Broadband advice needed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
We are using AOL at the moment and have not been happy with them for ages but couldn't be bothered to move. Any advice out there, views on BT,Sky etc.We definitely need a wireless router,our current AOL router is very ineffectual.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I suppose it depends where you are But i changed from virgin to sky And then back to virgin within a month
sky speeds were shit they will also only come 3 metres into your houes so i had to have the sockets in the bedroom
virgin all the way for me

Camicus

Depends where you are who "owns" your local exchange rights. Have a look at Uswitch they will have a map so you can see wich providers having best speed in your area. If you are in a "Cabled" area then go Virgin if not Sky/BT are good but stay away from Talk Talk and plus net as they are rubbish.

Hope this helps if you want to chat wireless routers give me a PM I tend to be a bit of a bore so wont hassle NSC with my geekery :D

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've got BT and never had a problem. I did have Sky and I found the range of the router to be rubbish, they changed it and it still didn't improve and I ended up having to get a repeater to make it work. For some reason I think that issue was pretty unique to me, otherwise they are broadly similar, prices are much the same too, and you can't ditch the BT line which might have influenced my decision if I could

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Virgin for me all the way. They are also gradually doubling all their speeds for free so next month my 30mb will go to 60mb for no extra money !

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Ive just moved from sky to virgin and im as happy as a pig in shit. Went from 2.5mbs to what feels like the speed of light (60+mbs). you can use a broadband speed website to give you an idea of what all the internet providers speeds in your street are like. also virgin fix your equipment for free which sky wont do.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Virgin if your cabled, BT if not!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If you're in a BT Infinity area, GET IT.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
BT Infinity is the fastest and they have the best kit, the guy who put mine in also installs for the other companies and he said you can't beat their modems and the hub. Dad has sky broadband downstairs and has a far slower connection than me and wireless is not good, he uses the wireless signal from my BT homehub around the house, even in the room the Sky router is situated.
Can't comment on Virgin as Burgess Hill does not have cable despite the fact it's 2012

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Incorrect.

My SKY router is currently being replaced. Out of warranty. Free of charge.

Just needed a threat to close my account and the price went to zero without hesitation.

i also had a router problem and they replaced it for free, what virgin do is repair/replace without the need to threaten them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Incorrect.

My SKY router is currently being replaced. Out of warranty. Free of charge.

Just needed a threat to close my account and the price went to zero without hesitation.

I used to be with Sky and as a customer I got fed up of having to threaten to leave to get something for free. Added to the fact that they regularly took between 5 to 10 days to fix while the most I've had to wait for Virgin is 2 days I'd say Sky don't really give a toss about their customers.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I used to be with Sky and as a customer I got fed up of having to threaten to leave to get something for free. Added to the fact that they regularly took between 5 to 10 days to fix while the most I've had to wait for Virgin is 2 days I'd say Sky don't really give a toss about their customers.

It does seem that way sadly. I'm surprised SKY don't include free repairs/replacements in their charges as per Virgin.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Depends where you are who "owns" your local exchange rights. Have a look at Uswitch they will have a map so you can see wich providers having best speed in your area. If you are in a "Cabled" area then go Virgin if not Sky/BT are good but stay away from Talk Talk and plus net as they are rubbish.

Hope this helps if you want to chat wireless routers give me a PM I tend to be a bit of a bore so wont hassle NSC with my geekery :D

Was with PlusNet for 15 years. Never had a problem. They even refunded me a months fee when we had no internet for 2 weeks (due to a BT fault).

Camicus

Was with PlusNet for 15 years. Never had a problem. They even refunded me a months fee when we had no internet for 2 weeks (due to a BT fault).
Good for you Woodchip however Plusnet constantly come bottom of customer satisfaction surveys due to poor customer service, unreliable data usage figures, poor tec support. I wouldnt feel right recommending them even on a internet forum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports