Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde on his way?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sentiment. Good squad player, versatile, and a positive force in the dressing room. Will help the younger players come on. Not saying he should be an automatic - or even a regular - first XI starter, but would be good to have around as back up.

This is as good an assessment you'll get of Calde. I love him, but he's not a great player. He's good enough (currently) to help us to stay in this league, not good enough to get us out.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I don't get it with Calde. I know he loves the club and always plays with such enthusiasm and commitment. But he his not a very good right back and and even worse right midfielder.

There are dozen of threads on here asking how we are going to strengthen the squad and get us back into the top 6. Replacing sub-standard players like Calde is one way of dong it. I was disappointed when he and Bruno were offered new contracts. Not because I do not appreciate what they have done for our club, but because it is time for the club to move forward.

Bruno on his day is a beast and can be the best player on the pitch, Calde can have some great games to. But we do need a consistent RB who puts in at least 7/10 performances every game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully he'll retire so we can put the money towards a younger better RB

I know some want him still playing into his 50's but if promotion is the goal, poor old Calde has to be left behind

Promotion :) I've had a great day though

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This speaks volumes as to the way Chris Hughton didn't acknowledge Calderon onto the stage at the POS awards and gave him a begrudging couple of claps as they left the stage.

Maybe Calderon has told Hughton that he is keeping his options open, of course he is entitled to do that.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I wonder if DS enjoyed his meet up with Adam Virgo after the game.

Virgo was co-commentator for BT Sport at Barnet v Gateshead this evening when Barnet gained promotion back to League 2 , so no.

As for Calde I must admit I was surprised he was offered a contract based on the fact Bruno already covers right back. We need youth and speed.
Club announced he had been offered a year not that he had accepted.
As he would be a squad player only his wages should fall in line with that...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Would you not rather have a younger, Championship level defender ? Why is it Hughtons fault if he does leave by the way ?

Totally agree. We are almost entering Alex Ferguson/David Beckham the player can't be bigger than the club territory - much though I love Calde.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I do hope we are not offering Calderon something derisory as it will be yet another indication of the worrying direction this club is going in. Aside from his loyalty and service to the club on and off the pitch he is a more than adequate squad player who can play at full back, on the wing and centre half if required. There should be more than enough cash swimming around now we have the expensive freeloaders off the wage bill

I agree with all that. And further more, from where I sat today Calde and GMS were the best on view today with perhaps Beram being the exception. Besides I believe it's important to have someone in the squad to hold it together. Apparently Calde is not only liked by the fans but the players also.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Have to echo everyone else saying that he shouldnt have even been offered a contract in the first place, unless on significantly reduced terms. He simply isnt good enough for this league any more.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Utterly irrelevant, but on the post match lap of dishonour today a Basque flag was thrown to him and he picked it up and handed it straight back.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Utterly irrelevant, but on the post match lap of dishonour today a Basque flag was thrown to him and he picked it up and handed it straight back.

Lol that was me :facepalm:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Hope he hasn't. He needs to go and take uncle (Bruno) and grandad (Greer) with him.

Bit harsh considering what a brilliant player he and the others have been for Albion over the last few years !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here