Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station redevelopment plans.

Which option is best for Brighton Station?

• Option 1a

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Option 1b

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Option 2a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2b

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Option 3

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Knock down the bit between Queen's Road and Fredrick Place! All of it!

Sadly I was thinking much the same about Queens Road and Surrey St. - realistically without that extra space for bus and taxi stands being created, none of the options currently on offer make a shred of difference - they just shift the problems a few yards down the road.

It all smacks of moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic, or a typical planning 'fudge', whereby the overall and overriding objective gets lost in too much detail.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Queens Road isn't being more pedestrianised.

Don't the proposals show the top of Queens Road with a widened pavement and a narrower road with cycle/car/bus traffic becoming one way ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't the proposals show the top of Queens Road with a widened pavement and a narrower road with cycle/car/bus traffic becoming one way ?

If it is, not massively so.

There's the retention of two lanes, plus a cycle lane where the opposite lane is. In fact, at present that particular part of Queens Road is one-way. I can't see where extra accidents would occur over and above where they might at present.

I wouldn't call pavement half a car lane wider 'pedestrianised'.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sadly I was thinking much the same about Queens Road and Surrey St. - realistically without that extra space for bus and taxi stands being created, none of the options currently on offer make a shred of difference - they just shift the problems a few yards down the road.

It all smacks of moving the deckchairs around on the Titanic, or a typical planning 'fudge', whereby the overall and overriding objective gets lost in too much detail.

The trouble with that is you'd knock down the Evening Star, meaning all the real ale twats who frequent it would relocate to other pubs to bore people.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If it is, not massively so.

There's the retention of two lanes, plus a cycle lane where the opposite lane is. In fact, at present that particular part of Queens Road is one-way. I can't see where extra accidents would occur over and above where they might at present.

I wouldn't call pavement half a car lane wider 'pedestrianised'.

On the council website it mentions the pavement on both sides will be widened to 3 metres , walking up or down on the left hand side will be more riskier with cyclists riding on the pavement next to the cycle lane.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
The reason that the existing bus stands are so cramped is of course because the area of Surrey St., bus stands and Queens Road was only ever intended to act as a turning circle for the trams that ran up Queens Road to the station - it was never built to be large enough to handle modern (larger) buses and motor vehicles. Even creating it in the first place required some buildings to be demolished - originally the buildings ( nos. 71, 72 and 73 ) came up right to the edge of Trafalgar St. with the area under the Port Cochere being the principal roadway (before the Port Cochere was constructed). The location of the bus in the photo below shows where the original 1924/25 road opening was created. The area being demolished in the photo took place in 1935.

So in demolishing a few more buildings, we are simply carrying forward a scheme of road widening that was carried out at numerous other location in the city (London Road through Preston Village, Edward St., Lewes Road viaduct) during the 20th C.

People do get very precious these days when it comes down to demolishing things, but if you want to get REAL change it's really the only way to go about it.

Attachments

• jg_31_161.jpg
    jg_31_161.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
On the council website it mentions the pavement on both sides will be widened to 3 metres , walking up or down on the left hand side will be more riskier with cyclists riding on the pavement next to the cycle lane.

Only because the cycle lane will be full of bloody pedestrians if the other cycle lanes are anything to go by.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The reason that the existing bus stands are so cramped is of course because the area of Surrey St., bus stands and Queens Road was only ever intended to act as a turning circle for the trams that ran up Queens Road to the station - it was never built to be large enough to handle modern (larger) buses and motor vehicles. Even creating it in the first place required some buildings to be demolished - originally the buildings ( nos. 71, 72 and 73 ) came up right to the edge of Trafalgar St. with the area under the Port Cochere being the principal roadway (before the Port Cochere was constructed). The location of the bus in the photo below shows where the original 1924/25 road opening was created. The area being demolished in the photo took place in 1935.

So in demolishing a few more buildings, we are simply carrying forward a scheme of road widening that was carried out at numerous other location in the city (London Road through Preston Village, Edward St., Lewes Road viaduct) during the 20th C.

People do get very precious these days when it comes down to demolishing things, but if you want to get REAL change it's really the only way to go about it.

Very interesting post, thanks. I've been going through a lot of old pictures of Brighton and Hove recently and the whole history of our City is extremely interesting when you actually get into it.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Ride your bike? Walk? Maybe you won't be late every day if you did not drive! :lolol:

Haha, OK, touché.

Dunno, hadn't thought that one through.

Anyway, I thought you were somewhere further out than Preston Circus.

Yeah, I am - Westdene way.

This wasn't meant as an attack on the changes - I think they're good and long overdue. It was genuinely trying to work out how you get through the North Laine to Gardener St with the direction changes. I suppose the idea is that you can't, and you have to go Terminus Road and down North Road, or Grand Parade and up Church St.

And at 1am going home?

Walk? It's under a mile! I wish I had the same journey as you to get to work every day.

Edit: I didn't see your following posts as it seems you don't commute between Preston Circus and Gardener Street!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here