Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Hopes

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Palace are not the only team in contention for the play offs. If he does well or scores against these rivals then we have gained even more than being able to finance Ulloa's wages.....or should we just overpay someone to not even make the bench?!

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
If it means our team contains the likes Bridge, Upson, Ulloa, Bruno, Spanish Dave, Vicente and Liam Bridcutt, then Palace are welcome to Dobbie. If I was a Palace fan, I would not be inspired by signing Dobbie & Phillips. We've got the potential to have a very exciting end to this season with the squad we've got now.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There are some idiots on here. People moan about us having weak centre backs, we loan out our fifth choice striker because he is reportedly our highest wage earner so we can afford the wages of a good centre back. No one else, other than Holloway, would have taken a chance on him given his performances/form here.

Idiots to you maybe. Fellow fans who understand the nature of rivalry to others.

And do you really think people will look at Doddie at the Albion and judge his ability on that ?

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
It's only fair to Tony that we stick to a budget.

It must have been a good deal to agree this, and do we really want to keep paying our 5th choice striker just to refuse him playing for palace?

A good deal for all involved.

Could have sold CMS for 3.5 million and played Dunk in place of Greer,premier league clubs were after him last season

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It was the right move letting him go. I don't think lending him to anyone around us was a good idea, Palace or not.

I hope he's as ineffectual for them as he was for us but I think Holloway will get the best out of him.

It's annoying tbh but after the money Bloom has put in, if he wants to loan out our highest earner and perennial reserve then so be it.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I would not put it in the same strong terms as the original post....but the whole concept of loaning players to clubs in the same division does baffle me.

I accept that those running the clubs do not share the partisan rivalry as the fans . It remains to be asked though, if a player does well for his temporary employer he could well contribute to the demise of his permanent employer,even if he does not play against them ...

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He isn't on loan really though is he ?

We've sold him to Palace and the phrasing loan is because he can't sign for a 3rd club this season.

Wasnt going to play for us and was earning a fair whack for playing dev squad football. Good move by Gus if its meant we can bring in Upson.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It's business pure and simple. Anyway, Palace aren't our real rivals - Pompey are.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Idiots to you maybe. Fellow fans who understand the nature of rivalry to others.

And do you really think people will look at Doddie at the Albion and judge his ability on that ?

Yes. He's been with us for several months and only being in the starting line up 5 times. I doubt Gus gives a shit who we've loaned him to as long as the wages are freed up for players in positions we actually need.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It's annoying tbh but after the money Bloom has put in, if he wants to loan out our highest earner and perennial reserve then so be it.

I agree with that. But it is also what surprises me. If Gus or Burke or whoever did the deal choosing to ignore the rivalry it would make some kind of sense. But TB understands. Ah well. it is done now. In Gus we trust.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes. He's been with us for several months and only being in the starting line up 5 times. I doubt Gus gives a shit who we've loaned him to as long as the wages are freed up for players in positions we actually need.

You originally put forward that other managers (not Gus) would judge him on his time at the Albion. That is what I was questioning. I suspect most people will conclude he did not get a fair chance or that he did not suit our style of play and that he would be an asset to most championship squads.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Imagine Dobbie is on 15K a week.

Imagine we need to find 25K per week to bring in a Premier League striker on Feb 23rd to see us through to the playoff final.

Imagine we can only fund 10K a week of this.

Yes, we could have sold Hoskins, but what if the offers weren't good enough for us or right for him.

Good move, and he may score some for palace, but perhaps they would have got someone else in if they couldn't get Dobbie, who could have scored a few as well.

Can't see this as anything but great for our budget ( and hence for BHAFC ).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm very relaxed about the Dobbie deal. Expensive player who can't get near our starting line-up signs for a manager he gets on with better. Good luck to him.

For reasons we may never fully understand, it hasn't worked out for him here. Gus presumably feels that isn't going to change, and in the meantime he's signing players like Upson and Ulloa. The wage bill doesn't stretch to infinity and there's no point having an unhappy player in the squad who won't get games. Solution looks simple, even if it does involve Crystal Palace.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Dobbie could have been a great player for us but for whatever reason, he hasn't had enough game time to settle in. He may have told Gus he wanted a move to Palace rather than sit on the bench (or not), or have Gus touting his name everywhere to see who would take him.

Holloway knows him well and obviously feels he can get the best out of him, Dobbie obviously is happy to go and work for Holloway again.

The fact that Holloway is manager of our fierce rivals is irrelevant. Dobbie can hurt other teams promotion prospects more than ours and we have freed up an (allegedly) big wage earner to enable us to bring in quality players.

Everyone is happy (or they should be!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here