Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton voted worst seaside resort.....

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Like all big towns and cities,Brighton has its good and bad parts.
Personally,I used to enjoy the place more when I was younger(I do not live in Brighton),although my sister who is about my age lives near Preston Park and loves it.
My wife enjoys shopping in Brighton but doesn't visit as much as she might because of the outrageous cost and aggro of parking.It isn't always convenient to take the train and have to carry bags with you all day.
I don't really regard it as a seaside resort and would no more holiday there than lie on a bed of razors.Like London,ok to visit for a day.
Have to agree with Edna re disappearing up own arses and personally,I can't stand the Greens and I am not surprised one bit that it was Brighton that got a Green Council;it just about sums the place up!
Like the football team though.

Those two things don't have anything to do with each other.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I was younger, I liked the idea of living there.

Now I've grown up a bit, I wouldn't remotely want to. Maybe the result of working there for a few years and seeing all the downside. I suppose it's fine to be proud of where you live, that's fair enough. But I do find a disproportionate number of Brightonians tend to get a little bit precious about their city, and that must come across as annoying or arrogant to outsiders.

Well, if you believe the Daily Mail's take on Brighton, maybe...

Oct 25, 2003
just checking for my 'brighton thread bingo' if we have the following:

-"cosmopolitan"
-likeness to barcelona
-"lefties"
-anything about the green party
-something about gays
-"in your face"
-"diverse"
-parking

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Pretentious!? I've always considered that tag to be a bit of a SLUR, and kind of assumed it was meant as such? To me its a suggestion that the town doesn't truly have its own character, and that it's no more than a seaside annex of London.

i have always liked the keith waterhouse quote best myself.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Well, if you believe the Daily Mail's take on Brighton, maybe...

what is it about the daily mail business all the time. its the most tedious of shorthand. like jasper carrotts sun reader jokes in the 80s. it wasnt funny or particularly incisive then, and this daily mail nonsense isnt now. its starting to reflect just as badly on the user as the target now.

i bet the daily mail sells more copies in brighton than the guardian. even in kemp town or queens park. maybe not hanover.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
You can't, as a general rule, blame Brightonians for that.

Shaz and Kaz with their black and pink 'Leatherhead Girls on the P**s' T-shirts, with the obligatory 'L' plate for the bride-to-be etc.

i know quite a few girls called shaz and kaz etc from brighton who would do stuff like that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
what is it about the daily mail business all the time. its the most tedious of shorthand. like jasper carrotts sun reader jokes in the 80s. it wasnt funny or particularly incisive then, and this daily mail nonsense isnt now. its starting to reflect just as badly on the user as the target now.

i bet the daily mail sells more copies in brighton than the guardian. even in kemp town or queens park. maybe not hanover.

Well, there is a Daily Mail thread about Brighton doing the rounds at present.

Oh hang on, it's this thread...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
All I was saying really is that there does seem to be a fair few residents who regard Brighton as some sort of paradise. Yes, it's not half bad, as seaside resorts (sorry) go, but the "London by the sea" tag always seems unbearably pretentious to me (unless we're talking parking prices).

The quality thing is, nobody would even have noticed or remembered this poll had the local council and the Argus not got all huffy about it. Some people think Brighton is crap. Big deal. Move on.

I'm another that has viewed the 'London by the sea' tag very much as a negative slur intended to focus on the congestion, fumes, anti-social behaviour and costly existence - especially useful for winding up the pretentious arty types.

I loved growing up and then spending a good part of my working life around Brighton in the 60's to the 90's where it was a really fab place to be young, so many brilliant memories. But eventually the novelty wore off and we opted for a more sedate place of life but still within 15 minutes of the City so we could dip in and out as often as we liked. Even so the appeal of Brighton slowly evaporated compounded by regular exposure to the darker side of life within a major city. Ironically many the things we tired of in Brighton followed us out into semi-rural Sussex too which was itself gradually morphing into just a sprawling greater-South East / London suburban madhouse. So after another 20 years we decided to exile ourselves from the South East altogether.

Now it's interesting to observe how Brighton is viewed from beyond Sussex - largely as a bohemian multicultural cliché. The pretentious arty types love that but for me it tries too hard to live up to the hype. I agree: San Francisco it isn't, ok it has some unique facets and I can think of many worse places to live - but its really only the Albion that can now generate any great love in me for the place any more.

... says the man for the paradise state of Portslade.

Anyway, I think you mean the Tories. The Greens have never put any cycle lanes in.

As for the poll - it's very silly and it doesn't exist. The more the Daily Mail hates Brighton, the better Brightonian should feel about the place.

Was the Lewes Road scheme planned and funded during the Green's time as the minority council? i.e now!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You can't, as a general rule, blame Brightonians for that.

Shaz and Kaz with their black and pink 'Leatherhead Girls on the P**s' T-shirts, with the obligatory 'L' plate for the bride-to-be etc.

I wasn't blaming anyone for it. Just pointing out that I agree with those who have voted in the poll.

It's the Sun in Hanover! :whistle:

No. The planning and application for funding to central government was put in while the Tories were the largest group on the council.

All parties locally backed it.

Cheers TLO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here