Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke and barber

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
That doesn't mean Oscar knows much about him or picked him out as a target though.

I wonder how much he really knows about the players over here? Worried the poor guy has jumped massively in at the deep end.
I wonder how much he knew about the Israeli league before last season.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just out of interest, how much time does Oscar have to be able to do all that would be involved in scouting new players? don't you think his time would be better served, i don't know, taking training and alike? & Do you think that most professional clubs player recruitment is carried out by the teams manager and not via a scouting network like we have here?

Do you think that someone should just be signed straight away and not properly watched / assessed first which takes time?

would have thought that one of the prime reasons for employing a chap like oscar would be his outstanding book of contacts and knowledge of outstanding young continental players.......

if you are going to let someone else dictate in-coming players then it is a bit like employing lewis hamilton to drive a go-kart ,

i'm not panicking yet but if we don't start to see some more interesting signings within the next 5-6 weeks i'll probably write us off as play off candidates.........

i can see us coming good towards the back end of the season but it all depends how much ground we loose to the major suspects...we all know who they are.

there are too many serious sides in this league and it all comes down to us either taking players no-one else wants or finding players before the others do......would have thought OG was a major factor in this.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Mmm, I made a point on another thread a couple of days ago that it feels like the club is taking the current level of support for granted. In some cases, the pre and post match is as important as what goes on on the pitch.

Barber will be judged on his ability to bring down the losses and get us trading in the black. There is no easy way to get everybody to understand that costs have to be managed, and savings have to be made here, there and everywhere. However, feeling like we are being lectured, spoken to like children and the rather take-or-leave-it air of his communication style wins him no friends.

He will be gone sooner rather than later, his CV tells us that, it's whether any lasting damage is done in the meantime.

It's what they deserve if certain fans seemingly throw their toys out of their pram every time there is a communication from the club just because it has come from Barber (behave like children, get treated like children) The thing that is most likely to cause damage to this club is those who constantly moan and complain and question every little thing that the club does. Do you think that the more casual supporter attending games really wants to sit and listen to a few 'fans' spending 90 minutes complaining about Barber or whoever is their next figure of hate etc. (usually the moaning isn't justified either)

The club is a business, it can't keep losing money every year and survive. Given our recent history and coupled with so many recent examples of clubs spending beyond their means and ending up in serious financial difficulties, often with the clubs very survival at risk, don't you think it's wise to do what we can to try to live within our means.

Our fans have often questioned why fans of other clubs that run into difficulty didn't do something to stop the board from spending money that the club just couldn't afford (such as Pompey) yet often the same people are on here complaining when cuts have to be made at our club to try to avoid that very same situation here, they want us to gamble on promotion, a tactic that has backfired so many times before at other clubs.

Seems some what to have their cake and eat it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's what they deserve if certain fans seemingly throw their toys out of their pram every time there is a communication from the club just because it has come from Barber (behave like children, get treated like children) The thing that is most likely to cause damage to this club is those who constantly moan and complain and question every little thing that the club does. Do you think that the more casual supporter attending games really wants to sit and listen to a few 'fans' spending 90 minutes complaining about Barber or whoever is their next figure of hate etc. (usually the moaning isn't justified either)

The club is a business, it can't keep losing money every year and survive. Given our recent history and coupled with so many recent examples of clubs spending beyond their means and ending up in serious financial difficulties, often with the clubs very survival at risk, don't you think it's wise to do what we can to try to live within our means.

Our fans have often questioned why fans of other clubs that run into difficulty didn't do something to stop the board from spending money that the club just couldn't afford (such as Pompey) yet often the same people are on here complaining when cuts have to be made at our club to try to avoid that very same situation here, they want us to gamble on promotion, a tactic that has backfired so many times before at other clubs.

Nail on head.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I feel a bit sorry for Oscar Garcia really. I'm sure he's a good coach etc, however it was clear that it was never going to work for him with no experience of English football.

And who the **** is David Burke anyway? I'd never heard of him before GP got sacked.

EddieReader

Aug 15, 2010
What is ignorant about a thread stating that David Burke shouldn't be signing players? It should be up to the manager who he wants and the chairman who is signed. What does Oscar know about Agustien or Andrews?

Totally agree........and was not impressed with the substitutions. Ince was doing an Excellant job.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Why don't you try reading the line the one before you highlighted. I said, there is no easy way to tell everybody that cuts have to be made and that things are going to cost more. In other words, there's no problem from me about what he is doing, it's the way he is going about doing it. And yes, his dictatorial, autocratic approach pisses me off.

And it's not a case of behaving like children, you highlighted our recent history of problems etc, its precicisely why there are more suspicious fans out there who give a shit about the way our club is run and are bound to question.

Regardless of how TB has put in, we are still paying customers, it's called bitter experience, and I think we should question decisions that are made.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's what they deserve if certain fans seemingly throw their toys out of their pram every time there is a communication from the club just because it has come from Barber (behave like children, get treated like children) The thing that is most likely to cause damage to this club is those who constantly moan and complain and question every little thing that the club does. Do you think that the more casual supporter attending games really wants to sit and listen to a few 'fans' spending 90 minutes complaining about Barber or whoever is their next figure of hate etc. (usually the moaning isn't justified either).

This. A thousand times over

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why don't you try reading the line the one before you highlighted. I said, there is no easy way to tell everybody that cuts have to be made and that things are going to cost more. In other words, there's no problem from me about what he is doing, it's the way he is going about doing it. And yes, his dictatorial, autocratic approach pisses me off.

And it's not a case of behaving like children, you highlighted our recent history of problems etc, its precicisely why there are more suspicious fans out there who give a shit about the way our club is run and are bound to question.

Regardless of how TB has put in, we are still paying customers, it's called bitter experience, and I think we should question decisions that are made.

So its a complete lack of trust in anyone else to be able to run our club properly without having fans watch and question their every move and motive. I suggest the problem lies with these doubters rather than Barber who appears to be acting in our best interest. (i helped save the club so i should have a say in how it proceeds from here and if i can't then i don't like it and throw my toys out of the pram)

Here we have someone who is trying to get the club on a secure and stable financial standing yet those who feel the need to examine and question everything the club does are the very ones questioning his every attempt to do exactly what is needed and in the best interest of the club and they should be the ones examining their own motives as it doesn't appear to be for the benefit of the club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I feel a bit sorry for Oscar Garcia really. I'm sure he's a good coach etc, however it was clear that it was never going to work for him with no experience of English football.

And who the **** is David Burke anyway? I'd never heard of him before GP got sacked.

So has he gone then?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
thanks for that Titanic, i am aware of the rules, and the clubs need to project to achieve them. I was not talking about Blooms exempt spending on infrastructure, but our playing squad and wages, having spent so much already on infrastructure.

Still appears you don't understand FFP

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Still appears you don't understand FFP

We do but how many chairmen will ignore it and say the fine is a lot less than the gain of getting promotion I could think of about 3 r 4 off the top of my head. It is fine to say that this is what the chairmen wanted and agreed but I am sure there are many who will say it is ok for you but not me thanks.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We do but how many chairmen will ignore it and say the fine is a lot less than the gain of getting promotion I could think of about 3 r 4 off the top of my head. It is fine to say that this is what the chairmen wanted and agreed but I am sure there are many who will say it is ok for you but not me thanks.

So you want our chairman to play fast and loose with our future?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
IMO Gus went because he stood up to these two idiots they need to be stopped. Is it not better for managers to sign players
or is Burke (Who is he?) got more knowledge than OG. Smoke signals coming over the hills say they are not liked at all.
I reckon another quid on the pies when Gus wins his case and exposes these morons. Just my opinion and if you don't like it
HGAF........................Time will tell. Oh! liking the new pie and soft drink deal instead of the pie and pint....WTF??

:tosser:

Pie and pint is still £7, pie and soft drink is £6.

I'm assuming you have proof of this?

And how do you know his ? Yet another poster assuming things.....

Burke compiles a shortlist, and Garcia chooses any he likes the looks of. Pretty sure I heard it in an interview on Seagulls Player.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know DB through a close friend and used to play for the same football club. Some of you have got his role so wrong it's frightening how suddenly it turns into fact on here. Recruitment is a collaborative process in the club, no way does DB trump the manger as is being insinuated on here.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Burke compiles a shortlist, and Garcia chooses any he likes the looks of. Pretty sure I heard it in an interview on Seagulls Player.

Yep or vice versa Oscar tells him what he needs and he goes to look for targets. A collaboration pure and simple.

Apr 12, 2011
At the end of the day, I'm of the opinion that anyone in a position of power should expect to be questioned and challenged and people are within their right to do so. Without such people and their desire for transparency, what incentive is there for anyone in power to ensure they act correctly?

For the record, whilst I understand peoples' frustrations I find myself siding with the club for obvious reasons. I think Bloom and Barber are doing a difficult but necessary job at a difficult time. The only niggle I still have is an instinct that financially things are actually tougher than they are willing to let on. But that's just my gut feeling, nothing more.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Another crazy thread. Most people don't even know what these people do or whether they are good at it. But let's just sack them anyway. Jeez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here