Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Walsall Match Ratings

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Agreed but the outcome was no different, it cost us a goal. (I'm being very critical I know..)

Very critical doesn't really cover it!! People get beaten at their near posts all the time. Dropping a routine catch is always entirely the keepers fault. Being beaten at your near post isn't.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes, because of course a scrappy win against the mighty Walsall means all of our players are legends and certain to win every game for the rest of the season. How dare I think they weren't all at their world-class best today.

childish indeed but then I forgot that I had dared to question the great FDM's ability to come out for crosses and thereby help his defence - clearly justification for being accused of over-praising the side and vaunting their "world class abilities" which of course I had not done any more than I had made any mention of how they might perform over the rest of the season

However, now you mention that it was a "scrappy win" I would just comment that, on a very testing surface, we actually passed the ball very well in the first half particularly and looked by far the better footballing side - considering they were at home and considerably higher than us in the table that is a commendable achievement in itself.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Personally I thought Michel did incredibly just to get his hand to it. You win some, you lose some I suppose.

Kuipers wasn't truly at fault. He got down well but didn't get "strong" hands to it. On another day he would have got away with it but the heaviness of the ball and a very uneven goalmouth meant it was definately spinning in before Painter hoofed it into the roof of the net (but then on another day with a bit more match practice he would have been a yard quicker and might have hooked it clear)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I thought the ball had crossed the line before Painter tried to clear it

Without wishing to single a player out on his debut I thought most of the fault for their goal was Calderon's. He dived in far too soon and softly allowing their man a free shot at goal. Having said this I think Kuipers might have done better and I think Painter could have cleared it off the line if he'd been a yard quicker - but these two are minor criticisms.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I was not at the game but to get three points up there with yet another new back four line up, was a great result.
What I would like to know from fans there at the game, does this back four look promising if kept together?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Just had a quick look on a walsall fans website and they all agreed that forster was our main threat and byfield could learn a thing or two from him etc. one guy also thought murray played quite well. 1st half bennett gave their full back a horrid time and defo pen in the 1st half.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
does this back four look promising if kept together?

Yes, Virgs looks slimmer and quicker than a couple of months ago. Elphick is not the player he was two seasons ago but can come back and the two full backs look calm and do the simple tasks well.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Just had a quick look on a walsall fans website and they all agreed that forster was our main threat and byfield could learn a thing or two from him etc. one guy also thought murray played quite well. 1st half bennett gave their full back a horrid time and defo pen in the 1st half.

I thought they should have had a pen too, though Byfield made a meal of it

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Virgo - 10.
Whingy - 8 - Didn't play, but still deserves an 8.
All that matters really isn't it? ???

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
How anyone can defend Kuipers for letting in a goal at his near post, the one he was pretty much standing on from a shot from 25 yards is beyond me.

It was shit keeping, lets not beat around the bush here. On a positive note it was the best performance this season and Virgo seems to be getting his form back.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
What's this obsession with the near post? If someone hits a rocket into the near side of the goal then it doesn't automatically mean the keeper is at fault. It was a powerful shot, but one that we really shouldn't have let them have in the first place. A single defensive blot on a rare good day.

A keeper should NEVER get beaten at his near post, thats one of the first things you learn in football, especially from 25 yards. That said it was a shot from Matt Richards who is an excellent player and has an excellent shot on him so maybe we should go easy on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here