[Albion] Brighton to Stadium

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm going to buck the trend above, possibly.

If you drive into central Brighton, you've got parking to contend with (finding it and paying for it) and, additionally, it may take you longer to get back to Brighton and your car after the game than you'd like due to the post-game queue at Falmer Station.

If you're getting to Brighton early means, say 10-11am, I'd probably drive to Stanmer Park, close to the ground, park up there (free) and walk over to Falmer Station and catch the train into Brighton for your pre-game food and drink etc. Then catch the train back to Falmer for the match and then, after the game, you've got a short walk back to the car to get away - no waiting for the train required.
Thinking outside the box, l like it.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

If you drive into central Brighton, you've got parking to contend with (finding it and paying for it) and, additionally, it may take you longer to get back to Brighton and your car after the game than you'd like due to the post-game queue at Falmer Station.

If you're getting to Brighton early means, say 10-11am, I'd probably drive to Stanmer Park, close to the ground, park up there (free) and walk over to Falmer Station and catch the train into Brighton for your pre-game food and drink etc. Then catch the train back to Falmer for the match and then, after the game, you've got a short walk back to the car to get away - no waiting for the train required.
Bozza I was under the impression stammer park is now all pay and display is that not the case?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah it is - and extortionate ! Unless there’s a bit I don’t know about. Or is Wild Park still free ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just be wary of the pies in the ground as the pie gravy can be as hot as hot pie gravy.

I was horribly disfigured from an awful Balti accident three seasons ago.
It was like napalm … I couldn’t get it off my skin.
Slight over the top they are nowhere near a McDonalds Apple Pie hot. Hotter than the sun are those blighters.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Regarding prematch pubs that allow away fans in. The sublime ale heaven The Evening Star is about 2 minutes from Brighton Station and the Basketmakers is about 10 minutes. Both serve great beer. A lot of away (& Albion) supporters drink in Lewes which is the next stop beyond Falmer and the home of countless excellent pubs and 3 breweries (the legendary Harvey's and crafty Abyss and Beak). This map shows pubs that serve real ale https://brighton.camra.org.uk/locale

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Instead of Stanmer Park they could park in Falmer or in the Uni. Stewards only turn up at around 11am.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Stanmer Park isn't free! But is much cheaper than a day's parking in central Brighton

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Whatever you decide, wherever you park the car, just remember you will not be getting an easy train journey back to that point. Arriving early is a great idea and will be a cinch but be prepared to wait quite some time to get on that train back. The stadium remains open to all fans for quite some time so you’ll need to give it at LEAST an hour and probably more to avoid the madness or you can join the madness and queue with the rest of the crazy people! Enjoy your day 👍🏻

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On your way to Falmer from Brighton, when you come up to the Station, go to the very right as that's where the queuing system is (that is, don't go through the main front entrance as you won't be able to get to the relevant platforms. If you're staying in Brighton, then don't rush for the trains after the game, stop and have a beer on the concourse. The away fan concourse should be open but if you're not a knob, stroll into the West Lower and grab a drink there (I've heard they are reasonably friendly in that section although generally a little old as they can't manage the stairs to the Upper!!!).

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove

No free parking in Stanmer Park since May (I think) , unless they are doing something special on matchdays . All car park meters there no longer work and you have to pay by app or phone otherwise you will be ticketed. It's about £1.50 for 2 hours but longer stays get expensive

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Bozza I was under the impression stammer park is now all pay and display is that not the case?
It’s pay and display but a cheap one. I walk the dog there every weekend and pay for 2 hours which costs £1.50, so by comparison to anywhere near central Brighton it’s dirt cheap

Hatters Travel

Aug 5, 2023
HT. I drive down from north Bucks. Have you considered parking at Haywards Heath train station for the day (about £3) then your match tickets include free train travel from there down into Brighton station (about a 20 minute train journey) and free train journey to the stadium at Falmer, then post match you can get a free train from Falmer to Lewes, then Lewes to Haywards Heath (saves going back into Brighton post match). So the entire cost to you/family is just the £3 parking at HH train station. Free travel runs from 12 noon until 8pm, for a 3.00pm kick off. It’s what I often do. And to be certain, you need to be at Brighton station by about 1.45pm for the 7 minute journey to Falmer, to avoid the late crush and crowds.

This means you can get a good 90 minutes in one of the many pubs near Brighton station. Although if you have colours, you need to check in advance which pubs host visiting fans.
I'll be travelling down from Bucks so I'll look into this option, along with the others.

Thanks all. Appreciate all the advice. Here's to a good game.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
One more suggestion, based on where I used to live, right on the border of Brighton & Hove, close to the seafront. This is the Brighton tourist day out (good weather) alternative if you’re arriving first thing & enjoy a walk. You can currently get parking there on JustPark from 10am to 7pm for about a tenner in a private car park. The main town centre bus number 7, which takes about 5/10 mins to Brighton Station, stops over the road and runs very frequently. It’ll be free, like all the buses, with your match ticket - although you might struggle before 11/12 if the driver’s feeling awkward. B&H is not a huge place. If it’s a nice day, forget the bus and stroll down to the seafront, turn left and walk into Brighton. An earlier left turn on to Western Road takes you into town on the main shopping street. It’s about half an hour walking to the Brighton Centre (seafront) or Churchill Square (inland route) and 15/10 mins from those up to the station. if you’ve time to explore, you’re right by the Lanes/North Laine area at that point with all the little shops & general Brighton vibe and you can build that into the walk to the station. Google Maps would obviously be helpful! There are cafes/pubs galore all along the route. Getting to the station about 1.30 guarantees an easy trip on the train, with a pre-match hour or so at the ground. Post-match, we used to be home by about 6.30, having stayed for a pint before the train, then jumping on the 7 back to Hove from the station. Again, with GPS, it’s a relatively quick escape to the A23 from there as you arrive/depart via Hove and avoid the town centre traffic. If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll give you the postcode to try on JustPark.

If the forecast is crappy, I’d do it a different way.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
As has been said, Stanmer is not free, but its also not expensive, its less between £2:80-£6.10 for 4 hours. The cheaper parks are the ones closest to the stadium!
The largest car park is by the church, its the most expensive.

No idea how busy it gets though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here