Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station redevelopment plans.

Which option is best for Brighton Station?

• Option 1a

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Option 1b

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Option 2a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2b

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Option 3

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Brighton Hove Bus and Coach Company

So, this is interesting. Being a bit of a Bus nerd I've been reading up on this and thought we really should be discussing this a bit more on here.

The following information will bore a lot of people.

The overall vision is that the Station Gateway should be:

•A fitting welcome to the city
•An efficient interchange
•A high quality public place
To achieve this, we established the following project objectives:

•Enhanced pedestrian and cycle facilities
•Good accessibility for less mobile people
•Better links to surrounding areas
•A well maintained environment that feels safe from physical danger and free from pollution
•An environment that supports businesses and that ‘says Brighton & Hove'
•Properly managed deliveries

Walking

Our research suggests that the majority of people moving around the station environment do so on foot. Your consultation feedback confirmed this. All our options prioritise improving the area directly outside the station, and the routes and road crossings between the station and the city for people travelling on foot. Despite being the main users of the area around the station, pedestrians currently have very poor facilities. We feel it is critical that this situation is redressed.

Buses

Having looked carefully at available space, we do not feel there is enough room to concentrate all buses in the ‘bus station' directly outside the station without too great an impact on services. Therefore, most of our options spread services across Queens Road and the current ‘bus station'. We've also included an option that keeps all buses in the same area, to enhance legibility - a benefit a number of you raised through the consultation.

Taxis

A small majority of you felt that the taxi rank should be moved to the north of the station. The next most popular option was to split the ranks between the north and the south. The constant message was that irrespective of its final location, the taxi rank needed to be properly managed in future.

We recognise that moving taxis from their current location would allow better facilities for all other users, especially pedestrians, directly outside the southern station entrance. However, we also feel there is a strong case for keeping the main taxi rank at the south of the station, as this is where most visitors will expect to find it, and where taxis are closest to the main tourist destinations. We feel a second rank could be provided at the north of the station when the area is re-developed.

For this reason, all our options keep taxis at the south of the station (although they could work with the taxi rank at the north). However, as well as keeping taxis in their current location, we have suggested two new options - moving taxis into the current ‘bus station' area, and possibly, if we can create a new eastern entrance, Frederick Place.

Brighton and Hove Buses favour Option 1.
Option 1a
web

Some advantages
•No significant change to existing bus stopping and circulation
•Simplified junction arrangements would reduce delays for all users
•The pavement at the north west corner of Queens Road would be widened
•One-way traffic flow in Surrey Street retains prospect of widening footways there in due course

Some disadvantages
•Limited opportunity to widen (Queens Road) footways to ease overcrowding
•Limited opportunities to improve overall gateway experience

Option 1b
web

Some advantages
•New, direct pedestrian link between the station and the North Laine
•Moving taxi rank allows creation of a wider, pedestrianised station forecourt
•One-way traffic flow in Surrey Street retains prospect of widening footways there in due course

Some disadvantages
•Limited opportunity to widen Queens Rd footways to ease overcrowding
•Moving taxi rank would introduce longer journeys for some and reduce ‘visibility' of taxi services
•Increased scheme cost (to create the eastern entrance)

They don't like these.
Option 2a
web

Some Advantages
•Footways could be widened considerably in Queens Road and along the route into and out of the station.
•Arrangements for buses would be similar to those at present, the main change being that the 22 and 37 services would now stop in Queens Road, rather than directly outside the station.
•Junctions and crossings would be much simpler, significantly reducing delays for all users.
•One-way working in Surrey Street retains prospect of widening footways there in due course
•Bicycles would be allowed to cycle contra-flow northbound on Queens Road.
•Fewer buses in Queens Road improves gateway environment

Some disadvantages
•More buses will stop further away from the station entrance
•Bus stops outside the Railway Bell/ Grand Central currently have a negative impact on the local environment
•Slightly longer journeys for some taxi trips
•Current traffic volumes have a negative impact on residents in Surrey Street which would need to be addressed, possibly by restricting non local traffic.
•Some bus routes may be affected, possibly reducing the number that can stop near the station

Option 2b
web

Some advantages
•Fewer taxis in Queens Road would ease bus congestion
•The pedestrian route between the station forecourt/platforms and Queens Road would essentially be vehicle-free (strictly essential vehicle access only to the station).
•Bicycles would be allowed to cycle contra-flow northbound on Queens Road.
•Junctions and crossings would be much simpler, significantly reducing delays for all users.
•Arrangements for buses would be similar to those at present, the main change being that the 22 and 37 services would now stop in Queens Road, rather than directly outside the station.
•Footways could be widened considerably in Queens Road and along the route into and out of the station.
•One-way working in Surrey Street retains prospect of widening footways there in due course
•Fewer buses in Queens Road improves gateway environment

Some disadvantages
•Moving taxi rank would introduce longer journeys for some and reduce ‘visibility' of taxi services
•Some bus routes may be affected, possibly reducing the number that can stop near the station
•More buses will stop further away from the station entrance
•Bus stops outside the Railway Bell/ Grand Central currently have a negative impact on local environment
•Current traffic volumes have a negative impact on residents in Surrey Street which would need to be addressed, possibly by restricting non local traffic.
Option 3
web

Some advantages

•The pedestrian route between the station forecourt/platforms and Queens Road would essentially be vehicle-free (strictly essential vehicle access only to the station). This would create of a much better pedestrian experience from/to the station concourse, including for those walking to/ from buses
•All buses - northbound or southbound - would now stop in broadly the same location making it simpler to find your bus, especially for visitors & occasional or new local users.
•No general traffic in Queens Road, easing congestion affecting buses and taxis.

Some disadvantages
•More traffic in Surrey Street
•Footways on most of Queens Road would remain as narrow as at present, and would be further restricted by additional bus stops.
•Footway crowding in Queens Road likely to be made worse by more people waiting for buses
•Bus stops would on average be further away from the station.
•Taxis likely to overflow from new rank into Surrey Street/Terminus Road at peak times
•Arrangements for bus routing and stopping would be substantially changed, with some bus terminating/standing facilities needing to be relocated away from the station area.

So which do we think is best? More information is located here

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Option 3 which moves the taxis out into the current bus area and moves the buses down Queens Rd. This makes the most sense to me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
They all look the same to me

I had another version of my original post, which included the blurb about each diagram. I think, environmentally, option 3 is the most viable. There are too many buses going to the station at the moment and the whole area is a complete mess. I agree something needs to be done, and removing the taxi rank would be a good idea in my opinion, it is staggeringly unattractive. I have voted for Option 1b, like [MENTION=23454]HawkTheSeagull[/MENTION], because I think there needs to be a reduction in the buses that go the station but I don't think the whole area needs to be completely reworked.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Seems sensible to me to have the taxis queuing up Frederick Place seeing as the street fulfils little purpose otherwise. Therefore I'd go with 1b, which still keeps the bus station

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Option 3 for me. More room for people using the station and gets rid of the current taxi mess. Not far to the buses but couldn't really give a toss what they think. Not sure why a presumably publicly-funded scheme has to pander to a private, profit-making company. That approach has already seen the city's roads messed up with a succession of bus lanes that really should operate in the rush hour only.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Be honest, how many people knew this was happening?

I think utilising Frederick Place is a very good option, though will it work in reality?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Option 1b

Some advantages
•Moving taxi rank allows creation of a wider, pedestrianised station forecourt

Some disadvantages
•Limited opportunity to widen Queens Rd footways to ease overcrowding

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Firstly i am really encouraged that this is being looked at because in its current form it is a disaster. I hate the dominance the taxis have on the front and thus peoples first impression of our city. The pedestrian is narrowed onto two small crossings with buses coming from the right, two-way taxi traffic on the left then two-way traffic ahead.

Without the blurb on the options being suggested i have to say that option 3 is my favourit. It provides far more space to the pedestrian and looks more inviting and welcoming my only concern is overhead cover for those waiting for the buses. Would it not be confusing for those new to the city if the bus stops were split (1a and 1b)?

2a and 2b are just silly.

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
After lots of back and forthing - I was more a history than a Geog girl and it showed when I tried to work it all out! I would go for option 3 as pp have said - more pleasing for visitors and more room. Seems to be more straightforward for everyone. About time by the way :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Option 3

Some advantages
•The pedestrian route between the station forecourt/platforms and Queens Road would essentially be vehicle-free (strictly essential vehicle access only to the station). This would create of a much better pedestrian experience from/to the station concourse, including for those walking to/ from buses
•All buses - northbound or southbound - would now stop in broadly the same location making it simpler to find your bus, especially for visitors & occasional or new local users.
•No general traffic in Queens Road, easing congestion affecting buses and taxis.

Some disadvantages
•More traffic in Surrey Street
•Footways on most of Queens Road would remain as narrow as at present, and would be further restricted by additional bus stops.
•Footway crowding in Queens Road likely to be made worse by more people waiting for buses
•Bus stops would on average be further away from the station.
•Taxis likely to overflow from new rank into Surrey Street/Terminus Road at peak times
•Arrangements for bus routing and stopping would be substantially changed, with some bus terminating/standing facilities needing to be relocated away from the station area.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
CPO of all properties in Queens Road and Frederick Place and turn it in to something pleasant - A plaza with a huge fountain in the middle. Send the bloody taxis round the back. Turn Surrey Street in to a two way passage for buses. So we don't need Roger French's monstrosities cluttering up the gateway to our city.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
CPO of all properties in Queens Road and Frederick Place and turn it in to something pleasant - A plaza with a huge fountain in the middle. Send the bloody taxis round the back. Turn Surrey Street in to a two way passage for buses. So we don't need Roger French's monstrosities cluttering up the gateway to our city.

If we could flatten Brighton and start again, I would want you heavily involved in that project, BoF.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Option 1b for me I think. 1a and 2a are my least favoured as they keep the conflict between pedestrians and the current taxi rank.

My concern with option 3 is that when more taxis want to use the rank than spaces available they will queue in Surrey street and cause congestion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have amended the original post to include the advtanges and disadvantages. It makes it very difficult to read, and very long, but I think it's kind of important!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Looks like being a straight fight between 1b and 3.

Roger French, when you read this, you're welcome. :thumbsup:

1A looks just like it is now with some piddly bits of landscaping. Save the cash and just put in a few bins.
Open the pedestrian entry from below Trafalgar St, ruined after a bomb scare during a Tory conference I believe?
I think all decisions are tough- taking a cab from the North sticks a couple of quid on any journey towards the seafront. But the bus access really needs to be improved rather than reduced in order to produce decent integrated transport links.
How about a covered travelator from West St to the station? (Covered in sick every weekend).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here