Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley a market town in N. England with a population of 73,500 (less than Worthing).....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
According to FL show both Burnley and Leicester play 4-4-2 formations, so maybe that's the answer.

No you have to play 4-5-1 or 4-1-3-5-6-2-4 . Do some searches ffs.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Quite, look at Wigan historically

There is a big difference to Wigan and to Burnley's good run this season. Wigans rise through the Leagues was financed by a generous sugar Daddy. If it hadn't been for Dave Whelan, chances are they would still be floundering about in the lower leagues.

Although Burnley is a small town, they have a long 'tradition' in football history. They haven't had the degree of somebody with Whelans financial clout in recent years to bankroll them. They got to the Premier League a few years back without serious money behind them. This season, they have made shrewd signings and used the money from the sale of Austin plus what they have left of their parachute payments wisely

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Yes, I don't see why the OP is so patronising because it's a small town. the difference is that it's always been a FOOTBALL town. Brighton isn't, there's too many other distractions.

Not being patronising in the slightest, just wondered what they are doing differently to ourselves.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
BRITISH manager who understands the championship because he's BRITISH.
Someone beat me to the 442. So I'm going to go with the catering, the color of the away kit, or who they have taking corners.

Everything in football is overdetermined. There are way more causes than there are possible effects -- promotion, relegation, win, loss. And that's before blind chance.

It's what keeps it interesting, but makes it difficult to generalize.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
How to have children with six digits on each hand?

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
No idea, I sell stuff for a living. But I think Burnley still had some parachute payment money, maybe that's helped. Maybe they've been able to spend a little more across the board on the playing side, I don't imagine they have anything like the overheads we have either.

Neither do they have the crowds, only 17285 at yesterdays game, pathetic

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Living only a few miles out of Burnley and knowing a lot of Burnley fans, they are as amazed as anyone to find themselves in the position they are. The overriding factor for them is that they have had very few injuries and certainly none to their main players. Ings has had a great season, Vokes has had a run of games and has been played to his strengths and Trippier is pretty much the best defender in this league. The fans all complain that very little of their parachute payment money has been spent on new players but they have been lucky to get some serious money in recent years from transfers. Austin, Rodriguez, Fletcher.
I think that theyve relied on Austin the last couple of seasons to get their goals and now he is no longer there, the focus has been on the whole team and not just hoof it up to Charlie.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
In which case, what has the population of the town got to do with it?

To be fair to him, the more successful clubs usually come from the biggest places. Looking at average town size as you go through the divisions shows this clearly. To say that population size has nothing to do with success rates just isn't true, as a rule.

The fact that there are so many other big and successful clubs nearby makes Burnley's achievements even more incredible.

Aug 23, 2011
Sell your best player, don't get any injuries, then benefit from the worst refereeing decision in the history of football.

Are you referring to the red card yesterday? It probably wasn't the worst decision of yesterday and before that they were on top and they have been very good at home this year

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think it's just all come together for them this season: very few injuries to key players and two strikers having the best season of their careers.

I really hope Burnley get the 2nd spot ahead of QPR, and it's looking more likely by the week.

One thing, as fans, that we can learn is that you can sell your best players and come away from it stronger. The circa 4m we got for Bridcutt and Barnes is around the same as Burnley got for Austin. Let's hope it's spent as well in the summer.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are you referring to the red card yesterday?
Yep. Should have been a penalty. I've seen it a lot, and Martin doesn't slip - as his left foot is landing, the defender catches it, so his foot lands on its side, and he falls. So it should have been a penalty, but it was difficult for the ref to see, so the game carries on, and Derby score. So it's 1-1. But instead of that, the ref makes it 1 nil to Burnley, and sends Martin off. It doesn't really matter how good Burnley were before the incident, it should have been 1-1, 11 v 11. Horrendous decision. I can't ever think of a worse one.

Aug 23, 2011
I have also watched it a lot and I don't think it was a penalty but agree that it was a slip and thought it was harsh to book him for diving, he didn't actually seem to appeal for it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yep. Should have been a penalty. I've seen it a lot, and Martin doesn't slip - as his left foot is landing, the defender catches it, so his foot lands on its side, and he falls. So it should have been a penalty, but it was difficult for the ref to see, so the game carries on, and Derby score. So it's 1-1. But instead of that, the ref makes it 1 nil to Burnley, and sends Martin off. It doesn't really matter how good Burnley were before the incident, it should have been 1-1, 11 v 11. Horrendous decision. I can't ever think of a worse one.

Me neither, I very rarely point the finger of blame for a result at the ref, but that was as bad decision as I've ever seen, and such an important one as well.....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Me neither, I very rarely point the finger of blame for a result at the ref, but that was as bad decision as I've ever seen, and such an important one as well.....

Decisions even themselves out over a season. Derby got away with a very good shout for a penalty for us in both games this year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Decisions even themselves out over a season.
No they don't. Some years it evens out, some you get a few more going your way, other years things go against you.
Derby got away with a very good shout for a penalty for us in both games this year.
So when was Burnley's bad luck this year? And Chris Martin will miss a game too - although Claridge said Derby would definitely appeal the decision, I didn't think you could appeal when it was 2 yellow cards. Which conveniently brings me to another subject. **** me the FL Show was ****ing shit last night. Everything they said was completely wrong (I don't normally watch it these days, so perhaps I'm unused to the current standards - or lack of).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here