Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burn

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many times did he let someone past him to cross tonight? Only once, from what I can remember. Its not optimal, but its usually not the end of the world either - most PL defenders allow it to happen mulitple times every game. Sure, in hindsight he could have taken a tactical foul. Or Alzate could have pressured the bloke who gave the winger the pass. Or Dunk/White could have done things in a different way. There's always things you can do better, but what people see is only Burn losing a duel against Ayew... but trust me, he is not the first or the last defender to let Ayew cross a ball.

Second goal, well he could have been closer to Benteke. Definitely. But if you blame Burn for the first goal, why not blame Veltman for the second? Its basically the same: winger has the ball, defender fails to stop him from crossing. He gets seconds and gets space to put in the perfect cross. But just like I wont blame Burn for the first goal I wont blame Veltman for the second. These are things that happen every game and today was the total punishment. A knackered Veltman dont put in the pressure he would have in the best possible world, Burn doesnt mark Benteke as close as he would have in the best possible world.

Its unfortunate. It hurts horribly. But the blame game is useless. With very few exceptions, there is four or five players who could have done something different when you concede, and at least four or five players involved in any goal you score.

I read the post before checking the authorship. It is sometimes useful to read the comments of an interested bystander (which is what you are in a Palarse Brighton face off). And your comments are appropriate.

I feel strangely m'eh tonight. There are more important things than a balls up against a team on the way down. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Once again terrible defending that cost another 2 goals. For umpteenth time cost us a goal in one against one for first goal and for winner didnt even mark. All you supporters will say how great he is going forward but is he really. Appreciate we were poor upfront but with Palace having 2 attacks we should have won 1-0

Chane the record. He did not single-handedly cost us a win tonight.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do think that Burn had a stinker in defence and ruining forward play.

But a genuine laugh out loud from me when I saw this thread, completing the NSC set on the night.

Next up ..... Robert Sanchez, is he actually all that?

His bollocks are too small. Had they been bigger he'd have nutted that backheel to safety. Sanchez OUT!!!

Buster Gonad IN!!!

gonad.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I read the post before checking the authorship. It is sometimes useful to read the comments of an interested bystander (which is what you are in a Palarse Brighton face off). And your comments are appropriate.

I feel strangely m'eh tonight. There are more important things than a balls up against a team on the way down. :shrug:

Butting in. I don’t feel too bad either, perhaps due to this strange football season .... no crowds, some clubs with huge injury lists losing a lot, results all over place, some cricket scores, West Ham heading for CL football. Or it will hit me like a train in the morning.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
It's easy to pick out 1 player to blame if you look for it.

1st goal. Maupay lets the defender play out way too easily, allowing the receiving player all the time in the world to pick out a great ball. Dan Burn is beaten only just by pace, Dunk is doing nothing and Metata finishes it beautifully.

2nd goal. White hoofs the ball aimlessly into the air, Veltman who was great, allows the Palace player all the time in the world to put a cross in, Burn loses flight of the ball and lazily sticks a leg out to block, Sanchez is way too slow to react to the cross and isn't even set for the volley(Imagine if that's Ryan).

I won't even bother going into the countless chances we threw away.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Butting in. I don’t feel too bad either, perhaps due to this strange football season .... no crowds, some clubs with huge injury lists losing a lot, results all over place, some cricket scores, West Ham heading for CL football. Or it will hit me like a train in the morning.

I was headlong into ending it all with aspirin, but after I'd taken two I felt a lot better.

Tomorrow morning will feel shit, but as Churchill said to Crystal Palace, after they told him he was pissed:

"Palace, you're football is ****ing ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober"

:thumbsup:

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Love the guy, he's proved more valuable than I ever thought he'd be, but problem with Burn is that even when he gives 100% his lack of pace is an obvious flaw. Opposition will know if they probe him enough, eventually they'll find a way through and create a goal scoring opportunity.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Being everywhere doesn't make up for 2 goals hey. Compare him to Veltman whi was also everywhere. Nice bloke with 100% commitment but a very weak link...

And the cross came from what direction for the second and who didn't stop it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought second half Burn's dynamic changed the game first half Alzate stopped the momentum every time and it doesn't work. Burn though created a lot moves not just by movement but many times he was able to move the ball on quickly with his head.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was headlong into ending it all with aspirin, but after I'd taken two I felt a lot better.

Tomorrow morning will feel shit, but as Churchill said to Crystal Palace, after they told him he was pissed:

"Palace, you're football is ****ing ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober"

:thumbsup:

After telling the right honourable Nancy Astor where to go, he ended up sponsoring a rugby team.

EBEE32F6-BC76-4B1D-924F-BA9D0CD4F705.png

What a life, a reporter in the Boer War, a century later teaming up with the Bores.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
A very strange anomaly is Dan Burn, he's the footballing version of 'The Room'. Crap but loveable.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Burn quite simply isn't good enough defensively. He may provide us with some impetus going forward but he is so defensively naïve it's painful, first goal Palace are in transition with a clear break on, you have to either foul their man or stop the cross in, it's completely unacceptable that the winger can roll a ball into the danger area along the floor.

The second goal was absolute baffling decision making from White in the build up, however we still have chance to cut out the danger... yet again like in the Leicester cup game Burn switches off completely and dangles a lazy leg at a cross & is miles away from the man in the middle allowing for an easy finish.

I'm preying Webster is back asap and Burn is on the bench at best for the rest of the season, we're in a relegation scrap and no mistake.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Burn quite simply isn't good enough defensively. He may provide us with some impetus going forward but he is so defensively naïve it's painful, first goal Palace are in transition with a clear break on, you have to either foul their man or stop the cross in, it's completely unacceptable that the winger can roll a ball into the danger area along the floor.

The second goal was absolute baffling decision making from White in the build up, however we still have chance to cut out the danger... yet again like in the Leicester cup game Burn switches off completely and dangles a lazy leg at a cross & is miles away from the man in the middle allowing for an easy finish.

I'm preying Webster is back asap and Burn is on the bench at best for the rest of the season, we're in a relegation scrap and no mistake.

... unacceptable, yet it happens in pretty much every football game ever played. How many low crosses were Veltman allowed to put in yesterday?

Even with Webster (but yeah I missed him too) on the pitch, opponents sometimes cross the ball.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
... unacceptable, yet it happens in pretty much every football game ever played. How many low crosses were Veltman allowed to put in yesterday?

Even with Webster (but yeah I missed him too) on the pitch, opponents sometimes cross the ball.

I'm talking about in that phase of the game, when Palace were on a rare counter attack and our defenders were running back towards goal you have to do something to stop such a simple cross, by fouling their player or better still making a tackle/block. When Palace were defending their CBs were always set as they weren't pressing the ball and staying in a compact shape, so our crosses were far less dangerous. As I say, it's simply naivety in my mind, even the likes of Man City make cynical fouls where needed as it's a crucial part of the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not the cross though, the lack of nous in not making a team foul, then coupled with switching off at the end.... very frustrating.

Did put two good crosses in, but isn’t good enough nothing has changed...... but then mustn’t criticise as if you do ‘you know nothing about football’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Shortly after the ' BDB at LB ' experiment was introduced, I was sitting at the Amex with an ex pro. He had been at one of BDB previous clubs. He was speechless. He said that he is and has only ever been a CB. His whole career up to BHA was played there. We didn't sign him as a LB. He said to me that the manager was giving himself a lot of problems playing him there. I said to him..." Don't worry, its only temporary "
But of course the ex pro doesn't understand football and doesn't know what he is talking about and I haven't got a scooby doo.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Put pace against Burn and he is second rate, we saw that against Wolves and now tonight.

He has done a great job filling in but he is not the answer long term.

Long term?
How long has the experiment been going on already? Its not a couple of games. It's been long enough for us all to form an opinion about the effectiveness of playing him there. But our manager knows best and shouldn't be questioned, so we all have to put up and shut up for a lot longer yet. When GP left him out the side recently, he said that BDB was really unlucky and I swear there were tears in Potter's eyes. Next game he was straight back in. He is going to continue to play him there as long as he is our manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Shortly after the ' BDB at LB ' experiment was introduced, I was sitting at the Amex with an ex pro. He had been at one of BDB previous clubs. He was speechless. He said that he is and has only ever been a CB. His whole career up to BHA was played there. We didn't sign him as a LB. He said to me that the manager was giving himself a lot of problems playing him there. I said to him..." Don't worry, its only temporary "
But of course the ex pro doesn't understand football and doesn't know what he is talking about and I haven't got a scooby doo.

You know Graham Potter is also an ex-pro footballer? And so was Sami Hyypiä and Leon Best and a 100 000 other people who are not automatically right just because they are ex-footballers. Solly March also had limited experience as LB, did GP give himself a lot of problems for playing March in that role? Feel free to criticise Burn but some ex-player saying its bad because its a new role for player X really doesnt mean shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here