Burke pull your finger out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The reality is that TB is a very serious and talented businessman. The fact that he is also a fan is important but shouldn't be overstated. The only way he is ever going to see a financial return on his huge investment is if we get to the PL. So do some people on here seriously think that the PL-ready tag is just a smokescreen to keep us fans quiet whilst he's more than happy signing average players to keep us mid-table Championship fodder? Of course not. Would he seriously employ and back David Burke if he was clueless at his job and not able to deliver players that have a chance of getting us in the mix come April? Again, of course he wouldn't. So the people who are suggesting as much must be either a bit dumb, have an agenda of some sort, or on a wind up.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Christ on a bike, this is getting painful.

Though probably not as painful as Bozza's forehead must be right now from banging it repeatedly against a brick wall.

If the gentlemen in question (Burke/Bloom) were crap negotiators, chaps, we'd have been sitting here with £4 million in the bank for Ulloa, or a sulky striker who doesn't want to be here. The fact that we may potentially, if he plays x number of games, Leicester stay up etc, be sitting on well over ten million in the end is more than good evidence of, firstly their skills and secondly, their desire to do what's in the best interests of the Albion.

It doesn't matter what we have NOW, it's all about putting ourselves in a position to be in contention next May. People panicking that we don't have the squad yet, despite what Bozza has said about potential deals in the offing- do you also think a defeat in the first game means a calamitous season too? Because that's pretty much what you seem to be implying: that an incomplete squad come 9th August equals certain failure.

Jeez.

You're forgetting the first law of the Albion at the moment. Burke (and Barber) can't take credit for anything. Everything good is down to Bloom. All problems/issues are down to Burke and Barber.

Please also ignore the fact that Bloom employs them both and is presumably happy with how they're doing. It's apparently irrelevant.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Bozza has put to bed the majority of your arguments yet still you persist. Or do you think he is just making it all up? Our recruitment system landed Ulloa and the people running the club then played a blinder in selling him for an inflated figure, yet our recruitment policy "is and has been" seriously flawed. Our 80% fickle fan base didn't abandon us when it looked like we were going nowhere last season until right at the end, yet they will this season and inflict more damage in doing so than signing players at above the market fees and contracts that has been the death knell of so many less prudently run clubs. I'm sorry if you think I'm being harsh, but none of your arguments stand up to scrutiny.

In your opinion, they don't.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Stadium and training facilities are investments operational costs protect the investments. Going large just to sign a player that may or may not work out is another thing, for example CMS so far hasn't been that good value, Ulloa on the other hand has covered that loss. So on the player front it is pretty much at a break even situation financially.

You're talking out of your arse. The wage bill is 95% of turnover, we lost £14.7 million last year, following on losses of £7m and £3m the two previous years.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The worrying thing is it took 18-months due to work permits but the team on paper was a lot stronger then

The work permit issue is completely out of the clubs hands though. I'd expect if they foresee those kinds of complications then they'd look at a longer term strategy - still go after the player but get a loan in to cover for that person until such time as their permit issue is resolved.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not necessarily, but I would qualify that to some degree by saying that the 1980s marked a low point in football crowds generally (and this is when our fortunes, on and off the field, really started to decline). Clubs like Newcastle, who can pull in 50,000 now, were playing in front of gates of 12,000. In 1983, Chelsea's average gate was 12k, in 1989, 15k. Man United 36k. And, despite having the best, loudest, most loyal, non-plastic, authentic, fanatical followers on earth, our friends from Selhurst Park pulled in an average of just 6,700 supporters per game in 1986.

You don't mention it, and I haven't bothered to check it because frankly there's no need, but of course it must be noted that around 70,000 of the Best Fans In The World still packed into Fr*tt*n P*rk every week.

#tw*ts

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You don't mention it, and I haven't bothered to check it because frankly there's no need, but of course it must be noted that around 70,000 of the Best Fans In The World still packed into Fr*tt*n P*rk every week.

#tw*ts

Of course :thumbsup:

Goes without saying that they are the Greatest Fans In The World.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
We won't know whether David Burke is doing a good job until we sign (or don't) the players to take us into the top six again. Until then we can only reserve judgement. If DB is negotiating lower wages or transfer fees so that we have more dosh to spend on a player who becomes available later on, then that's fine with me.

We're well beyond the optimum date for bringing players in, but if Sami gets most of the players he wants by the week leading up to the Wednesday match, that's probably a good result. Taking it to the final hours of the transfer window, having dropped points in the meantime, on the other hand ...

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I am more than impressed with the Middlesboro Director of Football.
Vossen on his way with deals for Bamford (loan), Ken Omerou (loan) and James Husband (£500k) due this week.
All of this by investing income from sales.
Funny they can get deals over the line.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Vossen on his way with deals for Bamford (loan), Ken Omerou (loan) and James Husband (£500k) due this week.

If the signings are due, then they're not over the line yet. How do we know who is due for us this week? Maybe make the same comment on Saturday when deals are over the line.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

According to skys transfer centre they have only signed 3 players so far. Not sure how reliable it is though as it says we have signed Jesse Linguard.

The worst people on this thread are those who talk absolute rubbish, are then shown to be talking absolute rubbish , then add even more rubbish and then maintain they have a credible argument. Once they are shown to be talking drivel they then resort to the standard response of "this is a message board and it is all about opinions". Yes - it is, but arguing for the sake of it when you have been shown to be a numpty is more a reflection of your arrogance alongside your stupidity than anything else.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Have they signed and presented those players, or are they just linked with them in a variety of sources, basically the same position as us albeit linked with a few more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports