Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burn

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You know Graham Potter is also an ex-pro footballer? And so was Sami Hyypiä and Leon Best and a 100 000 other people who are not automatically right just because they are ex-footballers. Solly March also had limited experience as LB, did GP give himself a lot of problems for playing March in that role? Feel free to criticise Burn but some ex-player saying its bad because its a new role for player X really doesnt mean shit.

It was a silly comment by GP.

He is the manager and the buck rests with him, but fans have opinions and whilst he may disagree, he should just smile knowing he has the final say.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He is a 6ft 7 geezer, who can barely get 6 inches off the ground at times,... he is consistently beaten in the air by shorter players. My first criteria for an effective defender in the British game is to be able to dynamically challenge and head the ball.

It seems that the experts on here are giving him high marks for his occasional forays up the park, and more occasionally putting in an effective pass or cross... I prefer a defender to defend if it's alright with you experts.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Rubbish. Dan had a good game tonight.

He did have a good game but I’m afraid he also made 2 defensive errors that ultimately led us to lose the game. The fact that it was in the last minute in our own back yard to our biggest rivals doesn’t help either.
White was also culpable but this thread is about BDB.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This reminds me of CMS days. Beyond criticism because he works very hard. Last night he was full back and his poor defending cost us 2 goals. He does try hard in a position he is not good at but my concern is the weakness is there for all to see and if plays in that position opposition will focus on him.
We just have to hope to get Webster and Lamptey fit. Not that we need Lamptey but it will enable Veltman to play on left.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This reminds me of CMS days. Beyond criticism because he works very hard. Last night he was full back and his poor defending cost us 2 goals. He does try hard in a position he is not good at but my concern is the weakness is there for all to see and if plays in that position opposition will focus on him.
We just have to hope to get Webster and Lamptey fit. Not that we need Lamptey but it will enable Veltman to play on left.

Beyond criticism? Funny how some of you say that about players who are getting bashed by hundreds if not thousands of fans on NSC/Twitter/Wherever-the-feck-people-lurk. Obviously getting lots of criticism, what you however cant accept is that some of us refuse to join in on your witch burning-gangbang.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I’m sorry but the Burn experiment has to end after last night. He has been culpable/partially culpable for at least five goals conceded this season, probably more. Off hand, the Wolves home game and the Leicester away games in league and cup, alongside last night. It’s a shame as he seems like a decent guy and works hard, and he’s actually quite decent in attacking areas, but his main remit is defence and he’s akin to a Premier League Colin Hawkins, he’s a completely liability. Time to blood the young Polish lad and give him some experience, I’m sure he’ll make some mistakes but he’ll improve for them, whereas Burn will be shipped out in the Summer or kept as a utility player at best.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was foolish of Potter to attack the fans a few weeks ago telling them that they didn't know what they were talking about if they said anything negative about Dan Burn. That was always gonna come back to haunt him.

Not the first time he's attacked us either.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
He was in their box when White gave the ball away. He sprinted 100 yards to cover in the 95th minute, and without seeing the stats I'd imagine he must have been in the top 3-4 players for distance travelled during the game. There were midfielders who could have tracked back faster and helped defend that.

It doesn't excuse a shocking bit of defending, but the biggest crime was giving away the ball and allowing the counter attack in that situation, when we were in all-out attack mode.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd move Burn on in the summer and refresh the defence.

Karbo and Solly can play left back and we can add Clarke or Østigård to the squad at centre back.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If defending his players in the media is the same as attacking you, expect more of it.

What about when he attacked us for expecting to compete in the league we find ourselves in, like we're only here through some admin cock-up?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He is a 6ft 7 geezer, who can barely get 6 inches off the ground at times,... he is consistently beaten in the air by shorter players.
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is a bit unfair. Do you ever see a giraffe "spring up and leap" like a deer? No, it's physics. He does win many headers (the stats show this) but unfortunately he isn't that skillful in the air at directing the ball. It's a bit simple to assume: tall bloke must win all headers and score lots of goals.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Once again terrible defending that cost another 2 goals. For umpteenth time cost us a goal in one against one for first goal and for winner didnt even mark. All you supporters will say how great he is going forward but is he really. Appreciate we were poor upfront but with Palace having 2 attacks we should have won 1-0

Burn will watch the play back and know his eye wasn't on the ball and he'll kick himself and will probably not repeat that mistake. Along with Veltman, Burn was again one of the best players. He gave so many good enough balls into the box for someone to put it in the net. He's not the fall guy for last night.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Bit unfair to blame Burn for the winner IMHO, Benteke still had an awful lot of work to do to score from that position

It was a hard lesson to learn...to look up and track the ball just a split second sooner after or during his turn and he'd have blocked it. Both Palace goals were taken so well. It's nonsense to have a blame Burn thread, as if we'd have been happy with it finishing 1-1. The composure up front was abysmal.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It was a hard lesson to learn...to look up and track the ball just a split second sooner after or during his turn and he'd have blocked it. Both Palace goals were taken so well. It's nonsense to have a blame Burn thread, as if we'd have been happy with it finishing 1-1. The composure up front was abysmal.
We would have been a lot happier!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You mean the "some fans expect us to win every game" comment?

I'm not happy with any manager attacking any of our fans. It's our club, not his. He's just a sitting tenant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here