Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Hopes

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I don't give a shit where he's gone, frankly. I'm just glad he's gone & that some other mugs are picking up his over-inflated wages for the rest of the season.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
He isn't on loan really though is he ?

We've sold him to Palace and the phrasing loan is because he can't sign for a 3rd club this season.

Wasnt going to play for us and was earning a fair whack for playing dev squad football. Good move by Gus if its meant we can bring in Upson.

So much this, I cannot believe how many people do not see that this is what has happened.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Surely the title of this thread should be "Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Prospects"? Then you get a nice double alliteration in there.

This.

It's an annoying thread title for that very reason.

Can a mod change it please?

Aug 23, 2011
What about this scenario. Dobbie does really well for them, scoring goals and becoming a key member of the team and they secure a play-off berth. We also get a playoff berth and then they can't use that player in a game or games against us therefore weakening their side giving us an edge. You just need to look at the long game.....

Or else he does little for them and "prevents" them getting the playoffs

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You do have to wonder why we have loaned them the one player who could turn their current slump around.....
Would Alex Ferguson lend city a player who might help them progress .... of course not!!
Do we in 7th and chasing those above lend Palace in the Playoff spots a player who Holloway rates as a game changer.... of course we do!!
What Planet are Poyet, Barber and Bloom on FFS................

The ONE player who could turn their slump around?! :lolol: I can think of two dozen players who would have more of an impact in that team. Perspective?

I don't give a shit where he's gone, frankly. I'm just glad he's gone & that some other mugs are picking up his over-inflated wages for the rest of the season.

Financial Fair Play. If we wanted a centre back, we needed to move on a high earning squad player. We don't need Dobbie, so getting him off the wage bill and replacing him with a player we needed is fantastic business.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Financial Fair Play. If we wanted a centre back, we needed to move on a high earning squad player. We don't need Dobbie, so getting him off the wage bill and replacing him with a player we needed is fantastic business.

Indeed, although it's always completely prudent to get a player off the wage bill who's disinterested & wants out, FFP or otherwise.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Indeed, although it's always completely prudent to get a player off the wage bill who's disinterested & wants out, FFP or otherwise.

Frankly, I agree. It does cause me a problem nobody else on here has though. I can no longer wear my green and black away shirt. :angry:

I felt like a King when he scored that goal against Peterborough and I was wearing that shirt. But now it just makes me feel dirty and as though I bring shame on my football club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think its a win win situation for the club , we free up the wages and receive a fee for him in July. Dobbie leaves for pastures new while we capture a player on loan to add to the flairistas. Palace have sold their best player for mega bucks and their spending spree by Wurzel adds up to Kevin Philips and Steven Dobbie which to any neutral hardly strikes as ambitious.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Ulloa
CMS
Barnes
Hoskins

THEN Dobbie.

Good choice to get rid of the deadwood.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think its a win win situation for the club , we free up the wages and receive a fee for him in July. Dobbie leaves for pastures new while we capture a player on loan to add to the flairistas. Palace have sold their best player for mega bucks and their spending spree by Wurzel adds up to Kevin Philips and Steven Dobbie which to any neutral hardly strikes as ambitious.

phillips has been and will continue to be a more than capable goalscorer in this div.......if he strikes up an understanding with dobber then it could be fireworks all round........IMHO.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Would those saying its a stupid move prefer us to have kept him, in the reserves and on a big wage, and not brought in a defender? I understand the sentiment of the OP but it's fuelled by rivalry rather than clarity. If he does well for palace it's irrelevant, what matters is how WE do. If our signings of ulloa and upson were to pay off and get us promoted, would it matter whether dobbie fired palace up too, or was a complete flop? Let's worry about our own squad and let palace worry about theirs.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not really, it's a matter of where you want to take on risk. I personally would not be loaning him out to a rival, we could have sent Dobbie or an.other to another club not fighting for the same place in the league as us. Don't tell me that wouldn't have been possible. Maybe we wouldn't have saved the same amount of money, but we would have mitigated the risk of the worst happening.

Anyways, the dice has been loaded and can now be rolled. It's more probable that this will work out for us, but if it doesn't and Palace take the last play off place from us because Dobbie was a success. Well. I'm sure everyone who sees no problem with this decision won't be changing their mind.

I think you are wrong. It is by no means certain that another club would have wanted to take on Dobbie and the liabilities that came with that. He clearly flattered to deceive and Gus has called time early. Palace are a club in the position to take advantage of this as they suddenly have cash flow. From what I have seen of Dobbie, I'm unconvinced that he will fare much better at Palace. Perhaps people are more sensitive to this move because it is Palace. Let's say he had gone to Charlton or Derby, would we be that bothered? Probably not.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
phillips has been and will continue to be a more than capable goalscorer in this div.......if he strikes up an understanding with dobber then it could be fireworks all round........IMHO.

KP is now considered an impact player but only for the last 10 minutes of a game. Winnie and Bolassie will have to pass the ball to each other for 30 seconds while waiting for Philips to get in the box.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i assume it was the quickest way to get him out on loan and free up the wages, to a club where their manager is a keen admirer of him? the only thing that is a negative is he could improve their league position, but he wont be able to come and bite us in the arse a la Murray as he cant play against us

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
KP is now considered an impact player but only for the last 10 minutes of a game. Winnie and Bolassie will have to pass the ball to each other for 30 seconds while waiting for Philips to get in the box.

fair enough there mate ..just seen he's 39...........:wrong: on a more interesting note that Habibou chap we were looking at has landed on loan at Dirty Filthy Leeds.???

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Happy he has left, he was a massive waste of wages. Annoying he has gone to Palace too and it can go 1 of 2 ways for us.....

1) He plays like utter horse-shit (like for us really) and does nothing to their play-off chances so they continue to be in freefall, allowing us to nick a spot.
2) He plays brilliantly for them scoring a hat full or goals which seal Palace a play-off spot, possibly instead of us (and our best chance of grabbing one IMO is them continuing to not win).

Ill go the first option - but whatever the situation, he will be a Judas for me and im rather happy we wont have him back, even if he does well at Palace.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Murray suddenly not getting a game for them now? ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Happy he has left, he was a massive waste of wages. Annoying he has gone to Palace too and it can go 1 of 2 ways for us.....

1) He plays like utter horse-shit (like for us really) and does nothing to their play-off chances so they continue to be in freefall, allowing us to nick a spot.
2) He plays brilliantly for them scoring a hat full or goals which seal Palace a play-off spot, possibly instead of us (and our best chance of grabbing one IMO is them continuing to not win).

Ill go the first option - but whatever the situation, he will be a Judas for me and im rather happy we wont have him back, even if he does well at Palace.

He's gone on out loan, our choice, but he is still our player! How does that make him a Judas!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here