Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Caicedo and MacAllister, How Well Have They Done Since They Left Us?

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
All of this is true, but so is what THPP said. The fact is, the club were offered an eye watering sum for Caicedo and so they took it. Obviously there is an acceptance that it makes us weaker, but in some ways they've been vindicated. What if we had decided to keep him for another year and Caicedo had been in this shit form for us? His transfer value would have had about £60m wiped from it!

We just have to accept that the decision was a no brainer but has a down side.

Yeah this is very true. I guess it’s a bit like we’ve seen with Ferguson, standing out over a season doesn’t mean it’ll definitely continue into the next, though I have no doubt both of them will come good again.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I was in a site cabin the other day and a couple of the blokes in there were chatting about MacAllister and how he's not done anything since he's moved to Liverpool.
My faith in their opinion dropped quite a lot when one of them added "I suppose it was easier for him to stand out at Brighton when he was surrounded by average players".

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was in a site cabin the other day and a couple of the blokes in there were chatting about MacAllister and how he's not done anything since he's moved to Liverpool.
My faith in their opinion dropped quite a lot when one of them added "I suppose it was easier for him to stand out at Brighton when he was surrounded by average players".
The thing with Mac is that he oils the wheels and joins things up without any fuss. Such is his efficiency he is almost ghost like on the pitch. I can understand people thinking he doesn’t do much as he just doesn’t stand out to those fans who don’t have a clue about football.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
To be fair to Caicedo has anyone other than Palmer stood out in the shambles that is the Chelsea team this season?

Ally Mac seemlessly fitting into Liverpool is no surprise to most of us. I think Caicedo would have done too if he'd joined them instead of Chelsea.

In an ideal world we would have kept them both and sold Undav for 90m instead.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The thing with Mac is that he oils the wheels and joins things up without any fuss. Such is his efficiency he is almost ghost like on the pitch. I can understand people thinking he doesn’t do much as he just doesn’t stand out to those fans who don’t have a clue about football.
Our biggest miss , pissed he went for peanuts.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Completely this. One of those rare players that makes everything he does look straight forward. Gets ball, moves ball, finds team mate be it with either a 5 or 50 yard pass. A big miss.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
(Reports said) the agent secretly made contact and did a deal with Chelsea straight after Arteta failed to get Caicedo, exactly a year ago. He got a vast fee from doing that. In the previous year for example, ManC directly paid agents £51m and Chelsea £43m to buy an advantage in signing players.

I’d love FIFA to outlaw club to agent payments.
Wouldn't it have been great (apart from in the footballing sense) if Caicedo had turned round and said, "Yeh, OK, I'll sign for Liverpool - I want to win things and play good football" - and then his greedy agent would have had to pay back all that money to Chelsea!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Wouldn't it have been great (apart from in the footballing sense) if Caicedo had turned round and said, "Yeh, OK, I'll sign for Liverpool - I want to win things and play good football" - and then his greedy agent would have had to pay back all that money to Chelsea!

On that final day the agent and one of the Chelsea owners from the states took personal control, the player was swept out of the picture.

It's a funny thing, £115m was madness, Liverpool unusually swept up in a Chelsea-esque dutch auction ... they got away with it. He is and will be a quality DM, but for one week the numbers got out of control.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
To be fair to Caicedo has anyone other than Palmer stood out in the shambles that is the Chelsea team this season?

Ally Mac seemlessly fitting into Liverpool is no surprise to most of us. I think Caicedo would have done too if he'd joined them instead of Chelsea.

In an ideal world we would have kept them both and sold Undav for 90m instead.

I'll put this out there.... Is Caicedo actually that good? He was outstanding for Brighton, but was that just a purple patch and playing out of his skin as he was just into the team?

Bloke only played 40 PL games, plenty of players have looked decent for a period of time, but not over a longer period.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'll put this out there.... Is Caicedo actually that good? He was outstanding for Brighton, but was that just a purple patch and playing out of his skin as he was just into the team?

Bloke only played 40 PL games, plenty of players have looked decent for a period of time, but not over a longer period.
Yes, I think he is that good. Although maybe he needs the right conditions to play at that level and that's what we offered him. I think Liverpool would have offered him that too.

It's something I never understand about players when they move. They rarely seem to take into account the state of the club they are moving too. If I was a player I'd go nowhere near Chelsea or Man utd as they are utter shit shows, careers are short and a failure at that type of club can have a lasting detrimental effect on your career at the biggest clubs.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Our biggest miss , pissed he went for peanuts.
I just don't buy it - there were shenanigans afoot.

Mac goes to Liverpool for a low - middling price. Liverpool come in with a 110 million bid for Caicedo and Chelsea overbid it. When Klopp announced it, it just sounded like he was following a script ("I have been asked to announce that we have bid 110m for Caicedo").

The whole 3-way deal was to get good deals for Liverpool and us at the expense of the Chelsea mug. Candy from a baby.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Caicedo has had a shocker here

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, I think he is that good. Although maybe he needs the right conditions to play at that level and that's what we offered him. I think Liverpool would have offered him that too.

It's something I never understand about players when they move. They rarely seem to take into account the state of the club they are moving too. If I was a player I'd go nowhere near Chelsea or Man utd as they are utter shit shows, careers are short and a failure at that type of club can have a lasting detrimental effect on your career at the biggest clubs.

His money lusting agent took total control, reaching an illegal deal with Winstanley/Clearlake exactly a year ago, after they copied Arsenal’s interest. Caicedo just a young, naive ‘asset’.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

I think it could be a bit of both. He is a much better player than he is showing at the moment but I think it’s certainly possible that the system we played did also do a bit in helping him to look outstanding and maybe he isn’t quite as good as we’ve all thought he was. Not dissimilar to Cucurella a bit, he’s never looked as good as he did at Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here