Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Barnes [Merge of many threads]

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Incidentally, I may sound like that last post was defending Barnes but IF he tried to trip the ref, then he's been a first class fool and ahould be disciplined by the club. If he didn't and the red is rescinded it'll be interesting to see where the ragers on here go..

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Gus shipped out Sparrow eventually after too many reds and he thought he couldn't cut it. Funny enough I really rate sparrow and thought he could offer something. Anyway, Barnes isn't really a gifted player, more hard work but if he did try to trip the ref, I think it could be one of his last games for us. Cash in in the summer.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Gus shipped out Sparrow eventually after too many reds and he thought he couldn't cut it. Funny enough I really rate sparrow and thought he could offer something. Anyway, Barnes isn't really a gifted player, more hard work but if he did try to trip the ref, I think it could be one of his last games for us. Cash in in the summer.

...depending on what other clubs are willing to offer.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Radio Sussex and Poyet summed it up, rather than speculative Barnes haters on here.

Foul and abusive language.

Barnes has a psychological problem, with that uncontrollable temper.

They are now going to help him to better it, but it will be his last chance.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Radio Sussex and Poyet summed it up, rather than speculative Barnes haters on here.

Foul and abusive language.

Barnes has a psychological problem, with that uncontrollable temper.

They are now going to help him to better it, but it will be his last chance.

What like they didn't know he had a uncontrollable temper until today!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He niggles and cheats at every opportunity, often aiming kicks at players behind the ref's back. He dives all the time...he back-chats...he overreacts when things don't go his way.

I hate to say it but I agree. If you want reasons as to why people seem to dislike Barnes more than other players then here is your answer. I have lost count of the times I have thought 'Get up/Shut up Barnes and get on with the game'. He is a good player, a good finisher (usually), defends well and tracks back well. He is however, a petulant, whinging, back chatting player.

I tell you what sums it up for me. When Vicente scored his 2nd against Pompey last season Barnes had a moan that the ball was not passed to him.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
This happened during the 4 mins of stoppage time, during a spell of intense Brighton pressure, when for the first time in a long time, patient build up was replaced by long-ball. Barnes was arguing with the ref, the ref just stood there pointing to the tunnel. Bruno ran fully 40 yards and dragged Barnes away towards the tunnel, pushing him several times.

Of course I couldn't hear, but the actions observed were saying: "get of the pitch quick you fuc kwit, we're losing more time to try and score that equalizer" - the arguing continued, so the ref just blew for the end of the game.

In any sport [I'm a sports coach], you need; technical, tactical, physical & mental skills of a very high standard to perform at the elite level. If your substandard in one of those key disciplines, unless resolved, you're never gonna make / sustain elite class status - sadly this player is one such case.

Feb 14, 2010
This happened during the 4 mins of stoppage time, during a spell of intense Brighton pressure, when for the first time in a long time, patient build up was replaced by long-ball. Barnes was arguing with the ref, the ref just stood there pointing to the tunnel. Bruno ran fully 40 yards and dragged Barnes away towards the tunnel, pushing him several times.

Of course I couldn't hear, but the actions observed were saying: "get of the pitch quick you fuc kwit, we're losing more time to try and score that equalizer" - the arguing continued, so the ref just blew for the end of the game.

In any sport [I'm a sports coach], you need; technical, tactical, physical & mental skills of a very high standard to perform at the elite level. If your substandard in one of those key disciplines, unless resolved, you're never gonna make / sustain elite class status - sadly this player is one such case.

To be fair, if he could score goals then people would forgive him but as he has missed a hatful of sitters and couldnt hit a barn door from 5 paces when in front of goal then they wont. He's just not a forward.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Driving home from the game I tried to put the outcome in some context. There was a lot of provocation all across the pitch from Bolton whose rough stuff was largely ignored by the Ref. We received a similar kicking at Sheff Weds where we looked lightweight and then just rolled over after Barnes' red card.

However today I was pleased to see The Albion respond to the provocation with a really spirited performance that deserved at least a point. In spite of the provocation we stuck to the task. Virtually all of our outfield players received a battering today but sadly and rather predictably it was only Ashley Barnes who was rather too easily suckered by Bolton into a naive red mist in injury time. I think Gus will have some sympathy for Barnes given how little protection the Ref gave the Albion players but I also suspect Gus will be more seriously pissed off with the naiviety that Barnes showed and the consequences it could now have for our whole season.

OK there will be loads of bile poured on Barnes tonight but if we had got the points we deserved we would have been purring over the team's performance. I thought Ulloa showed some really classy touches and with the right support he could become a stellar Albion player. Buckley was a lot more involved than of late. Barnes got into some dangerous positions in front of goal. Even Bridders had a couple of shots. But in a game where we had a lot of possession and lots of set pieces around their box we never really battered their goal or really troubled their keeper. Our preference for taking short corners and free kicks became a tad too predictable and couldn't understand why we just don't mix this up with simple passes to the queue of either Bruno, Lopez, Vicente or Orlandi often waiting unmarked on the edge of the box with space for a shot. It seemed a game made for the dead ball talents of our flair-istas but they didn't have their shooting boots on.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
There was also an incident a minute or 2 earlier where Barnes had 'fallen over' and was 'injured' but play was going on. Ulloa went over to him and told him to get up and onside (at least that was my interpretation) so maybe the players are getting fed up with him as well.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Driving home from the game I tried to put the outcome in some context. There was a lot of provocation all across the pitch from Bolton whose rough stuff was largely ignored by the Ref. We received a similar kicking at Sheff Weds where we looked lightweight and then just rolled over after Barnes' red card.

However today I was pleased to see The Albion respond to the provocation with a really spirited performance that deserved at least a point. In spite of the provocation we stuck to the task. Virtually all of our outfield players received a battering today but sadly and rather predictably it was only Ashley Barnes who was rather too easily suckered by Bolton into a naive red mist in injury time. I think Gus will have some sympathy for Barnes given how little protection the Ref gave the Albion players but I also suspect Gus will be more seriously pissed off with the naiviety that Barnes showed and the consequences it could now have for our whole season.

OK there will be loads of bile poured on Barnes tonight but if we had got the points we deserved we would have been purring over the team's performance. I thought Ulloa showed some really classy touches and with the right support he could become a stellar Albion player. Buckley was a lot more involved than of late. Barnes got into some dangerous positions in front of goal. Even Bridders had a couple of shots. But in a game where we had a lot of possession and lots of set pieces around their box we never really battered their goal or really troubled their keeper. Our preference for taking short corners and free kicks became a tad too predictable and couldn't understand why we just don't mix this up with simple passes to the queue of either Bruno, Lopez, Vicente or Orlandi often waiting unmarked on the edge of the box with space for a shot. It seemed a game made for the dead ball talents of our flair-istas but they didn't have their shooting boots on.
Good post.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Kind of ironic that the people who've been calling for Barnes to be dropped are now outraged by the fact he's got himself banned. You would think they'd be delighted.

nipponseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Tha's just brilliant, isn't it! Need a striker and he gets sent off [again!] so he's out for 3 games- what an idiot!! No strikers on the bench yesterday either. God forbid something happens to Ulloa -then what?!?

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
At Wednesday he took it out on another player. Today he took it out on the ref. Sorry, I hope he never wears the Stripes again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here