Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brookes worst ref in prem?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
honestly i didn’t have an issue with him today. he’s part of a younger generation of refs, and has made a couple of howlers, but in the grand scheme of things, strikes me neither as an arrogant tosser or a total invertebrate. so no.

worst ref is unquestionably salisbury. overpromoted, well beyond his abilities. bankes and attwell can fight it out between themselves for second and third

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
John Brookes in my opinion worst ref in prem.
Very disappointed by how long the ref thread took today. Go to the back of the class.

What don't you like about him ? (Not giving every decision our way doesn't count).

I saw the footage and I think there was one foul we should have got and one Pedro, who should be on a stage somewhere, conned him into.

I was a bit raw when Norwood didn't get a yellow card, but the replay showed it wasn't even a foul.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Usually I give the refs a bit of leeway, but what a gutless, spineless, useless streak of piss this guy was.

And his blind linesman.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No quibbles about the red card but he was pretty useless all round as usual. Whistle happy. Gave both sides free-kicks that were laughable, likewise mixing up corners and goal-kicks and hugely inconsistent in his judgment of what merits a card. Be lenient or be strict - no-one minds - but don’t keep flipping between the two.

He’s not the reason we dropped 2 points - we can mess that up all on our own - but that doesn’t mean he’s any good.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What did he do wrong?
When Baleba was about to break into the box for a 1-vs-1 against the keeper but was taken out. There was a clear goal scoring opportunity wiped out by a professional foul. Not even a yellow. I’ve seen worse refereeing a number of times but he was poor.

Added to that, he made some absolute howlers be they throw-ins or fouls.

But we should have been 2-0 up in the 1st half so it’s probably our finishing more than the ref that is to blame for the 2 points dropped.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When Baleba was about to break into the box for a 1-vs-1 against the keeper but was taken out. There was a clear goal scoring opportunity wiped out by a professional foul. Not even a yellow.
Glenn Murray didn't even think it was a foul....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glenn Murray didn't even think it was a foul....
Nor did I - thought he took the ball cleanly. Thought the ref was inconsistent with bookings today but Fulham and Everton ones were worse. That said, that doesn’t mean much…0

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Regardless of anyone’s views on Brooks, I’d think we’d all be happier if refs hadn’t made themselves the centre of attention at every match. VAR has guaranteed that. We’ve moved so far from the old yardstick that a good ref was one you didn’t notice that it’s ruining the game.

Not really a comment on today but the Premier League in general.

Edit: On the Chelsea game, they have literally just spent another 30 seconds checking whether the ball hit Haaland’s elbow as he slid into the net with it. The ball was behind him and already crossing/over the line. They’re on a different planet.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here