Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi drawing attention of Europe's top clubs

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'd be disappointed but not surprised if there's something in this. He's not stayed anywhere too long and, as others have pointed out, is much less circumspect than previous managers of ours when asked about transfers, his future etc. His interest isn't going to be in Brighton's long term financial sustainability, it's going to be focused on the strength of the squad, which is almost certainly going to be weaker next season (no trossard, caicedo, macallister potentially). If he perceives he's not being backed he may well want out.
Even if we lose both Mac and Sulky Boy ( and I think only Caicedo will go ) we will re-invest and strengthen. We have one of the best groups of young talent in the PL. All will be better next season. I cannot see us being weaker. No one is irreplaceable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Kind of disagree we really miss Lallana’s clever link up play we couldn’t stop scoring with him on the pitch. We looked like we were going to trounce Leicester until he went off and then it went kind of the same way as Palace, Bmuff and Fulham. A young Lallana would be an ideal signing.
Villa too - we taking them apart, 1-0 up and he limped off early doors. After that they played a counter attack game, naively we offered them our entire half, only Dunk in defence with his football brain spotting danger.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Villa too - we taking them apart, 1-0 up and he limped off early doors. After that they played a counter attack game, naively we offered them our entire half, only Dunk in defence with his football brain spotting danger.
Funny you should mention Villa was chatting to my mate last night a Wolves supporter and he said the Fulham game reminded him of our Villa game. He also said why is Sarmiento not playing which to be fair is a good question.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Funny you should mention Villa was chatting to my mate last night a Wolves supporter and he said the Fulham game reminded him of our Villa game. He also said why is Sarmiento not playing which to be fair is a good question.
I was surprised Sarmiento didn't come on, he made a real impact against Bournemouth. The other player to mention when you say we didn't bring anyone in to replace Trossard is Buonanotte who appears to be the sub RDZ is going to when we need a goal.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Chances are we’ll be able to get Potter and Bruno et al back if this happens :wink:

Better yet, all we'd have to do is pry Hughton away from Ghana if Potter and crew say "no." He would be the best choice left, Hogwarts and all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was surprised Sarmiento didn't come on, he made a real impact against Bournemouth. The other player to mention when you say we didn't bring anyone in to replace Trossard is Buonanotte who appears to be the sub RDZ is going to when we need a goal.
Sarmiento being the live wire that he is seems to roams across the front areas he frees up Mitoma to some extent as he takes defensive bodies away from him. I thought he played really well against Liverpool and Bmuff maybe deserves a starting place.

I’m aware of Buonanotte although surely he’s more one for the future similar to Enciso. Hard to tell on the brief cameo appearances.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Both were similar to me too. Gamesmanship. But I thought we played better on Saturday. Villa, we fell for Emery’s oh so obvious tactics.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sarmiento being the live wire that he is seems to roams across the front areas he frees up Mitoma to some extent as he takes defensive bodies away from him. I thought he played really well against Liverpool and Bmuff maybe deserves a starting place.

I’m aware of Buonanotte although surely he’s more one for the future similar to Enciso. Hard to tell on the brief cameo appearances.
I thought the same, but RDZ turned to him on 73mins rather than Sarmiento and Enciso when we were really pushing for a goal, which maybe tells us RDZ is already rating him quite highly in the order of things?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
We need to win the FA Cup for Europe and to keep De Zerbi's interest. He wants success and to win trophies that much is clear

THIS. He’s come on board because he believed TB and PB’s sales pitch and from my perspective we need to back up our aims through definitive summer transfer action because otherwise, as we saw with Gus and to a lesser extent Garcia (our most relevant latin personality proxies) we might see a much shorter parting of ways than we’d all hoped.

The release clause is a moot point to me. If De Zerbi isn’t backed, gets angry and wants to leave but no one pays the fee then he’s not exactly going to be left in role while we appoint a successor is he?

There’s enough noise out there already to suggest he’s questioning whether our ambitions match his and whilst I hope it doesn’t end acrimoniously I fear it will if the season peters out and we don’t tie key personnel down or replace with serious quality in the early part of the window.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Am I missing something? He signed a four year deal and Tony Bloom explained everything about the club to him even down to trips to Gillingham in our dark days. I am sure he would have been explained how the club opperate as far as transfer fees, wages, selling and buying players and we never do much during the Januaray transfer window. So why would he be shocked. We turned down massive bids for Caicedo. We let Trossard go, but he was out of contract at the end of the season and had a strop anyway.

Surley he knew what he was signing up for. I don't see what has chnaged, apart from the media expecting us to fall apart becuse Potter left and they are in shock that we didn't. RDZ must be the greatest manager ever because Brighton are still dong well. Then they make up stories about the extent of the interest from other clubs. There maybe interest from other clubs as there was obviously interest from us when he was managing Sassuolo does not mean they will make a bid for him

Try to stop worring about things you can't control and enjoy the moment.

Last edited:

Am I missing something? He signed a four year deal and Tony Bloom explained everything about the club to him even down to trips to Gillingham in our dark days. I am sure he would have been explained how the club opperate as far as transfer fees, wages, selling and buying players and we never do much during the Januaray transfer window. So why would he be shocked. We turned down massive bids for Caicedo. We let Trossard go, but he was out of contract at the end of the season and had a strop anyway.

Surley he knew what he was signing up for. I don't see what has chnaged, apart from the media expecting us to fall apart becuse Potter left and they are in shock that we didn't. RDZ must be the greatest manager ever because Brighton are still dong well. Then they make up stories about the extent of the interest from other clubs. There maybe interest from other clubs as there was obviously interest from us when he was managing Sassuolo does not mean they will make a bid for him

Try to stop worring about things you can't control and enjoy the moment.
Agree. It was Roberto who wanted to come and just as it happened he was the only 1 interviewed. He had done his homework on us and vice versa. He would of been well briefed on our operating system and yes, he's ambitious and after the 1st dozen games with the squad realising just how good they are, he's put it out there that we can go for a European place. The steadfast refusal to sell MC for 70 million was a big "we're backing you" from Tony and Paul in terms of keeping our best players in situ at least until the summer.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Both were similar to me too. Gamesmanship. But I thought we played better on Saturday. Villa, we fell for Emery’s oh so obvious tactics.
They tried the same against Arsenal and it backfired. Interestingly on a phone in I was listening to this week, the point was made that Martinez has got a bit too big for his boots and that his theatrics and mind games are becoming just a bit too much even for their fans, and that it might trigger him being sold on in the summer.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Waiting expectantly for the “too good for Brighton” remark from one of them

This. Exactly. The "You know, Brighton. Not a real club..." nonsense is enough to make my blood boil...

From BBC, 20 Feb 2023:

Transfer news: Premier League sides keeping eye on Ferguson./SIZE]

Excuse me, but every time I look at the Premier League table, there's a team called "Brighton Hove Albion" near the top of it.
For whom Ferguson is already playing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here