Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Broadband advice needed

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you're in Hove DON'T go with Virgin, over utilization and constant lies by the technical team.

Weird - I'm in Hove and get 33mb+ constantly on my 30mb contract.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I have been with BT for years and in that time have moved a number of times. I did have their option 3 which was always good, but just recently changed to their Infinity service. I even managed to get this for the same price I was paying before. Never had any real issues with the service and the few times I have they have fixed it within a day.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was with Virgin in my old place and it was cracking, with sky now, its still good but I would much prefer Virgin, was a lot quicker and could easily manage 3 people on the internet downloading and streaming at the same time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One of my sons has just moved to BT from talktalk who I am with and says that BT and Virgin are the only companies using fibre optics for broadband and the other companies use their equipment. According to him the government regulation on charging for this use is now finished so BT will be able to charge other companies like SKy whatever they wish to ensure that they cannot compete with BT on price. The only problem I have had with Talktalk is their customer services are rubbish as nobody seems to be able to speak or understand English other than the questions they have on their questionairre format.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'd steer clear of sky, I'm having massive problems with them, I moved from Brighton to Burgess hill in June, had to leave virgin and move to someone else, had sky tv put in so decided to have internet as well.

When we moved in tey estimated our speed to be between 5-9mb.

It's always been really really slow, phoned them up for the umpteenth time last night, and our speed was 0.3mb. Never had over 1.0mb yet.

They're doing a line optimisation test until this evening. I'm expecting a call a 17.30 to let me know what the story is, if its still crap then they can shove it and I'll go somewhere else. If I can break the contract. But that's a different story.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
One of my sons has just moved to BT from talktalk who I am with and says that BT and Virgin are the only companies using fibre optics for broadband and the other companies use their equipment. According to him the government regulation on charging for this use is now finished so BT will be able to charge other companies like SKy whatever they wish to ensure that they cannot compete with BT on price. The only problem I have had with Talktalk is their customer services are rubbish as nobody seems to be able to speak or understand English other than the questions they have on their questionairre format.

I don't know how accurate that information is, but SKY will easily compete with BT on price. BT of course want it all their own way, but OFCOM are wise to all the ISP's tricks these days and usually bring them into line

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Been with Virgin quite a while now. Had very few problems.
I'm surprised that Plusnet is being slagged off here. As they promote they are a Yorkshire company, I thought they'd be MASSIVELY brilliant.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Orange yet. I had their service for years and always found them very good - until we had a gap in service due to not living in our own home, and they wouldn't keep us on the same deal when we re-connected.

I'm hoping that Sky will be good, as their service goes live tomorrow. We've been using next door's Sky broadband since we moved in 3 weeks ago!

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
I'm expecting a call a 17.30....... .

Good luck, I never rely on any services on their promised callbacks. it just never happens.
I had someone promise me categorically they would call me back....nothing. Called them back thye knew nothing about it.

That is all so typical these days, almost to the extent it is expected

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Good luck, I never rely on any services on their promised callbacks. it just never happens.
I had someone promise me categorically they would call me back....nothing. Called them back thye knew nothing about it.

That is all so typical these days, almost to the extent it is expected

If that is the case then I shall go to the pub instead of wait in, it is Friday tomorrow and poets day to boot so I can a moderate hangover in the morning.

Love your avatar, I have that record too, unplayed, in mint condition, still got the greaseproof paper sleeve in it and the original receipt!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We are using AOL at the moment and have not been happy with them for ages but couldn't be bothered to move. Any advice out there, views on BT,Sky etc.We definitely need a wireless router,our current AOL router is very ineffectual.

In a nutshell AOL is the worst broad you can get, not only is it just generally shite but completely takes over your whole computer.
I had it for 4 years and it was 4 years of utter torment !!
I then changed to BT which was not quite as bad but the problems with downloading were immense, they
kept sending me snipey little emails saying i was exceeding my limit under the fair useage policy.
I was amazed at this as i had their "Top unlimited package" BULLSHIT !!
Moved to Sky broadband, lovely Sky, wonderful Sky want to have your babies Sky !!! and have never ever had a problem in 3 years !!!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Not true i'm afraid ... Ofcom are still applying the squeeze on BT and they will not be free from regulations for a few years yet. All other Cp,s can use BT lines and internet and charge lower prices which really isn,t fair when BT have outlaid on all the infrastructure in the 1st place.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don't know how accurate that information is, but SKY will easily compete with BT on price. BT of course want it all their own way, but OFCOM are wise to all the ISP's tricks these days and usually bring them into line

Sky will cpmpete because tey use the BT network and have not paid a penny towards it. Try putting the boot on the other foot and get Sky to open uo the TV side .... NO CHANCE

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Sky will cpmpete because tey use the BT network and have not paid a penny towards it. Try putting the boot on the other foot and get Sky to open uo the TV side .... NO CHANCE

SKY use thier own equipment for ADSL. They use BT for fibre but are building out thier own Fibre network just as they have done with ADSL.

The reason BT are currently restricted is that the company was built using taxpayers money and thus would have been a monopoly had the government via OFCOM not made them share resources with smaller companies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here