. It's a fact that a lot of people forget.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I am an eternal optimist, but my only concern is that Bloom's words at the Fans Forum dont come back to haunt him.
He seemed ultra confident that we would all be happy with the squad come the end of the transfer window and to me it felt like quite a bold and brave statement at the time...

However one cant help notice the dismantling of a team that over the last 4 years has been the most entertaining group in a generation.
I totally 'get' the financial issues etc, but would hope that IF all does not go well by Sept 2nd, then the club might come out and honestly tell the fans that this is a period of financial transition, and frankly we are not going to risk things just yet. Setting unrealistic goals like expecting to be in the play offs possibly raises expectation levels too much.
Personally i'd be happy with top half of the Championship this season, and will reserve too much judgement until September!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dog Food (Extremely Fed Up)

Will Buckley: I can't think of another genuinely fast winger in our price bracket. We can't replace him like for like. We could perhaps get a much slower winger who can't shoot like Conway. I am totally fed up and I feel I have been cheated such are the price of season tickets. It would be affordable if I supported Sunderland at nearer £400, not £650.

The rotten catering sums it up. They maintain the pies are actually edible. They are dog food.

The real final straw was putting Charlie Harris as substitute. Shades of Tiltman when half the fans walked out and never came back. Trying to pretend he is ever going to be as good as Buckley. He might be a good player, but he will never have the pace!

I am pleased about the trial signing of Paddy McCourt. I think we will need him when Lualua leaves. And would be good for Attack Plan B anyway. Stephen Ward saga going on.

The game warmed up when Lualua came on. The attacks were quicker, but there were less chances.

My suspicions are that we are relying to heavily on performance technology and this is % play football. My criticism of Buckley is that like all wingers he does not get involved in the ball too much. That is tactics. The number of times he used to get into a good position and his only choice was to cross/pass to a heavily marked Ulloa. It was the rest of the team not having the stamina, pace or nous to support the lone striker.

Sell Buckley (with or without a whimper) and the Albion will lose £2.5 million a year in season ticket sales. Offer him £2K extra performance pay on his contract and try to keep him!

Got home in record time last night, 45 minutes instead of 90+. Special trains both coming an going (usually too packed and that misses the connection).

I think Clayton might very well have improved the side in games against Cheltenham if we got him. He would not make much difference against Forest though. At the current ratings we will do what Leeds did in the last few seasons, heavy home defeats instead of narrow ones. And falling gates.

I think Sheffield Wednesday outsussed for the second season in succession. I don't go with them being a particularly bad side. Boring, yes. They could do a Millwall, a pretend challenge then fade. We played worse against Wednesday last season (that was the worst last season for me).

Last edited:

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
that broadens it then......could have been anyone you care to mention in world football ! If you're going to make statements like that, suggest you put up or shut up !

I will shut up then. I wish I never said what I said, but it was a pleasing enquiry and backs my opinion that we are looking for quality players. I am not looking for point scoring, or will have say anymore.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So we expect our owners to break rules, go into debt, to enable us to break the bank and spend money on our hobby, but moan when they put up the prices ?, great logic. As said so many times before, let's wait until the end of the transfer window,I am sure we will be making some good signings, but we have to balance the books, or not lose more than £8 million, I believe. It's a fact that a lot of people forget.

Nobody wants us to sink into debt, but surely thete has been some mismanagement somewhere. The time for us to get promotion was during our second year at the Amex and Poyet failed, we would have been on track. But having to carry wages on for another season in the Championship has cost us. Clearly gate receipts and promotional activity are not covering the costs, mainly wages and so the only way to redress this is by reducing the costs of playing staff which I believe is now being done. there has been a mismanagement or miscalculation of where we are and now. I see parallels with the late seventies and early eighties here, excepting this time the management team is trying to be pro active and not reactive.

I don't know exactly how the stadium was funded, but has the money for its construction come from Tony Bloom, his company or has something been leveraged here? Our stadium and all of its surroundings seems too good to be true. Something however is not right, did we overspend during Poyets years at the Amex, were the board carried away with the stadium and their ambitions?

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I think maybe we need to
Look at the Arsenal model, they spent years on catch up as they had to pay for Emirates. Like you, no idea how the funding works , but understand that we have to pay back some in a number of years , otherwise it gets converted to shares. I am
Sure mistakes were made, overspent etc, but if someone told me we would be challenging for a premiership place within 5 years of being at the Amex, then I would have been pleased with that, And I
Sure that is what Bloom said. I think that silly man Poyet got us excited a couple of years back, but we were not ready, still are
Not, but we are laying the foundations for a wonderful future, maybe not this year, but I would say in a few years time, we will be a good prem
Club without the yoyo existence of loads of clubs that I can mention. Patience my friends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here