Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke on his way out? Update: Gone

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Or, indeed, any not-decent manager. Don't forget Hyypia had Sammy Lee signed to replace Jones, only to see him walk out on his contract...

True. But if we want a decent manager, then I suspect Burke had to go, and likely Nathan too... do we really want continuity of the status quo? I think not, so bye bye Nathan...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
'Slightly mis-used' or just plain wrong? You need to re-read Tony's comments about Burke's departure, especially noting the word re-structure. The budget was there, Burke spent it unwisely. He got sacked.

I read the comments, I understand them, and I wrote "replaced" instead of "sacked", which can sometimes mean the same thing.

A simple layman such as myself would look at money spent in previous years, our inability to get certain "done deals" done and the reliance on loan and free transfers from abroad to suggest that the budget isn't there - but then as you have made clear, you are clearly in the know.

(By the way, this is not me saying that Bloom should be putting in more money, it just seems to me that we've clearly been operating on a scaled-down budget this year).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You should have. He needs to be sacrificed to make way for the decent experienced manager we need. You know, the manager who will want to bring in his own team.
Tony Bloom has said "we need to re-evaluate how the club is set up" which is the nearest we'll get to him saying he has dropped a clanger. Out with inexperienced foreign managers/coaches and their ethos of tippy tappy 4-5-1 but no contingency options and in with an experienced manager alongside his own backroom staff who can get a team to successfully play any combination of 4-4-2 , 4-5-1 , 4-3-3 etc on the pitch once the instruction is given from the dugout.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Bloody hell - one slightly mis-used word and you're talking to me like a child, haven't you got anything better to do on Xmas eve?

My KEY point is that I don't think bad decision making by Burke is the ONLY reason we have a poor squad, and unless the right manager is given more money to spend than we have done, there is no certainty that the SQUAD will be any BETTER.

Happy Xmas :)

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I read the comments, I understand them, and I wrote "replaced" instead of "sacked", which can sometimes mean the same thing.

A simple layman such as myself would look at money spent in previous years, our inability to get certain "done deals" done and the reliance on loan and free transfers from abroad to suggest that the budget isn't there - but then as you have made clear, you are clearly in the know.

(By the way, this is not me saying that Bloom should be putting in more money, it just seems to me that we've clearly been operating on a scaled-down budget this year).

Can i suggest you listen to what Burke says in this video where he mentions that the budget was the same as last year and individual players wages were dropping by 25% or more of current salaries being paid. So in his own words he had more money to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lOGdYzv0U

Do you honestly believe that David Burke has been sacked because of a witch hunt of some posters on NSC?
How ridiculous, I believe that TB had a greater respect for Hyypia than many on here and refused their calls for his head. It is more likely that the combined moans from Poyet, Garcia and Hyypia finally brought it home to TB where the fault was and he dealt with it in my view.

No I didnt say that, nor did I mean that.

My point is that there was witch hunt against the guy from people who have no idea if it was his fault or not. I accept that the end product was poor, as I said, but to assume that was all down to DB is unfair from people who dont know the full story. Like you and me.

I also accept it was Burke's responsibility so he probably needed to go but for all we know he was working under impossible conditions.

But NSC was never an organisation that needs to know the facts before making up its mind.

I'm afraid it's symptomatic of society's apparent need these days to find a scapegoat for everything that isn't working properly.

But I also don't believe that it was the build up of alleged complaints by previous managers that caused TB to act; if it was he would have done the deed before leaving for OZ. I'm inclined to agree with the poster who said it sounds like there is a manager in the frame who wants a different system. As long as it's not Harry give-me-a-blank-checkbook-Redknap or one of his money spunking friends. But at the end of the day it's TB's money, not mine or yours, and he can spend it however he likes

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Have we? So you are calling Tony a liar then? Tony has said this is our most expensive (presumably in terms of wages) squad ever.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
These two interviews were enough for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16985004

Talks a good game though and I can understand how Bloom was taken with him. If only half of how says he operates were implemented, leaves me wondering how the likes of Agustein, Obika, Lita and COG ever got a foot inside the Amex.

He was on the Albion Roar. Came over ok - but definitely not the bloke you'd go for a pint with.

I have and the next day after the meeting my mate rang me saying what a smug arrogant **** he was. I was undecided at the time but I did see his point...!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tony Bloom has said "we need to re-evaluate how the club is set up" which is the nearest we'll get to him saying he has dropped a clanger. Out with inexperienced foreign managers/coaches and their ethos of tippy tappy 4-5-1 but no contingency options and in with an experienced manager alongside his own backroom staff who can get a team to successfully play any combination of 4-4-2 , 4-5-1 , 4-3-3 etc on the pitch once the instruction is given from the dugout.

Could not agree more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Sherwood and Ramsey would be my guess, we can keep Jones in that structure. Sounds ideal

Not to me. Pulis sounds ideal.

Another inexperienced manager!? No, not this time.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Can i suggest you listen to what Burke says in this video where he mentions that the budget was the same as last year and individual players wages were dropping by 25% or more of current salaries being paid. So in his own words he had more money to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lOGdYzv0U

Fair enough, can't argue with that.

Which begs the question, where is this money then? We've not really shelled it out on transfer fees (especially in light of what has come in), and one would imagine (or hope) the players we have signed aren't on particularly high wages (obviously we're paying a good whack of Bent's, so aside from that). Why couldn't we do that little extra to get the Ward deal over the line? Have we still got a massive wage surplus we could use?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Have we? So you are calling Tony a liar then? Tony has said this is our most expensive (presumably in terms of wages) squad ever.

Would that not include wages being paid for players signed/contracts extended years ago though? Again I have no idea about the numbers but it does seem that we've struggled to match wages demanded/offered elsewhere (Ward, Grabban), whereas previously this didn't seem to happen.

Edit - point I am getting at is having the highest-paid squad of all time does not equal having the highest active recruitment budget.

Are you on first name terms with Bloom btw?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sami was a good guy, who knew not what he was getting into. Burke has delivered on a number of targets, but failed in the recruitment department. Neither of these chaps deserve hell and damnation, I hope they both get some kind of package to ease their lives over the coming months before they get themselves going again. I particularly hope they DB can put this aside as far as possible and relax with his family without letting this ruin all their Xmas', and then reassess in 2015.

NJ is proving to be a real club 'servant', and it would be nice if a role could be found within the new structure for him, although I do not want him as manager for the time being. I also hope PB is allowed to continue to run the non footballing side of the club for a long time, he is a professional and knows his job. Hopefully our new manager will be given free reign with team matters and PB need not get involved there.

To all those calling for more heads to go, please just stop and think a little, no one wants to fail, we all aim to suceed, and right now is a good time to wish 'Goodwill to all men,(maybe even women too!)', Bad joke!

Merry Xmas everyone.

Having just watched the original Scrooge with Alistair Sims and then reading this post..........i'm welling up :cry:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Which begs the question, where is this money then? We've not really shelled it out on transfer fees (especially in light of what has come in), and one would imagine (or hope) the players we have signed aren't on particularly high wages (obviously we're paying a good whack of Bent's, so aside from that). Why couldn't we do that little extra to get the Ward deal over the line? Have we still got a massive wage surplus we could use?

There was a post that said we were paying COG 13K a week which some said was stupid, but then a Charlton fan came on and posted that they offered him slightly less than that figure but he accepted ours. So if all this is true it appears we were really wasting our budget on below par players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

It has to be wages, 'cause it surely is NOT transfer fees paid. That plus maybe unspent budget (which will be handy for January / the new manager, if it exists at all).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No we don't. It doesn't take a detective to work out why he left: was offered a job in the Premier League on, you have to assume, a far bigger wedge than the contract he'd just signed with us.

But something is niggling me , SL had signed a legally binding contract to be our assistant manager then upped sticks a couple of days later , so why didn't the club ask for financial recompense from either himself or Southampton ? Did Sammy Lee only see the glint of money or was there more to it after having heard the Premier League Ready spiel and thinking eh ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here