Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

By- Election imminent LUCAS arrested at Balcombe.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
MPs are law makers, and as such, should be beyond reproach. Lucas can not pick the laws she will obey and the ones she will not.
I have a job that involves having to have CRB checks and if I was convicted of any criminal offence, I would lose my job and would find it very hard to get another one in the same field. Any police officer would lose their job if convicted of any criminal offence and rightly so as they are supposed to up hold the law, whether they agree with it or not. MPs should not have the right to choose which laws they can follow and which ones they can not. Peaceful law abiding protests and the ballot box is the way to change things. Democracy is about the majority and not the minority. That's why things like Fox hunting were banned. I am afraid Lucas may be the hero today, however she would have lost a lot of respect.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
MPs are law makers, and as such, should be beyond reproach. Lucas can not pick the laws she will obey and the ones she will not.
I have a job that involves having to have CRB checks and if I was convicted of any criminal offence, I would lose my job and would find it very hard to get another one in the same field. Any police officer would lose their job if convicted of any criminal offence and rightly so as they are supposed to up hold the law, whether they agree with it or not. MPs should not have the right to choose which laws they can follow and which ones they can not. Peaceful law abiding protests and the ballot box is the way to change things. Democracy is about the majority and not the minority. That's why things like Fox hunting were banned. I am afraid Lucas may be the hero today, however she would have lost a lot of respect.

Very good post.

She should not be allowed to remain in her post if convicted. In the same way employees would be "let go" if they got a conviction.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
There is ample solar, wind and tide energy to power the country with no environmental impact ???

You surely cannot believe that. Fortunately, Greenpeace are highly unlikely to ever have the chance to put their ridiculous policies into practice.
We need nuclear, coal, gas, oil and possibly fracking. We should stop building anymore of those frighteningly expensive, disfiguring and useless windturbines.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I completely agree.

Whether or not Lucas' actions were admirable or not, she is an elected representative and she is OBLIGED to act within the law.

Imagine if a police officer was arrested for a similar offence and then carried on being allowed to serve...there would be uproar!

Ms Lucas knew exactly what the impact of her actions would be and the media coverage it would receive. She also knows that the Greens are in trouble in her constituency and so, I don't believe what she has done was for the "greater good" but more for her career when she leaves politics.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Unfortunately, Timmy won't be able to see the reaction to his post until he gets home from work. Now he isn't something big in the city, he doesn't have Web access. Guess it stops him burning too many burgers

I thought he had been promoted recently to putting the slices of gherkin on top of the burger ???

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Good constituency MP, great on local issues. I'll be voting for her again next time.

Presumably you're not a refuse collector or anyone who worked' in a council run fitness centre. What hypocrit she is, complains in parliament about government cuts whilst cutting local services and pay in her own back yard. She s on a bandwagon, came to Brighton to get a seat, has no real local knowledge and sometimes appears quite irrational in her arguements. Reckon she'll be gone next election, her partys' policies are costing the good folk of Brighton and Hove a lot of money.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Presumably you're not a refuse collector or anyone who worked' in a council run fitness centre. What hypocrit she is, complains in parliament about government cuts whilst cutting local services and pay in her own back yard. She s on a bandwagon, came to Brighton to get a seat, has no real local knowledge and sometimes appears quite irrational in her arguements. Reckon she'll be gone next election, her partys' policies are costing the good folk of Brighton and Hove a lot of money.

You know she supported the binman in their strike?

Presumably you're not a refuse collector or anyone who worked' in a council run fitness centre. What hypocrit she is, complains in parliament about government cuts whilst cutting local services and pay in her own back yard.
It's the Council, not the MP, that cuts services - to comply with instructions from the Government.

But you raise an interesting point. The Green Party administration at Brighton & Hove City Council had the opportunity to resist the government's spending cuts, but chose not to do so.

I wonder what the reaction would have been if the Greens had done something that SERIOUSLY confronted the spending policies of the government. My guess is that there would have been an outpouring of rage, from exactly the same people who are attacking Caroline Lucas over her activities at Balcombe.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Interesting given there are reports that police officers removed their ID tags at the protest - will you be calling for them to be chastised in the same way you are for Lucas ?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You surely cannot believe that. Fortunately, Greenpeace are highly unlikely to ever have the chance to put their ridiculous policies into practice.
We need nuclear, coal, gas, oil and possibly fracking. We should stop building anymore of those frighteningly expensive, disfiguring and useless windturbines.

This point of view is as wrong as spun cuppa's.

The sooner we get away from the polar extremes in the energy argument the better. We need renewables, nuclear and shale gas at the moment. We need to ween ourselves off coal and oil and that will take a long time.

Unfortunately no politician is saying this because it is not a popular view. That's why Lucas is so abhorrent to me. We lack leadership in this area - not just in the UK, but globally.

As a result, we are most likely screwed - certainly our children are. The energy crisis is their equivalent to the nuclear threat I grew up with in the 70s and 80s. The difference is that this bomb is actually going off.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Interesting given there are reports that police officers removed their ID tags at the protest - will you be calling for them to be chastised in the same way you are for Lucas ?

They also apparently threatened to arrest journalists for reporting and filming

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

...really ? Wow. Short sighted much.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The time for setting up renewable energy was 10 years ago, now the infrastructure is so delayed we need to heavily invest in nucleur, or continue to use oil and coal and look to a very bleak future.

Agree with Hamilton, we need a strong leader on this issue, unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Here's the Green Party leader talking on a visit to Balcombe earlier this month.

Her name's Natalie Bennett BTW.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Here's the Green Party leader talking on a visit to Balcombe earlier this month.

Her name's Natalie Bennett BTW.

She came across as nutty as a fruit cake on Question Time a while back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here