Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton vs York City

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Yep, was one of the first on from the North as was standing right at the front.

Saw a shirtless geezer run on from the West Stand and just went for it. Managed to overtake a York City player who was pegging it to get off the pitch.

Saw myself on Sky News, ITN and BBC.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I really think that if we could do something like that today and it would help then there would still be more than enough will out there to go through it all again.
But the truth is it would severely damage our cause if strong arm tactics were to used. As frustrating as it is we have to go through the proper channels and the only action we have open to us this time round is to try and embarass the people who are standing in our way for a new ground.
its still tempting though aint it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was there. I ran to the center circle and sat down, originally we just wanted to get the game called off and initially I was upset that the goals had been broken. However long before the end of the afternoon I realised that it had been a sad but very necessary act. If it had just been a peaceful protest it would have been forgotten about by the following Wednesday.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Brovian said:
I was there. I ran to the center circle and sat down, originally we just wanted to get the game called off and initially I was upset that the goals had been broken. However long before the end of the afternoon I realised that it had been a sad but very necessary act. If it had just been a peaceful protest it would have been forgotten about by the following Wednesday.

was that you I fell over then? I can distinctly remember falling over someone in the centre circle and having a disagreement with some chav who said he was a Chelseas fan who had come down for a ruck.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

It was one of those things that had to happen. There were rumours at the time that some of those scummy ****s from Combat 18 came down...anyone know anything about that?

The Sun reported that on the Monday after the game, they said there were 'fans' asking which way the ground was from Hove station ??? and they were possibly Combat 18 looking to cause trouble.

What a load of bollocks!!

D

Deleted User X18H

I sat in the North Stand Penalty area talking to an old work colleague then mooched off about 4ish went home Hove seafront in those days put on Grandstand and guess waht was live on BBC1 :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: then it was headlinenews at 6pm on the beeb cos of Euro 96 and what happebed in Dublin the previous February everyone was saying organised voilence when I got to work in the City on Monday my boss asked if I was involved in that shit told me I should be ashamed of myself if I was and to be careful..............he came to Fans United 9 months later and still keeps in touch and rang me after the Play off final shouting ' seagulls' drunkenly down the phone .........Spurs STH :D

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
From a different perspective. Living just outside of York, I was driving along when Minster FM mentioned that the game was called off due to hooliganism by Albion fans.

I nearly crashed, I was so livid. I drove home at break kneck speed and rang the news people at the radio station. I said that although sorry for the travelo of York City Fans, it was actually a protest on how the club was being run and that the club was in danger of being homeless and backrupt.

I was on that stations news later that day ( a Brighton fan, living in Wetherby has just called into say.....)

To be honest, I was proud of all you lot that went and demonstrated in that game.

Incidently, I met a young lad wearing an Albion top in Yorks Asda a few years back. Thinking he was an albion fan, I approached him. In fact he was a York fan that went that day with his dad. He got the top from an Albion fan. He was so proud that the Albion are his second team.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dave the Gaffer said:
was that you I fell over then? I can distinctly remember falling over someone in the centre circle and having a disagreement with some chav who said he was a Chelseas fan who had come down for a ruck.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
It might have been! Someone DID trip over me, but it all got very confused very quickly. Don't remember a Chelsea fan.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was there, usual spot in the North Stand. I think I just stood and watched, in the main, before ambling onto the pitch for a wander.

We were going to the cinema after that game, and eventually found ourselves in the car park at the marina. I just couldn't leave the car though, with the events at The Goldstone the only talking point on Radio 5 (as it still was back then). So we just sat and listened and, in the end, just headed back home to watch it all again on TV.

Seems a lifetime ago, thinking back.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I was there, I remember the atmosphere was most strange, I knew something was going to happen, wasn't quite ready for what did though.

I am pretty certain that the whole thing was organised with "suitable" persons recruited to make sure the goals came down. If I remember rightly, both goals came down at much the same time, so well organised reallly. As for C18, I don't think so, just some "heavies".

I was sightly suprised at a number of fans in the north stand when they started chanting "loyal supporters" and criticising the fans on the pitch, I think in those days you had to appreciate, something had to happen to make anyone take notice, and suggesting that the fans on the pitch were not loyal was pretty poor judgement IMO.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Trigger said:
I still have that t-shirt although I daren't wear it incase it falls apart, it's a t-shirt I don't want to throw away!

Also still have mine ...would never fit into it these days !!

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Brovian said:
If it had just been a peaceful protest it would have been forgotten about by the following Wednesday.

Sad but true. The pitch invasion against Lincoln which cost us the two point deduction in the Hereford season got a brief mention on Radio 5 the evening it happened and was never heard about again outside of Brighton cricles.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
North stand that day with a couple of mates - had a few prematch bevvies by hove station - ran on the pitch wandered round a bit aimlessly really - headedd back to Worthing on the train continued drinking ended up out my tree, burger in face on floor outside Uncle Jims Kebab shop - what a day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Superphil said:
... I was sightly suprised at a number of fans in the north stand when they started chanting "loyal supporters" and criticising the fans on the pitch, I think in those days you had to appreciate, something had to happen to make anyone take notice, and suggesting that the fans on the pitch were not loyal was pretty poor judgement IMO.
Yeah. I was berated a few days after the event by a guy I didn't really know but went to the same gym as me. He had recognised me and came up to me in the changing room and we had a row as told me that we'd 'ruined the good name of the club'.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
There were rumours at the time that some of those scummy ****s from Combat 18 came down...anyone know anything about that?
I heard at the time there were West Ham, Chelsea and Spurs down, and apparerntly they had a bit of an "off" on the train back to London.They could've been Combat 18, but who cares, they were there to ensure it went off and i heard at the time they were encouraged to come down by some of our more boisterous;) fans.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
brighton1.jpg

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Was with my other half in the East Terrace because she wouldn't go in the North. Remember walking up Goldstone Lane afterwards amongst York City Supporters. Some of the earlier mutual admiration, clapping and shaking hands between our fans and theirs had now turned to anger for some when they realised the game wasn't going to continue and "f***ing Aids infested wankers" and "Gay ****s" were a couple of the more choice comments from a section of those walking up the Lane. Long way to come for 15 mins of football.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here