Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs York City

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Cheeky Monkey said:
Was with my other half in the East Terrace because she wouldn't go in the North. Remember walking up Goldstone Lane afterwards amongst York City Supporters. Some of the earlier mutual admiration, clapping and shaking hands between our fans and theirs had now turned to anger for some when they realised the game wasn't going to continue and "f***ing Aids infested wankers" and "Gay ****s" were a couple of the more choice comments from a section of those walking up the Lane. Long way to come for 15 mins of football.

Met a few York City fans on my way back to Coventry and they were all supportive

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My old flatmate told me how he thought the Brighton fans were great.

He is a Walsall fan and I think we played them last game of the season. They always go on the pitch at the end of the season and I think he said we were singing Walsall songs or something similar. I didn't go to that away game though. Can anyone confirm this?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
BarrelofFun said:

He is a Walsall fan and I think we played them last game of the season. They always go on the pitch at the end of the season and I think he said we were singing Walsall songs or something similar. I didn't go to that away game though. Can anyone confirm this?

There was a period of mutual admiration afterwards if I remember rightly. Not sure about singing Walsall songs though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
brightonfan_86 said:
I was there in the south stand, total chaos.

you must have been about 3

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
The start of the pitch invasion was planned in the 'exchange' before the game. A load of lads went in to the west standing and came on to the pitch from there. As for the cross bars being broken as a plan, trust me when i say it was just people who ran on and wanted to break the cross bar, it was just a good excuse to do it, nothing to do with the protest. In fact was a lot of lads i used to knock about with, it would have been me but i couldnt run as fast as them to get to the goal posts !!

There were no C18 or chelsea elements, media bullshit,or Brighton Bullshit to deflect the fines or ban they may get.

Funny you should say that the York fans were calling us "aids ridden etc etc" cos they werent saying that to us at the time when we went for a chat :smokin:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
BUTTERBALL said:
Found this on 'the net'

ttiao2.jpg

Brighton & Hove Albion vs. York City
The Goldstone Ground, Saturday April 27th 1996
Brighton v York on 27th April 1996 was the start of something in our family. I'd been living in exile in Yorkshire since 1987, but I still followed the Albion. I say followed, in the papers mainly & the odd trip to Rotherham or Barnsley.

Ever since there had been rumblings about the sale of the ground & move to Portsmouth, I'd been subscribing to the Argus in the hope of finding out more. I, like a lot of people wasn't a PC user, so the Argus or Ceefax was as far as information technology went. As the months & weeks went on & it looked as if 27th April would be our last game at the Goldstone, I got more & more wrapped up - there was no way the ground was going without me saying goodbye.

So on that sunny Saturday morning I set off, wearing a shirt, holding a scarf & with a camera in my handbag. How could I put nearlly 20 years of memories into one film? I couldn't. I told myself to savour every moment. It was a perfect spring day as I strolled accross Hove Park, the same sort of spring day that would have seen my mother pushing me in a pram not very far from here all those years ago. I went to the club shop before the game & bought a babygrow. I wasn't pregnant & didn't even want any more children, but it looked cute.

But the atmosphere was not that of a spring day. There was something up. I don't know quite how to put my finger on it, I couldn't summon up the enthusiasm to sing my heart out, I just wanted to look, listen & remember. I couldn't settle into watching the game. I stood in my old spot on the North Terrace, trying to spot former friends amongst the crowd, but the whole crowd was watching, waiting for something to happen.

We didn't have to wait long. 3.16pm to be precise. Fans on the pitch, players off, game over.

I couldn't go without saying thank you & goodbye. I walked slowly down to the pitch, people were just milling about. A steward helped me over the wall. I just bent down to touch the pitch, to say thank you & so long. As I turned to walk up the terracing, a spark ignited inside me. Mr Archer, I don't care where you live, I don't care how rich you are, I won't let you let my club die. I don't want my kids to grow up not having the memories that I have had because of this club.

Life for us changed that day. I was shaken out of my complacency, I may not have done very much, but I was there for the team when they needed them.

By the time the first kick of the 96/97 season took place I was pregnant & the babygrow was worn by my beautiful daughter Emily to our last game at Hereford.

The passion that came flooding back on that sunny Saturday has not gone away, it lives with us every week. It doesn't matter if we've driven 250 miles for a 0-0 draw, or we've lost 2-1 in injury time - we were there, we have a team to support. Thank you Dick Knight. Thank you Brighton fans.

by Judith Burke

The pitch invasion started in the south West end.I was either 2nd or 3rd person on.I still remember the bloke who started it.I'm bang in the center of that picture:clap2:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Bozza said:
Awfully baggy too. And what's that on your head?
A crossbar?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i was in the north stand

well...............for about 20 minutes anyway

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
John Boy said:
I remember being totally confused with what was going on, I had no idea what was going to happen.

I have this game on video- made by the Kemp Brothers, but with 'not for re-sale' stickers all over it

You had no idea what was going to happen? I knew there was going to be a pitch invasion and I live in Coventry :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Superphil said:
I was sightly suprised at a number of fans in the north stand when they started chanting "loyal supporters" and criticising the fans on the pitch, I think in those days you had to appreciate, something had to happen to make anyone take notice, and suggesting that the fans on the pitch were not loyal was pretty poor judgement IMO.
I stayed in the North sand and was one of the one's singing that, to be honest I'd only been a regular for a season and was too young to understand the gravivy of the situation, had it been now then I wouldn't hesitate. The publicity that bought us helped save the club.
BOF said:
There was definately a couple of Walsall chants, I remember talking about it on the way home.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Went on the pitch from the north stand.

Felt absolutely sick doing it but it was something that had to be done as others have said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here