Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bye Bye Barnes [Merge of many threads]

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think it's quite petty that his detractors can't just congratulate a good performance without somehow trying to belittle it; the opponents were poor, they had x first teamers out, he was only good because the rest of the team played well.

Barnes and McSmudger need to go in the summer neither are good enough for this division

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Always a fiery character, so it's a risk you take in playing him. I don't think a sending off will signal the end of his Albion career or provokes the undeniable label of DISGRACE. He'll be needed before the season is out and i look forward to him being available again.
Signing off now.
A grown up.

Just noticed THIS voice of reason among the villagers with flaming torches on the way to the castle.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He also made a very good lay-off which led to one of the goals (forget which) and was vocal, energetic and pacy throughout the game. One of his goals was beautifully taken, the other professionally dispatched. Not all strikers at the club would necessarily have got them, as we have seen on numerous occasions.

His control and flick set up Buckley's goal was a "champagne moment" for me. And he's first was a great finish

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
His control and flick set up Buckley's goal was a "champagne moment" for me. And he's first was a great finish
That's a fair comment, it got lost in the moment esp from the North East corner.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He lost his defender expertly for the first. It's not the only time he has done that over the years. As many have said - he gets in great positions so sometimes the misses look worse - but his scoring ratio is not half bad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Steady on.

Are you sure ? It was just a standard bit of control and pass wasn't it ? And to say that he set up Buckley's goal is stretching it a bit. I mean - give the bloke his due but a 'champagne moment' ?
It certainly wasn't Ulloa's 40 yard pass into Buckley's stride while a Leicester player tried to get inside his kit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Starting Barnes on Saturday was a massively significant moment.

The Albion are chasing the Premier League dream worth many tens of millions of pounds and many, upon hearing the line-up on Saturday, would have been both thinking and saying "Ulloa may be tired, but what the hell is Poyet doing?"

Gus gave Barnes a massive vote of confidence by letting him lead the line in a game where three points was absolutely vital, and the faith placed in him was repaid.

It's time to draw a line under tripping-the-ref-gate (which he clearly did mean) and look forward, not back. The Ashley Barnes we all saw on Saturday is the one we need.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Starting Barnes on Saturday was a massively significant moment.

The Albion are chasing the Premier League dream worth many tens of millions of pounds and many, upon hearing the line-up on Saturday, would have been both thinking and saying "Ulloa may be tired, but what the hell is Poyet doing?"

Gus gave Barnes a massive vote of confidence by letting him lead the line in a game where three points was absolutely vital, and the faith placed in him was repaid.

It's time to draw a line under tripping-the-ref-gate (which he clearly did mean) and look forward, not back. The Ashley Barnes we all saw on Saturday is the one we need.

Agreed.

But where is the fun in that ?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Steady on.

Are you sure ? It was just a standard bit of control and pass wasn't it ? And to say that he set up Buckley's goal is stretching it a bit. I mean - give the bloke his due but a 'champagne moment' ?

If you like. Was the third goal a lucky deflection back to Orlandi and a toe-poke?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
If you like. Was the third goal a lucky deflection back to Orlandi and a toe-poke?

No - they were great pieces of skill and had us on our feet in appreciation.

I was just doubting that Barnes's contribution to Buckley's goal was either (a) a champange moment or (b) a goal set-up. To me it was simply good movement, nice chest control and pass.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No - they were great pieces of skill and had us on our feet in appreciation.

I was just doubting that Barnes's contribution to Buckley's goal was either (a) a champange moment or (b) a goal set-up. To me it was simply good movement, nice chest control and pass.

It was a sublime move.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here