Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brookes worst ref in prem?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No quibbles about the red card but he was pretty useless all round as usual. Whistle happy. Gave both sides free-kicks that were laughable, likewise mixing up corners and goal-kicks and hugely inconsistent in his judgment of what merits a card. Be lenient or be strict - no-one minds - but don’t keep flipping between the two.

He’s not the reason we dropped 2 points - we can mess that up all on our own - but that doesn’t mean he’s any good.
Not the worst as he’s facing some stiff competition…but agree with what you’ve said …he just made the frustration of losing two points against arguably the worst side at The AMex this season to date , even more irritating

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a fan of RDZs comments.

A journalist who was there did ask him to ‘expand on his comments’ but he didn’t / wouldn’t. Seemed odd as I don’t think the ref did a lot wrong today

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
When Baleba was about to break into the box for a 1-vs-1 against the keeper but was taken out. There was a clear goal scoring opportunity wiped out by a professional foul. Not even a yellow. I’ve seen worse refereeing a number of times but he was poor.

Added to that, he made some absolute howlers be they throw-ins or fouls.
It’s all so much simpler and more obvious when you’re sitting 100 metres away, isn’t it? Especially when judging decisions against our players. How come we never spot the risible decisions that go in our favour? I had a great view of a goal-kick-to-us decision that should have been a corner to them in the 2nd half. While the Sheff Utd fans and players rightly did their nut, all the Albion fans round me in East Upper warmly applauded the referee and pretended we didn’t know the truth.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Odd that there isn't more focus on the penalty decision.
Having seen it back, it's 100% a penalty.

Genuinely surprised VAR decided against it, the rules seem to change every week.

Last edited:

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
He was and his assistant on the west side was appalling all game. The standard of referring has got so low now since VAR as I feel they bottle decisions as they put the onus the idiots in the VAR room to make the crucial ones. Get rid of VAR and the standard would improve. The assistant gave 2 offsides in second half which were not even close.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I see De Zerbi has said he doesn’t like 80% of English referees. He’s completely right. All Premier League referees are arrogant with no obvious understanding of football.
Very ill judged remark from RDZ. Most PL refs seem to have big egos, they will have noted this comment and it might come back to bite us?

Our manager losing his cool when we go down to 10 men won’t have helped the way we played after that either imo.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I'm not sure about this referee today but what is shocking is the lack of consistency from ref to ref.

Against Fulham the ref blew to stop play every time a Fulham played laid prone on the pitch , today the ref waived play on when Joao Pedro laid down clutching his head. What is the actual rule concerning this and why is it not applied consistently across the Prem ?
I thought not stopping game for Pedro was very good and wish more refs would do it. He was soon up when ref took no notice of him playing dead.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought not stopping game for Pedro was very good and wish more refs would do it. He was soon up when ref took no notice of him playing dead.
Exactly.

My lad was getting angry with the ref at that point. I had to point out that Pedro was OK and everyone knew that, including the ref.

It's embarrassing.

Watch in this clip how Keane etc get completely wiped out and just bounce straight back to their feet and get on with it:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
honestly i didn’t have an issue with him today. he’s part of a younger generation of refs, and has made a couple of howlers, but in the grand scheme of things, strikes me neither as an arrogant tosser or a total invertebrate. so no.

worst ref is unquestionably salisbury. overpromoted, well beyond his abilities. bankes and attwell can fight it out between themselves for second and third
Thought he had a decent game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At the game, I thought he had a poor one. Watching back the highlights, I was wrong on a number of them.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
This.

VAR is supposed to support referees….

At that moment he needed support, clear penalty IMO.
Yes, it was a penalty and that's exactly what VAR is supposed to be for. Apparently, they didn't review because his arm was by his side, except that it wasn't, of course. If they had looked properly they would have seen his arm well away from his body and a penalty all day long.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes, it was a penalty and that's exactly what VAR is supposed to be for. Apparently, they didn't review because his arm was by his side, except that it wasn't, of course. If they had looked properly they would have seen his arm well away from his body and a penalty all day long.
Pretty sure they did review.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here