Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde's Open Letter on the Club Website

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
"Thanks first to my family, without them all this would not have been possible. It’s going to be difficult to explain to my four-year-old son that Daddy is not playing for Brighton & Hove Albion any more, his first English word was Seagulls, fact! My seven-month-old daughter was born in Brighton, we were sure about this decision.

My wife is now checking all the clubs around Brighton, she wants to live here, we love it: it’s not England, it’s just Brighton."

There is a part of the Calde family that will be forever Brighton. They've obviously fallen head over heels in love with us and our town. The feeling's mutual.

Bristol area is very nice, Mrs C. We'd love to see you.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
End of an era with Calde going. What a servant to the club both on and off the pitch. He has been one of the key players of recent years but it is the right time to let him go. I'm confident the club will offer him a role once he retires.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We have been so lucky to have such an extraordinary player, and human being, grace our club with his endeavours on and off the pitch. Thank you Inigo, if all men were half the man you are the world would be a better place.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Brian Owen mentioned in the Argus that Calde went and stood on the touchline (still in full kit) in front of the West Stand about half an hour after the final whistle on Monday. I was in the tunnel as well, waiting to do some interviews, and suspected he might be taking it all in - maybe as a last look before the retained list was issued.

But what wasn't mentioned (or noticed) was that, when he turned round to come back up the tunnel, it was obvious he's been in tears. Floods of them.

The man is part of the club and the club is part of him. He has to have a permanent role somewhere, some day.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Brian Owen mentioned in the Argus that Calde went and stood on the touchline (still in full kit) in front of the West Stand about half an hour after the final whistle on Monday. I was in the tunnel as well, waiting to do some interviews, and suspected he might be taking it all in - maybe as a last look before the retained list was issued.

But what wasn't mentioned (or noticed) was that, when he turned round to come back up the tunnel, it was obvious he's been in tears. Floods of them.

The man is part of the club and the club is part of him. He has to have a permanent role somewhere, some day.

This. In whatever non playing capacity, Calde can only enhance what the Albion already has, with his spirit and his genuine passion for the club.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've just watched our home game against Charlton on Latest TV, Calde runs out the dug out with an icepack on his foot when the 3rd goal goes in!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Like everyone else, I was really moved by that letter. It would be nice if the club could do something to honour him before the start of next season. If nothing else, he deserves a very special place on the Legends' Wall

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Oh bloody hell. - I'm a bit of a dry sonnofabitch when it comes to footy and loyalty. I kinda don't believe in it any more. But that teared me up properly - because I know it's heartfelt and true. I'm cut up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Calde the player will be replaced. Calde the person, never will. What an absolute LEGEND of a man.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Other streams have talked about lets not be sentimental well to me football is all about emotion - the highs & lows, the loves & the hates. To me it has always been the passion which a player goes into a game which makes the difference i.e. a poor player good or a good player great and it is this passion which gels with the fans. Come on Brighton review the decision because this guy is the spirit of the new Albion lets not let it go.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think we need a testomonial for the great man. The staff must be gutted

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
they say absence makes the heart grow fonder although, in this case, i don't think that's even possible. if it turns out to be true, i might just have to kidnap him and lock him in my basement so i can ruffle his hair and tickle his beard every day. good luck Calde. hopefully we'll be in the premier league when you return and you can teach our 'big stars' what life and football is really all about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here