Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi drawing attention of Europe's top clubs

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Brighton are now just recognised clickbait material for any journalist wanting a brief spike on views now. It is getting really annoying now, the moment anyone at our club does something good the "press" and social media are all aboard the hype train, I am getting sick of it.

There is no way we are going to let RDZ walk for the reason quoted. We'll be busy in the summer and Roberto will have his input.
Correct. If in January, or the coming summer, RDZ had voiced his frustration about signings there's no chance Bloom/Barber would have sat by and said ''nah we're not gonna bother signing anyone''. If they thought there was even the slightest chance of RDZ genuinely being upset they'd have gone all out in January to buy Matvienko or whoever he wanted. Of course it was well planned, but they've struck gold with the RDZ appointment, and wouldnt want to risk it. Im sure more likely is that RDZ would have liked new players, but understood that January is a tough time for purchases & we'll be instead very busy in the summer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe we should stop saying everyone and anyone is for sale at the right price as long as it’s not in January :smile:

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
How does the article support it? Is rumour and more rumour with no substance what so ever
How can it be rumour with ‘no substance whatsoever’ when a simple google search shows RDZ saying they he has made the club aware of positions he thought we could improve. Also bids for players that we didn’t get over the line in January/. No one is denying we submitted multiple bids for the Ukrainian Centre half, a player RDZ knows well. The notion he wouldn’t be disappointed we couldn’t get that done is bonkers.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Any Brighton manager, current or future, needs to appreciate that he's at a club with an incredibly sophisticated scouting network. I would imagine that their input is welcomed but the idea that managers slide a bit of paper in front of the chairman with names on it, and the club then makes these their priority signings, is a bit Barry Fry. (Or Lloyd.)

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Correct. If in January, or the coming summer, RDZ had voiced his frustration about signings there's no chance Bloom/Barber would have sat by and said ''nah we're not gonna bother signing anyone''. If they thought there was even the slightest chance of RDZ genuinely being upset they'd have gone all out in January to buy Matvienko or whoever he wanted. Of course it was well planned, but they've struck gold with the RDZ appointment, and wouldnt want to risk it. Im sure more likely is that RDZ would have liked new players, but understood that January is a tough time for purchases & we'll be instead very busy in the summer.
I don’t agree with this. As is frequently stated we won’t overpay for any player which is why we didn’t get Matvienko. Why would RDZ care about us spending an extra £6/8m. He wants the best tools to do the job and for the sake of a few million we didn’t give them to him. From a financial governance perspective that’s fine and probably sensible, from a managers perspective even if he understand he would surely be frustrated. He wouldn’t be human not to be, he doesn’t view the club as we do and it’s naive to think he would do (not aimed at you)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Would be nice to give him a nice new contract. Won't stop him going but may price him out of many markets.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How can it be rumour with ‘no substance whatsoever’ when a simple google search shows RDZ saying they he has made the club aware of positions he thought we could improve. Also bids for players that we didn’t get over the line in January/. No one is denying we submitted multiple bids for the Ukrainian Centre half, a player RDZ knows well. The notion he wouldn’t be disappointed we couldn’t get that done is bonkers.
But how does the article support that? All it does is say any number of clubs could change their manager and RDZ could be the one they choose to replace them with. The article has absolutely nothing it it

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Should read:

'The 43-year-old has already been linked with Tottenham Hotspur should Antonio Conte leave the London club at the end of the season. The link was made by an intern at a media office who couldn't come up with a useful clickbait story in time for the 17.00 deadline'

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
have to say, for all my bullishness earlier the line about being frustrated re transfers is interesting.

maintain that it'll be difficult to prize him from a project that he feels he is being supported in. the support network around him is definitely excellent, and he'll definitely be in regular discussion with the technical people about recruitment.

but if he feels we aren't spending as much as he'd reasonably like, regardless of whether you think we should spend more or not, then us losing him becomes very possible if a club can pay that fee and would give him more money. that possibly includes spurs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why isn’t Marco Silva or Thomas Frank being touted like this?
Always seems to be Brighton players/staff…
Because we take the money eventually it’s well known it’s the business model. I think January proved it’s a business and not a club with ambition to push over the line for footballs sake.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I'd be disappointed but not surprised if there's something in this. He's not stayed anywhere too long and, as others have pointed out, is much less circumspect than previous managers of ours when asked about transfers, his future etc. His interest isn't going to be in Brighton's long term financial sustainability, it's going to be focused on the strength of the squad, which is almost certainly going to be weaker next season (no trossard, caicedo, macallister potentially). If he perceives he's not being backed he may well want out.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When he spoke about learning English when coming to Shakhtar he specifically mentioned "his career" as the reason, and most likely wasn't thinking of spending the rest of his career in a mid-table club. The man is clearly ambitious and does not see Brighton as his final step, and thank f*** for that - once Brighton start signing staff and players who does not have the ambition to work in the biggest clubs and be among the best in the world, it is the start of a downwill journey.

If he does well, he'll end up somewhere else. Pretty simple. Most likely he'll stay in England because thats where he can earn the best money and coach the best players, which is two things any good manager wants.

I dont think it will happen for another 18 months or so though, at least. He's had a good start but not that much as been accomplished yet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Because we take the money eventually it’s well known it’s the business model. I think January proved it’s a business and not a club with ambition to push over the line for footballs sake.
Whilst I don’t fully agree with this viewpoint I was very frustrated we couldn’t show a little flexibility this January. Had we been sitting in 12th then steady as she goes but we were in the top six with other teams struggling, this was the opportunity to push a little bit. Football is about dreams after all and achieving new things.

And before the usual zealots accuse me of jeopardising the clubs financial future I am talking about spending an extra few million for Matvienko and maybe replacing Trossard with an Estupinan type signing. If we miss out this season how many more will it be before Liverpool, Chelsea and to an extent Spurs struggle as much again and Newcastle will only go from strength to strength.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst I don’t fully agree with this viewpoint I was very frustrated we couldn’t show a little flexibility this January. Had we been sitting in 12th then steady as she goes but we were in the top six with other teams struggling, this was the opportunity to push a little bit. Football is about dreams after all and achieving new things.

And before the usual zealots accuse me of jeopardising the clubs financial future I am talking about spending an extra few million for Matvienko and maybe replacing Trossard with an Estupinan type signing. If we miss out this season how many more will it be before Liverpool, Chelsea and to an extent Spurs struggle.
All we really need is a striker who can score more regularly, breaking the deadlock against Fulham for example, tucking away half chances.

The problem is that those players are sought by all European clubs, therefore the fees/wages involved are huge.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And before the usual zealots accuse me of jeopardising the clubs financial future I am talking about spending an extra few million for Matvienko and maybe replacing Trossard with an Estupinan type signing. If we miss out this season how many more will it be before Liverpool, Chelsea and to an extent Spurs struggle as much again and Newcastle will only go from strength to strength.
Maybe the recruitment team doesn't feel that Matvienko is all that. Club might not be willing to spend substantial money on a player that perhaps just RDZ wants. No big deal IMHO, happens to every manager that they don't get a player they feel that they want.
I'm relatively sure the club will spend a bit of money in the summer and that RDZ will have a strong say in the incomings and outgoings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here