Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Caicedo or £100M

Which would you prefer ?

• Total voters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I say take 90m - we went broke not even 27 years ago for less than 1/10 of this amount. Our chairman needs to run a sustainable business, and get repaid for his gamble
We made a 25m profit in 21/22, and based on that we’ll have made a 100m profit last year. Seeing as we’ve already sold Mac A for 35-50m this season, then I think we can be confident of breaking even, particularly with extra Euro money added to the income.

We’re a million miles from a position where we urgently have to sell a £100m asset. We can certainly wait until next season and make the most of him in our European adventure.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I agree - which is why sometimes and at certain times, a player’s intrinsic value to a current squad is more than the realistic market value that a club would get if they sold him at that particular point in his club career.

There’s another reason that I don’t think has been mentioned yet and it maybe only a side issue - However, Saudi’s purchasing power in the European market ( particularly in the form of PIF) will continue to see highly lucrative contracts being offered to top PL and other top European players as they continue to develop their own league, (the way the PL has been doing for years to the rest of European leagues of course) - IMO, this will benefit ‘feeder’ clubs like ours, as it will inflate the market price of the top quality players in the Big 7 clubs/European clubs (not being able to compete with Saudi wage structures they will risk loosing some key players every transfer window and/or their ability to compete in the transfer market for top players in Europe will, unlike the Saudis, be unilaterally restricted by FFP - (Anyway I won’t be loosing any sleep over it - the more cream the Saudis skim off the Big 7 clubs the better AFAIC 🙂)

I don’t think we will really see the knock on effects for smaller clubs that the Saudis will have on European/PL clubs until next season but that’s another reason why it’s worth hanging on to our most lucrative players for the time being - Moises may see his market value tripled by next season if 2 or 3 Big 7 clubs have lost a few of their top defensive midfielders to the Saudis.
the same applied/applies to Dunk always worth more to us than the market price....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I say take 90m - we went broke not even 27 years ago for less than 1/10 of this amount. Our chairman needs to run a sustainable business, and get repaid for his gamble

Our ancient history is an irrelevance here, as is the price we paid for Caicedo.

All that matters is full market value, in a market where the Rice fee was £105m.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Our ancient history is an irrelevance here, as is the price paid for Caicedo.

All that matters is full market value, in a market where the Rice fee was £105m.
I agree and we may have been broke but not into receivership. close but a huge difference.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Caicedo for another season because I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s worth £120m after this season.
I would, unless he goes to Saudi (which he won't unless he gets a higher profile by starring in European competition - see the difficulty there if he goes to Chelsea!) I think prices may have just peaked. Big clubs like the Manchester ones and Liverpool are already becoming more careful about how much they spend (as in, for example, Kane, Bellingham? - nah, too much, just move on). If he goes to a CL club - and more importantly from his and his agent's point of view, a mega-bucks paying one - in a year's time and we can only (!!) get say £80M, that £20M we lose (that's if we were ever going to get it in the first place) would probably be worth it to have him here another year and into the Europa League final stages.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I would, unless he goes to Saudi (which he won't unless he gets a higher profile by starring in European competition - see the difficulty there if he goes to Chelsea!) I think price may have just peaked. Big clubs like the Manchester ones and Liverpool are already becoming more careful about how much they spend (as on, fpr example, Kane, Bellingham? - nah, too much, just move on). If he goes to a CL club - and more importantly from his and his agent's point of view, a mega-bucks paying one - in a year's time and we can only (!!) get say £80M, that £20M we lose (that's if we were ever going to get it in the first place) would probably be worth it to have him here another year and into the Europa League final stages.
Indeed you can't lose something you never had.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Absolutely wrong. He will be worth more after next season. It makes no sense at all.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’d take the £100m.
He has had his head turned.
We could buy 3 £30m players who we know about and add quality in depth.
I’m thinking Coutinho for Van Dyke, Alison and another.
Moises is a star player but with Europe this year I’m sure quality in the squad is more important.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d take the £100m.
He has had his head turned.
We could buy 3 £30m players who we know about and add quality in depth.
I’m thinking Coutinho for Van Dyke, Alison and another.
Moises is a star player but with Europe this year I’m sure quality in the squad is more important.

That was THE way to do it.

As opposed to Bale’s £85m = Chadli, Capoue, Soldado, Lamela & Paulinho.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It’s not my money so whether he goes in a year for 70, 110 or whatever, he is a magnificent player and we will gain considerably in our chances of a very good season if he’s playing for us.
I‘m not counting any chickens though!
I agree with this. We could take £100m now (if indeed that offer ever comes) but I’d rather have the player with us for another season.

if, in a year’s time, he ends up moving for £80m, there will be loads wishing to paint it as a failing, but we’ll have enjoyed the player for another year, and probably achieved more because of it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
5x the wages on an eight year deal. Pretty damn compelling.
Seems unlikely he’d get both. Supposedly the reason Chelsea felt they were being clever with the 8 year contracts is because the wages aren’t actually that high. They need to be low enough that the player can be offloaded if he turns out to be a dud.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Just seen this interview on SSN. Doesn't seem quite the humble man we were told - not sure you should refer to yourself as incredible, Moises! :laugh:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I know these are young naive men but I don't want to hear another very very well paid footballer on a very good (brand new) contract trying to manufacture a move to earn a boatload more money talk of "suffering". See also Anthony Gordon.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just seen this interview on SSN. Doesn't seem quite the humble man we were told - not sure you should refer to yourself as incredible, Moises! :laugh:

Strange timing, almost like they weren’t happy with the rumours that he wanted out!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Was that load of hogwash written by the same person who wrote that hogwash last January about his ten starving siblings that he had to support when he was unsettled by the Arsenal offer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here