Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Hopes

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I cant see a problem, wouldnt make our match day squad, and he cant play against us, frees up wages......hope he can score goals there so they will buy him outright....my biggest fear is that he wont perform, and we will have to take him back

So the worst possible outcome is that he's a flop? I would have thought the worst thing that could happen is that Palace get into the play offs at our expense and precisely because Dobbie is a success. But you know, each to their own.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
the facts are that dobbie was earning a fair bit in wagesand yet nowhere near thr first team. It makes sense to off load. I know its not great off loading to a rival, but clubs with kind of cash to pay his wage demands will be our rivals. Not great that its palace, but probably only deal on offer

this

it's only fair to tony that we stick to a budget.

It must have been a good deal to agree this, and do we really want to keep paying our 5th choice striker just to refuse him playing for palace?

A good deal for all involved.

and this

I would imagine this will save the club about half a million quid. Surely anyone who was concerned about our £8m loss cannot now be annoyed about shipping Dobbie out, even though it's to literally the worst possible club. (unless of course he flops and turns the current slide into a POWERSLIDE :rave: )

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
This. Some people so fail to see the necessities.

Not really, it's a matter of where you want to take on risk. I personally would not be loaning him out to a rival, we could have sent Dobbie or an.other to another club not fighting for the same place in the league as us. Don't tell me that wouldn't have been possible. Maybe we wouldn't have saved the same amount of money, but we would have mitigated the risk of the worst happening.

Anyways, the dice has been loaded and can now be rolled. It's more probable that this will work out for us, but if it doesn't and Palace take the last play off place from us because Dobbie was a success. Well. I'm sure everyone who sees no problem with this decision won't be changing their mind.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We've shipped our 5th choice striker (and top earner at the club) out to the only team that offered to pay his wages, and have made sure he cant play against us in the promotion run in. What's the problem?

Yes we'd rather it wasn't to Palace, but you can only sell something to someone who is interested in buying it. Would people really rather the top earner at the club was sitting on the bench not playing games, than being off the wage bill?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
The straw that broke the camel's back was probably Dobbie's penalty kick in Monday night's Development Squad game.

How an experienced striker can put a penalty kick a clear six feet over the bar from the penalty spot beggars belief.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Dobbie is a useless, lazy Scottish cock (must be the only Scottish footballer in recent times not given at least one international cap). His record, accept 7 games at Blackpool is shite, he was on too much money and his attitude looked very poor. Let Palarse have him, can't see him turning around their ailing promotion hopes. Just a waste of a squad number for us!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Couldn't give a shit really, he's a waste of space. Just one more player for me to abuse when they come to the Amex in March :thumbsup:

Well you could, but under the loan terms he won't be playing against us at all this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You do have to wonder why we have loaned them the one player who could turn their current slump around.....
Do you follow football? Their main striker is the Championship's leading goal scorer. Dobbie is not the one player that could turn things around for them. And if he did do well for them, wouldn't it be great if we met them in the play-offs - they wouldn't be able to play him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think we have to accept that geographically, especially for shorter loan spells, that you don't always want to uproot players and their families, and so really we only have a choice of Palace, Millwall, Charlton, Watford that is a reasonable commute at the same playing level. Anything else is a full blown move, and so probably more expensive and less practical for everyone to agree, especially on a shorter half season loan.

Needs must in this case I think.

They've signed Kevin Phillips as well, so I know who I'd have coming off the bench before Dobbie!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If he shows anything like the form for them that he did for us 'Agent Dobbie' could be come our secret weapon in the effort to get into the play-offs at Palace's expense, whilst saving us the cost of his wages.

Anyone who thinks we should be paying 15K a week (or whatever large sum it is) just to keep a player in our development squad to stop him playing for our rivals is seriously deluded about how big a club we are.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We all know he is going to come good at Palace - he is no loss here as he wasn't going to come good or get a chance to, but it will be so sad to see him do well at Palace - if only someone else had come in for him. Interesting that it is loan with perm after - not a loan and if he does well we bring him back.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What if loaning Dobbie enabled us to increase Bridcutt's pay enough to stop him going to Reading?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great move, he was a total waste of space. I'm also pleased it's Palace as it marks their true place in the scheme of things - only fit to sign our rejects. And do people really think that once at Palace he's suddenly going to turn into the next Wayne Rooney and will fire them into the Premiership? Is Poyet really that bad a coach?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here