Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Isn't pre-season an opportunity for the manager and coaching team to consider different formations, different personnel and different approaches?

We are very quick to bury or laud a player based on pre-season sometimes. I do remember someone in the office who is a Plymouth fan laughing when we bought Barnes - he stated clearly that Barnes was a poor LEague 2 player. Mmmmmm - well despite some of the myopic shite posted on here over the last 18 months or so that view is clearly bollocks.

One of those rare occasions where I find myself in complete agreement with TCB. Waste of time drawing any real conclusions from run outs against non-league sides.

For instance - a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder at Arsenal went to the Maidstone game as his mate was playing for Maidstone. He could not believe how awesome Barnes looked, how extraordinary Bridcutt was and that he felt Brighton were a side destined for Premier LEague football.

We on the other hand simply think that CMS is no good, Barnes is cack and the whole formation is wrong - well depending on which thread you read.

Opnions. Ulitmately pointless really for football fans at this stage of the season.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Learnt more from last night than the Maidstone game I think.

Bruno looked good again, very promising for the season.

Great to see Elphick back.

GG had a rant at Buckley! Poor Will

Hope Hoskins carries on in this vain, hes certainly looking more confident/potent than CMS at the moment. Early days though, see where we are in September

Oct 6, 2010
My favourite quote from a stoke fan on there: "Pretty much every club in between 6th place in the Premier League and 24th in the Championship has missed out on a massive trick there. Bloody hell fire. "

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Learnt more from last night than the Maidstone game I think.

Bruno looked good again, very promising for the season.

Great to see Elphick back.

GG had a rant at Buckley! Poor Will

Hope Hoskins carries on in this vain, hes certainly looking more confident/potent than CMS at the moment. Early days though, see where we are in September

Called him a lanky streak of piss I think, quality rant!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
This sounds a bit like the 'Could Barcelona cope at Stoke on a Tuesday night in February' argument (they could, easily). Technical ability will beat 'getting stuck in' 9 times out of 10.

I'm not talking about arguably the greatest club side the world has ever seen - who incidentally lost to a highly negative Chelsea side when it mattered

I'm talking about whether a player from Spain, who is clearly technically gifted, will enjoy be roughed up in English football - whether you choose to accept it or not, many excellent footballers haven't had the fight for it in the past.

You've also selectively edited out my comments which suggest I think he will make the grade - but I don't accept it's a formality.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
I'm not talking about arguably the greatest club side the world has ever seen - who incidentally lost to a highly negative Chelsea side when it mattered

I'm talking about whether a player from Spain, who is clearly technically gifted, will enjoy be roughed up in English football - whether you choose to accept it or not, many excellent footballers haven't had the fight for it in the past.

You've also selectively edited out my comments which suggest I think he will make the grade - but I don't accept it's a formality.

If Stoke couldn't do it, then he should have no problems.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not talking about arguably the greatest club side the world has ever seen - who incidentally lost to a highly negative Chelsea side when it mattered.

Yeah, cos Barca haven't won anything over English sides "when it mattered" over the last few years have they?! That was a massive one off and you know it.

Name some technically quality Spanish players who have struggled over here of recent?

David Silva? Juan Mata? - When you're that good technically, it doesn't matter how many stupid thugs the other side have, they won't get near enough the ball to do any physical damage.

As mentioned above, Saltor was SUPERB against Stoke so the whole argument kinda falls down there.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Last time I saw an Albion friendly at Lewes Doug Loft looked good.

Salter looked an exceptional player - but it was one half against a non-League team. I agree with the OP - we should be in for a treat this season, but I thought the same about Harley after his debut at the Amex against Posh.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Salter looked an exceptional player - but it was one half against a non-League team. I agree with the OP - we should be in for a treat this season, but I thought the same about Harley after his debut at the Amex against Posh.

I entirely see and respect your point, but neither of the other players you named had, has, or ever will have the pedigree or experience that Bruno has.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Harley is still a very talented player. His free kick last season is still massively underrated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5043131 said:
But people will remember him for his farcical attempt at a spot kick down the New Den :lolol:

Quite. If Vicente scored that free kick it would be posted on here every day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Of course not. If he and his family settle in - it will be very exciting.

(I was teasing about Loft - he did score - but didn't stand out).

I'll tell you who DID genuinely stand out in that game. Kevin McLeod. I thought he was going to be the BUSINESS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here