Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno....

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Very much this. JTR you have shown yourself up for having a very poor understanding of the game if you seriously believe that.

Firstly who are you to question my knowledge/understanding of the game? Hiding behind a keyboard and playing pecking FIFA does not give you a superior knowledge of football my freind!

Secondly, if you bothered to actually read what I previously wrote I did say that football opinions are a personal thing and I stand by MY opinion that Calde is a better DEFENDER!
It is no coincidence that since Bruno has been back in the squad our results/form has dipped, whilst I clearly can’t lay the whole blame at Bruno’s feet I think it is a massive factor!

Look at the second half of last season and the beginning of the current one, we were so much tighter and more organized at the back with Calde and ultimately were conceding less goals!

Bruno reminds me of David Luiz, a confused player who is unsure of his roles and responsibilities and is prone to monumental feckup’s!
Why on earth did he lunge into that challenge on the edge of the box whilst on a yellow card?? Madness!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
with a midfield unable to play a penetrating forward pass, it is vital to have bruno pinging some balls about with a skill level all but buckley fails to have, no matter the risk. He's not there to be a rock, as very few fullbacks are these days, and for his madcap ways, he's an outlet we don't really have elsewhere. His weighted passes were excellent and i'll be pleased to see him keep his place and get his sharpness back in full. The only downside when he's up to stuff, other than the lunges, is that our left side doesn't get much gametime.

nail hit on head

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
To answer your points in order......

1. I am not a keyboard warrior
2. I do not play FIFA (or whatever it's called)
3. I have 27 years watching football including over 500 brighton games, 2 European championships and dozens off England internationals so I think it's fair to say I am reasonably well qualified to comment
4. If you balance Bruno's qualities against his moderate defensive ability on balance he offers a lot more to the team than Calderon. Quite possibly the best passer of a ball in the side and regularly opens up defences with his ability. (Much as I admire Calderon's work ethic he simply does not have this ability in his locker)
Firstly who are you to question my knowledge/understanding of the game? Hiding behind a keyboard and playing pecking FIFA does not give you a superior knowledge of football my freind!

Secondly, if you bothered to actually read what I previously wrote I did say that football opinions are a personal thing and I stand by MY opinion that Calde is a better DEFENDER!
It is no coincidence that since Bruno has been back in the squad our results/form has dipped, whilst I clearly can’t lay the whole blame at Bruno’s feet I think it is a massive factor!

Look at the second half of last season and the beginning of the current one, we were so much tighter and more organized at the back with Calde and ultimately were conceding less goals!

Bruno reminds me of David Luiz, a confused player who is unsure of his roles and responsibilities and is prone to monumental feckup’s!
Why on earth did he lunge into that challenge on the edge of the box whilst on a yellow card?? Madness!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Bruno was fantastic when he came to us last year, absolutely brilliant. His presence softened the blow of Vicente's absence.

And then he got injured. He has never been the same player since.

I don't understand what he has done to deserve a starting place ahead of Calde. Calde was, rightly, player of the month - and for those who were saying that Oscar would always pick a fit Bruno over him, he was keeping Bruno out of the side. Then Calde had one game, ONE GAME, where his performance dipped - and in came Bruno...

Bruno this season - he has been awful in midfield and, generally, awful in defence. At Yeovil his performance was just unbelievably poor.

Yesterday he was terrible in the first half, trying too much fancy dan stuff, giving the ball away again and again, being beaten by his man. He was, however much better in the second half, playing some good passes and looking less of a liability at the back.

It staggers me that Bruno can get in ahead of Calde, and also that som many seem to have forgotten how good Calde has been this year.

Neither Bruno or Calderon are good enough in that full back position - neither of them can head the ball and neither of them stop crosses coming in , both lack pace. Both are far better attacking than defending - it's a position we need to strengthen.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
He was very lucky to not get a second yellow, overall one of his best games since he went off the boil last season.

Last edited:

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
He was really really bad last night. Redeemed himself slightly in the last 10/15 mins with one great last ditch tackle and a couple of good balls but I'd be tempted to pay him and Lopez up and send them packing now, they've both been soooo **** this season.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
He was really really bad last night. Redeemed himself slightly in the last 10/15 mins with one great last ditch tackle and a couple of good balls but I'd be tempted to pay him and Lopez up and send them packing now, they've both been soooo **** this season.

Second that

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was ready to explode at Jones/Garcia if Bruno had of got sent off. He looked about as obvious that it was going to happen as Shalamar for Forest or whatever hes called

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think he may slowly be coming into form. He gave the ball away but he also played some good through balls and he defended the corners well. Most defenders will struggle with the attacking and skilful ball players Watford have. Bruno did ok tonight.

I actually agree with this. I think he is getting better. Some of his passing was excellent! Yes some was crap...but he wasn't the only one!

Don't get me started on Andrews !

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Calderon is a very good player.

But its simple, Bruno is better and by some way in my opinion.

His passing ability is light years ahead of Calderon, the paced ball he plays down the line to Buckley time after time really is excellent, he gets us moving forward way faster than Calderon.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
First half, I thought he looked a shadow of the player we signed again but in the second half he played 2 excellent through balls that could/should have led to something a bit better. He's clearly not the best header of the ball but did what was asked of him in that area. His defending is clearly a worry but I don't think that is going to change, even when he was in good form last season, he didn't really look much of a defender. Having said that one look at our GF/GA record tells you that our problem as a team is not a defensive one.

Also, though I can't give specifics from my vantage point in ESU, it surely couldn't have been an accident that pretty much all our attacking threat in the first half came down the right.

I saw enough of him this evening to think if he stays injury free for a bit he will become a decent player for us again.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Poor display from bruno overall for me. Not to mention the embarrassing dive in the first half. That led to a dangerous break.

Ooooh, I forgot about that, it was bloody awful & then he stayed on the ground play acting because his pride had been hurt. One of my least favourite moments of the game.

I still maintain he had a decent game, if he plays like the second half for the reaminder of the season we'll be happy with that I would think.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It seems to be every week people are arguing that Bruno is class because he used to play for Valencia, despite the fact he has been a liability in the previous game.
Would much rather have Calderon at RB.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012

3. I have 27 years watching football including over 500 brighton games, 2 European championships and dozens off England internationals so I think it's fair to say I am reasonably well qualified to comment
4. If you balance Bruno's qualities against his moderate defensive ability on balance he offers a lot more to the team than Calderon. Quite possibly the best passer of a ball in the side and regularly opens up defences with his ability. (Much as I admire Calderon's work ethic he simply does not have this ability in his locker)

Ref your point 3 - I have about 3 years on you then not that it makes any differance! and who gives a monkeys ballbag about how many games you have been to?? I'm not sad enough to have a tally chart running...

In summary the polls don’t lie! (check out the other thread)
By questioning my understanding of football you have just alienated the vast majority on here (around 70% in favour of Calde I would guess)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Which of these points make you qualified to question other knowledge of football?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Ref your point 3 - I have about 3 years on you then not that it makes any differance! and who gives a monkeys ballbag about how many games you have been to?? I'm not sad enough to have a tally chart running...

In summary the polls don’t lie! (check out the other thread)
By questioning my understanding of football you have just alienated the vast majority on here (around 70% in favour of Calde I would guess)

Polls do lie, that's why you will find that Bruno will start at Donny next week.

I am sure that everyone will trust Oscars decision on this and there will be no complaints :lolol:

I've said it was no surprise that Buckley got MOM yesterday because of all the good balls Bruno fed him. The biggest trouble is with some "fans" wearing shit tinted glasses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here