Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calleri deal delayed until January?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However, to swap a like for like player, 'just because' he is a new signing is wrong.

How do you justify it to Baldock?
...........because I perceive new signing to be a better player?
Yes. You're not swapping a like for like player 'just because' he's new, but because you perceive he's better. If we signed Ronaldo, he wouldn't have to sit on the bench until someone had a bad game. Now obviously no one we sign would be that much better, but it highlights that you can't simply have a rule that new players don't start.

Just not right, Baldock's morale is shot and so is the harmony of the squad, every time a new player is signed, as you have 'could be me regardless of how well I'm playing' scenario.
That's just not true. If we signed a fantastic striker, the squad would love it, because it would increase our chances of winning, and they want to win. And while players would know it could be them next, we're not going to be signing new players after the window closes.

Additionally, forwards work in pairs (or should do, when we play 2 up), Tomer and Baldock are establishing a partnership, but effectively you have to start again.
Well if your front pairing are doing well together it's likely the new signings would have to do something in training, and as I said, they may start from the bench - but that doesn't change the fact that the existing player (Baldock in this case) could ultimately be dropped even if his form doesn't drop.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes. You're not swapping a like for like player 'just because' he's new, but because you perceive he's better. If we signed Ronaldo, he wouldn't have to sit on the bench until someone had a bad game. Now obviously no one we sign would be that much better, but it highlights that you can't simply have a rule that new players don't start.

That's just not true. If we signed a fantastic striker, the squad would love it, because it would increase our chances of winning, and they want to win. And while players would know it could be them next, we're not going to be signing new players after the window closes.

Well if your front pairing are doing well together it's likely the new signings would have to do something in training, and as I said, they may start from the bench - but that doesn't change the fact that the existing player (Baldock in this case) could ultimately be dropped even if his form doesn't drop.

Sorry [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] off phone so can't play with the quotes very easily but:

Point 1.
Yes of course there are exceptions, but we aren't signing Ronaldo.

Point 2.
I would say it is true and guess we'll have to differ. Morale and team spirit is a big thing.

Point 3.
Generally agree - Re Baldock, perhaps especially if he's not scoring, but if say the Argie or Vydra came, they would start on the bench.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we aren't signing Ronaldo.
Missed the midnight deadline :facepalm:

Morale and team spirit is a big thing.
Of course they are, we just don't agree on what makes good morale. If one excellent player comes in, I don't think the whole team are going to be panicking just because the current striker might get dropped.

if say the Argie or Vydra came, they would start on the bench.
I would generally agree, although the timing of the international break would give them a fair bit of time to integrate in training, so there'd be a chance of them starting.

You're also not taking into account squad rotation. Players are often dropped as part of constant squad rotation (although I'm not sure if Chris will do that).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're also not taking into account squad rotation. Players are often dropped as part of constant squad rotation (although I'm not sure if Chris will do that).

Absolutely accept that, just don't believe in it myself. Mourinho rarely changes his players, neither did Fergie.

Think I'm just old fashioned from that perspective.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Think this one is no longer happening (either now or in January) - off to Italy instead (decent source from within club)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think this one is no longer happening (either now or in January) - off to Italy instead (decent source from within club)

I don't believe it was ever likely to happen, but it was fun whilst it lasted. If teams like Arsenal are interested there is zero chance he is going to choose a 2nd tier side either. Well done to whoever made this one up, caught us hook, line and sinker even though it was never really believable.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I hand over shift to Buenos Aries in the evenings. I mentioned Calleri possibly leaving, and going to Brighton, or more likely Inter. Boca supporters on the call almost lost their minds. I guess he is quite good.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

If this is true and I have no reason to doubt it. I'd like to see us invest the money elsewhere this afternoon. Starts this good don't come around too often and the drawbridge is going up on the PL with the increase in parachute payments. This could be our best chance for a few years potentially and we should do our best to take it.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I hand over shift to Buenos Aries in the evenings. I mentioned Calleri possibly leaving, and going to Brighton, or more likely Inter. Boca supporters on the call almost lost their minds. I guess he is quite good.

Yep - he's off to one of those 2 teams and, unfortunately, it's not us...

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
If this is true and I have no reason to doubt it. I'd like to see us invest the money elsewhere this afternoon. Starts this good don't come around too often and the drawbridge is going up on the PL with the increase in parachute payments. This could be our best chance for a few years potentially and we should do our best to take it.

Evidently trying to get one more deal done but club not that confident of getting it over the line (as of a couple of hours ago)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yep - he's off to one of those 2 teams and, unfortunately, it's not us...

Clearly lacks ambition then. Who in their right mind would choose three times European champions Inter Milan over three times league one(or equivalent thereof) winning Brighton and Hove Albion? Must be going there for the pay packet. I reckon we've dodged a bullet...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Would he get a work permit? Has he got a Welsh grandaddy?

Or does Italy count? Dual nationality? UKIP won't like it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Boca went top after beating River Plate in the Superclasico tonight. :(
JC didn't play.
There was 9000 OB at the game :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here