Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke and barber

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What is ignorant about a thread stating that David Burke shouldn't be signing players? It should be up to the manager who he wants and the chairman who is signed. What does Oscar know about Agustien or Andrews?

FYI, Andrews spoke to the press after today's game and said that he had spoken to Oscar, Jones and Bloom before signing. Oscar spoke to him at length about the roles he wanted him to play.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Too many cooks spill the broth, the manager scouts the players to strengthen the team/squad and gets Barber to arrange the transfers. All this other bollocks means that it is impossible to act quickly in getting people in. Then again what Oscar knows about Championship football you can write on a back of a stamp. What a total mess

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
FYI, Andrews spoke to the press after today's game and said that he had spoken to Oscar, Jones and Bloom before signing. Oscar spoke to him at length about the roles he wanted him to play.

Oh do stop this sensible sort of factual talk... it spoils the bedwetters fun.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Was it only a few days ago that Tony Bloom explained how player recruitment works at the Fans Forum? Or did I dream it?

Clearly there are people on here who know how the club works in much more detail than TB. Can't we have a forum with them next year instead........?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's a shame Oscar didn't tell the other players where they should be playing today. None of them knew what position they were in.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Too many cooks spill the broth, the manager scouts the players to strengthen the team/squad and gets Barber to arrange the transfers. All this other bollocks means that it is impossible to act quickly in getting people in. Then again what Oscar knows about Championship football you can write on a back of a stamp. What a total mess

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. How can having someone dedicated to player recruitment mean that it is impossible to act quickly? By asking someone that already has a busy job to do take responsibility for it as well? And where does the man who writes the cheques fit into this?

Idiot.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did I hear the north or north west fans chanting "David burke's blue and white army"? It certainly didn't sound like "Oscar garcia's"

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is ignorant about a thread stating that David Burke shouldn't be signing players? It should be up to the manager who he wants and the chairman who is signed. What does Oscar know about Agustien or Andrews?

It's ignorant because it implies the manager has no say in recruitment which, from what others have stated, is not the case. It is an ignorant backlash to a disappointing result.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
At a business lunch in June, Paul barber said his number one challenge this season was ensuring that season ticketholders actually turn up to matches this season.

I heard that from someone else too - So commitment up front to pay for a seat all season isn't enough anymore?

Presumably the cost of a season ticket is enough so why the onus on attendance? Does the "matchday experience " have to include food,drink programme, replica shirt and clappers?

I'm happy to pay for my attendance to watch the game even if we don't win every week but refuse to eat the sponsors burger and sponsors drink as if they are part of my life. The sponsors should be paying for the privilege to tempt me to buy their wares not paying to be able to force me to buy their crap food and drink.

Its an important point that the club should be aiming to attract more fans not more sponsors - if they just want customers then give up football and go into the food industry and stop ruining the football

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
:facepalm: it was Tony Bloom's

Ah. It really was hard to make out and with the announcement of Keith Andrews signing this morning more a few people were remarking that it didn't seem like an Oscar Garcia signing, so I wondered if they were trying to make a point there (not that I necessarily agree).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Well, print off your CV and send it in to the club as you seem to be more than qualified in doing their jobs for them.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I heard that from someone else too - So commitment up front to pay for a seat all season isn't enough anymore?

Presumably the cost of a season ticket is enough so why the onus on attendance? Does the "matchday experience " have to include food,drink programme, replica shirt and clappers?

I'm happy to pay for my attendance to watch the game even if we don't win every week but refuse to eat the sponsors burger and sponsors drink as if they are part of my life. The sponsors should be paying for the privilege to tempt me to buy their wares not paying to be able to force me to buy their crap food and drink.

Its an important point that the club should be aiming to attract more fans not more sponsors - if they just want customers then give up football and go into the food industry and stop ruining the football

Mmm, I made a point on another thread a couple of days ago that it feels like the club is taking the current level of support for granted. In some cases, the pre and post match is as important as what goes on on the pitch.

Barber will be judged on his ability to bring down the losses and get us trading in the black. There is no easy way to get everybody to understand that costs have to be managed, and savings have to be made here, there and everywhere. However, feeling like we are being lectured, spoken to like children and the rather take-or-leave-it air of his communication style wins him no friends.

He will be gone sooner rather than later, his CV tells us that, it's whether any lasting damage is done in the meantime.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
At a business lunch in June, Paul barber said his number one challenge this season was ensuring that season ticketholders actually turn up to matches this season.

That seems right to me. If people don't come regularly, they will question the sense in renewing next season. A good priority for the club in my book.

How they do it is the question. And will rely on good performances and entertainment on the pitch, and a decent experience off it.

They certainly have their work cut out.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In all fairness to the OP there is something not right at the club at the moment.

Oscar isn't being allowed to sign the players he wants - only the ones Burke is "recommending" to him.

I think youre right there.

Every Albion fan loves Tony Bloom but nobody knows his true financial worth, he has ploughed squillions into our club, but with the players we have signed so far and the buying set up as it seems to be, i cant help thinking that either FFP is biting hard or Tony is reigning in spending. I just hope we havn't over extended.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think youre right there.

Every Albion fan loves Tony Bloom but nobody knows his true financial worth, he has ploughed squillions into our club, but with the players we have signed so far and the buying set up as it seems to be, i cant help thinking that either FFP is biting hard or Tony is reigning in spending. I just hope we havn't over extended.

You don't seem to understand FFP, do you?

I suggest reading this...

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/resources/wsc0001.pdf

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
thanks for that Titanic, i am aware of the rules, and the clubs need to project to achieve them. I was not talking about Blooms exempt spending on infrastructure, but our playing squad and wages, having spent so much already on infrastructure.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

That doesn't mean Oscar knows much about him or picked him out as a target though.

I wonder how much he really knows about the players over here? Worried the poor guy has jumped massively in at the deep end.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Just out of interest, how much time does Oscar have to be able to do all that would be involved in scouting new players? don't you think his time would be better served, i don't know, taking training and alike? & Do you think that most professional clubs player recruitment is carried out by the teams manager and not via a scouting network like we have here?

Do you think that someone should just be signed straight away and not properly watched / assessed first which takes time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here