Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley a market town in N. England with a population of 73,500 (less than Worthing).....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Decisions even themselves out over a season. Derby got away with a very good shout for a penalty for us in both games this year.

You miss the point, whether it was a penalty or not is kind of irrelevant, it wasn't a dive, he didn't appeal, we scored. But instead of 1-1 & 11 v 11, it's 1-0 and 11v10

Jan 10, 2014
Yep. Should have been a penalty. I've seen it a lot, and Martin doesn't slip - as his left foot is landing, the defender catches it, so his foot lands on its side, and he falls. So it should have been a penalty, but it was difficult for the ref to see, so the game carries on, and Derby score. So it's 1-1. But instead of that, the ref makes it 1 nil to Burnley, and sends Martin off. It doesn't really matter how good Burnley were before the incident, it should have been 1-1, 11 v 11. Horrendous decision. I can't ever think of a worse one.

It looks like a dive to the ref (and it looked like a dive to thousands of other people who were there). Martin put the ref in a position yesterday by constantly elbowing, wrestling and leaving the boot in. Martin should have been off a good 15 minutes earlier and he was firmly in the refs sights.

It probably wouldn't have been a goal if the ref had have played on because the Burnley players stopped for the whistle.

Jan 10, 2014
So when was Burnley's bad luck this year?

Brighton away - Heaton sent off

Derby at home - Barnes tripped from behind in the box, no penalty given

Huddersfield away - Duff sent off for 'not' handling the ball inside or outside the box, penalty given.

Leicester away - Vardy on his way down due to being tackled fairly by Shackell, Ben Mee touches him, penalty.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Neither do they have the crowds, only 17285 at yesterdays game, pathetic

Baloney, for a town of some 70,000 their crowds are magnificent. As a proportion of their population probably the best in England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It looks like a dive to the ref (and it looked like a dive to thousands of other people who were there). Martin put the ref in a position yesterday by constantly elbowing, wrestling and leaving the boot in. Martin should have been off a good 15 minutes earlier and he was firmly in the refs sights.

It probably wouldn't have been a goal if the ref had have played on because the Burnley players stopped for the whistle.
It would have been a goal, he belted it as soon as the ref was blowing the whistle, and the keeper certainly didn't stop, he was well beaten. The ref must have thought it was a dive, which is why the ref made such a huge mistake. Martin hadn't put him in a difficult position at all, he's been battling for the ball a few times, but it's questionable whether he'd ever done anything to earn a single yellow card. But even if the first yellow card was fair, it was still a huge mistake by the ref. It should have been 1-1, 11 vs 11.

Well I was at that game. In the first half, Will Buckley had only Heaton to beat, Heaton brought him down and should have been straight off, but only got a yellow. So Heaton was lucky to have stayed on the pitch as long as he did.

Derby at home - Barnes tripped from behind in the box, no penalty given
Thanks to the ref, you were 2 nil up against 10 men when Barnes came on, with just 10 minutes to go. And your idea of bad luck is not getting another decision. And you won the game :facepalm:

Huddersfield away - Duff sent off for 'not' handling the ball inside or outside the box, penalty given.
Duff wasn't sent off, get your facts straight. He was given a yellow card for handball. He wasn't sent of until well into injury time.

Leicester away - Vardy on his way down due to being tackled fairly by Shackell, Ben Mee touches him, penalty.
I doubt you'll find an independent report that agrees with you there.

So, you're not the best person to ask for an unbiased view on Burnley's season. No worries. Not that I've suggested Burnley haven't earned their place near the top. I was only commenting on the decision yesterday, as I can't remember a worse refereeing decision.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Hmmm...Heaton was extremely lucky not to get a straight red for his tackle on Buckley, so this was definitely NOT an example of poor luck for Burnley. I have to say, I think one of the key reasons for Burnley's great showing this year is simply they have an excellent manager. We do, too, but he is still learning about the Championship, and has had horrendous misfortune with injuries.

Jan 10, 2014
I was only commenting on the decision yesterday, as I can't remember a worse refereeing decision.

You can't have watched much football then, although it seems that you've watched quite a bit of Burnley this season. According to you Martin was only 'battling for the ball' in that first half. Where were you sat in the ground?

Thanks to the ref, you were 2 nil up

Oh that's what it was, I think we should try and sign him on for next season then.

Duff wasn't sent off, get your facts straight. He was given a yellow card for handball.

Duff was sent off in injury time :D (I was there honest, it must have been the ale) . Huddersfield got a penalty through a non handball which was outside the box anyway.

I doubt you'll find an independent report that agrees with you there.

Well you're independent and no doubt you saw the game, do you agree?

Lucky Burnley

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
No idea, I sell stuff for a living. But I think Burnley still had some parachute payment money, maybe that's helped. Maybe they've been able to spend a little more across the board on the playing side, I don't imagine they have anything like the overheads we have either.

In 2012-13, our wage bill was more than a third higher than Burnley's (they spent £15.4million, we spent £20.9million).

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Living only a few miles out of Burnley and knowing a lot of Burnley fans, they are as amazed as anyone to find themselves in the position they are. The overriding factor for them is that they have had very few injuries and certainly none to their main players. Ings has had a great season, Vokes has had a run of games and has been played to his strengths and Trippier is pretty much the best defender in this league. The fans all complain that very little of their parachute payment money has been spent on new players but they have been lucky to get some serious money in recent years from transfers. Austin, Rodriguez, Fletcher.
I think that theyve relied on Austin the last couple of seasons to get their goals and now he is no longer there, the focus has been on the whole team and not just hoof it up to Charlie.

Exactly this. I know a couple of Burnley fans and they are just as baffled by the team's success, although they said that they think the team has taken immense confidence from their unbeaten run and look as if they don't believe they can lose, a bit like Reading when they went up under McDermott. But they also wonder what might happen if they lose back-to-back games and suddenly realise that they're, er, Burnley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
In 2012-13, our wage bill was more than a third higher than Burnley's (they spent £15.4million, we spent £20.9million).

The Albion employs hundreds of staff in other roles, Burnley have a tea lady and a bloke with a magic sponge.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
No idea, I sell stuff for a living. But I think Burnley still had some parachute payment money, maybe that's helped. Maybe they've been able to spend a little more across the board on the playing side, I don't imagine they have anything like the overheads we have either.

Basically they saved up all their parachute money and this season decided to spend and offer good wages to reach the prem, good idea really. Parachute payments make FFP a joke.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Kieran Trippier is a fantastic player for Burnley. Best right back in the division.

I also think Sean Dyche is a pretty decent manager at this level.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Surely it's all about hinterland with them? Lots of successful teams around them in the North West - presumably if any of them drop any promising players, the other teams in the area can pick them up. We don't have that level of mutual support from other teams around us.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Kieran Trippier is a fantastic player for Burnley. Best right back in the division.

I also think Sean Dyche is a pretty decent manager at this level.

Agree on both parts.

Regarding Dyche though , I cant see him ever being a recognised premier manager , I struggle to take him seriously when I see his interviews. Maybe its his beard. Can't argue with his record though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here