Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Walsall Match Ratings

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
For those of us who either didn't go, or got screwed over by the ref and couldn't risk the journey, could anybody give some match ratings?

Safe journey back all :thumbsup:

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Good solid display, the defence looked a lot more organised with Calderon and Painter, lots of good football and passing the ball around to feet instead of hoofing it up the field, we could have scored a few more with some luck, the first half especially we played really well.

Kuipers - 6 didn't have much to do, hope his injury at the end was nothing serious
Painter - 7 looked very composed and lots of good passes out of defence
Elphick - 6 good game, looked very solid
Virgo - 7 again played well and I think it was him that saved the day in injury time clearing the ball when it looked like it would go over the line
Calderon - 6 bit shaky at the start but soon got into it, I liked the look of him though after a run the length of the pitch with the ball he seemed to struggle to get back though it was a fantastic run!
Bennett - 7 great first half with lots of mazy runs, seemed to go out of it a bit in the second half
Dicker - 7 good solid game with several telling passes through to Murray and Forster
Navarro - 6 pretty good game, a few misplaced passes but outweighed by his overall contribution in midfield
Crofts - 6 another good game for him
Forster - 6 good game, tired in the second half but always looked dangerous
Murray - 8 MOM looked dangerous throughout the match, several good chances, would have scored more with a bit of luck
Sub Dickinson for Forster 6 - not enough time to make much of a contribution and seemed to struggle with the difficult pitch

Good turnout of Albion fans considering the doubts over whether the match would even go ahead, pretty good atmosphere throughout the match. Best chant: Calderon, Calderon, drinking pints of sherry, Calderon... :clap2:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Kuipers - 6 - hope he's fit for next week, didn't have much to do.

Painter - 7 - solid enough, calm on the ball
Elphick - 6 - usual Elphick, not great, not bad.
Virgo - 7 - slight improvement
Calderon - 6 - flair! Good first impression. Great attacking asset, defensively fragile at times...

Bennett - 7 - faded in second half
Dicker - 7 - no nonsense midfielding
Navarro - 6 - OK, had a brilliant shouting match with Kuipers.
Crofts - 6 - Played fairly well.

Forster - 6 - good goal, tried hard.
Murray - 7 - was pretty good.

Dickinson 6 - struggled to make an impact.

The pitch - 0 - Kuipers said beforehand that the pitch was unplayable. Seemed to fall apart during the match, loads of sand dumped all over the place

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Kuipers - 5 beaten at near post for goal, can't think of a save he had to make
Painter - 7 good at defending and seemed to link well with Dicker
Elphick - 5 won a lot in the air, a bit wobbly on the ground, but didn't have a hard match.
Virgo - 7 seems to have rediscovered his Mojo. Fantastic injury time clearance earned us two points.
Calderon - 6 got to the byline more times in his first 45 minutes than El Abd and Whing have managed for last two and a half seasons
Bennett - 5 looked promising first half, but two misplaced passes around our own box nearly led to goals for Walsall. Peripheral in second half and needs to learn to take a corner that goes beyond the first defender
Dicker - 6 languid but classy, left midfield does not suit him
Navarro - 6 tidied up in front of back four and allowed Crofts to break forward
Crofts - 6 is growing into the captains role and was very busy throughout
Forster - 7 cracking goal, always looking to hassle defenders and has a good understanding with Murray
Murray - 8 won a lot in the air, well taken goal, but of course lazy, selfish and spent the whole game offside
Sub Dickinson for Forster 7 - looks very dangerous when running at defenders.

Overall I thought it was the best 90 minute performance I have seen this season. The two new boys brought experience and calmness to the defence, although Painter did try a few back passes to FDM which had us hiding behind the sofa. Lots of intricate play in midfield, a winger who was keen to run at defenders and some sublime interlinking front play.

The only downside was five minutes before half time when we seemed to have a collective breakdown and there were three terrible passes that could have cost us dear.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I thought we played very well, especially in the first half when we dominated and should have been out of sight by half time. The pitch was dreadful but as we won I am happy we played on it! We seemed to sit back in the second half and Walsall looked like they were going to equalise in the last minute (still not sure who kept it out). I wish we had kept up the first half tempo and finished Walsall off. I hope Kuipers is ok - he took a real hammering at the end. The two new players looked good, especially coming forward. I still have nightmares about our defence! Considering the state of the pitch we seemed to play a lot of good football. If we continue to pick up results and build in confidence Brighton will be a decent team to watch.

My man of match was probably Dicker - he is so important to us.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I have TCB on my ignore list but let me guess what he said, I BET he didn't mention the Kuipers cock up and I gauruntee he pointed out Crofts being shit even though everyone else says otherwise...

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Can anyone remind me of ANYTHING Crofts did in that game? I genuinely forgot he was playing at one point, until the ball fell to him and he gave it straight to a Walsall player. "Busy game" is just a piss take surely?

Michel 6 - not much to do.

Inigo 7 - flair man role looks to be heading his way, no obvious faults yet.
Elphick 6 - quite good by his lower than a snake's belly standards of this season.
Virgo 7 - also pretty good, great block at the end.
Painter 6 - very solid defensively, don't think he's got much going forward.

Bennett 5 - decent first half, anonymous second.
Crofts 3 - anonymous first half, anonymous second. Couldn't captain a girls team.
Navarro 3 - more involved than Crofts but, on the other hand, f***ed up a lot more things.
Dicker 4 - pretty tidy but didn't really contribute much either.

Murray 7 - good performance.
Forster 7 - no complaints here either.

I doubt very much we would have won if our midfield had performed as poorly as you claim.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I have TCB on my ignore list but let me guess what he said, I BET he didn't mention the Kuipers cock up and I gauruntee he pointed out Crofts being shit even though everyone else says otherwise...

Not having been to the game or heard the commentary, please could someone tell me about the Kuipers cock up.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Can anyone remind me of ANYTHING Crofts did in that game? I genuinely forgot he was playing at one point, until the ball fell to him and he gave it straight to a Walsall player. "Busy game" is just a piss take surely?

Michel 6 - not much to do.

Inigo 7 - flair man role looks to be heading his way, no obvious faults yet.
Elphick 6 - quite good by his lower than a snake's belly standards of this season.
Virgo 7 - also pretty good, great block at the end.
Painter 6 - very solid defensively, don't think he's got much going forward.

Bennett 5 - decent first half, anonymous second.
Crofts 3 - anonymous first half, anonymous second. Couldn't captain a girls team.
Navarro 3 - more involved than Crofts but, on the other hand, f***ed up a lot more things.
Dicker 4 - pretty tidy but didn't really contribute much either.

Murray 7 - good performance.
Forster 7 - no complaints here either.

why do you even go to a game?

Kuipers 6 - if he could move off his line he would be a good keeper but his failure to come for crosses is still at the heart of many of our defensive frailties - still a good shot stopper and organises the defense well vocally and, as he showed near the end, brave at feet.
Calderon 7 - very positive start - dived in just before their goal and left Richards free to score but got forward well throughout, crossed well, maintained energy throughout and excellent positional sense and impressively vocal. A potential legend in the making
Virgo 7 - can't fault that display. just needs reminding to keep tucked inside and not wander out to the wing to tackle (although when he did he timed it well)
Elphick 6 - solid display. good positioning and some good defensive headers of a heavy ball on a heavy pitch. still prefers to lump it when a pass might be available but may learn one day
Painter 6 - one misplaced pass but otherwise looked like he had always been there. Good positional sense and well disciplined. passes the ball well, makes others play and clearly thinks about what he is doing
Dicker 7 - more influential than sometimes recently and great energy to the end. some good positive passes covering defence and going forward
Navarro 7 - overall the best I have seen him play following on from where he left off against Torquay. Broke up play well and used the ball effectively most of the time with some very good passes and only one or two bad ones
Crofts 6 - when we crowd midfield one always seems to lose out and for me it was Crofts today. Tackled well but not as influential or as positive as he has been although not a bad display by any means and until we tired and the pitch broke up in the second half he played his part in helping us boss the midfield
Bennett 7 - great first half and on a terrible pitch is it any wonder he tired but he ran endlessly, tackled well, and had the beating of their full back all day. His corners to the back post from the left and from the right to the near post where they were flicked on by Virgo were clearly well planned and worked. As usual the short corner routines with Dicker didn't
Forster 7 - another great display and his understanding with Murray continues to pay dividends. Great strikers instinct for his goal and with luck could have had another
Murray 8 - someone behind me said he didn't know Murray could run that fast when he chased a ball out to the wing in the second half. Put himself about up front and supported the defense when needed, Could have had a goal in the first minute or so and took his one other chance very well. Would have been a real bonus if he had made better contact with his shot after a run across their defense in the second half
Dickinson 6 - one excellent pass and some good touches but not much time or opportunity to make an impact. Don't think I've ever seen someone leave the pitch so quickly as he did at the final whistle

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Not having been to the game or heard the commentary, please could someone tell me about the Kuipers cock up.

Got beaten at his near post, I forgive him of course but when Brez cocked up TCB called him shit ect so I was just pointing it out. :clap:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Got beaten at his near post, I forgive him of course but when Brez cocked up TCB called him shit ect so I was just pointing it out. :clap:

Getting beaten at your near post by a pretty well struck shot is VERY different to just dropping a routine catch.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair to FDM, it was a good run and shot by Richards, who looked twice the player today than when he was with us, and unrecognisable without any hair too!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
What the hell does that mean? I've just given 7 out of 11 players at least a 6/10. It's hardly a negative post, yet there is always one dickhead. Well done sir, tonight it is you.

but you have made negative and largely childish comments so no...tonight's dickhead award clearly remains, as so often before, with you. Congratulations on maintaining your usual high standards

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here