Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Station redevelopment plans.

Which option is best for Brighton Station?

• Option 1a

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Option 1b

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • Option 2a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 2b

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Option 3

Votes: 15 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
More pedestrianisation in Queens Road alongside a busy bus interchange is going to lead to more accidents.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good choice by the council.
Gets the taxis out of the way, wider pavements, shortcut to the Nelson/North laine area, new ticket offices/tourist center, far better impression of the city for people arriving and better cycling routes/racks. not sure you can get much more.

Agree. They have got this right.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm not convinced the problem of the buses and sherberts getting in each others way has been fully solved.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Queens Road isn't being more pedestrianised.

My mistake - I took the different colour on the graphic of that part of the road between station and Queens Head as meaning it was being made a bit like New Road is (i.e. still a road but looks like its pedestrianised).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
i cant figure out from the original options the council has decided. Any help?

Mostly 1b. I posted the diagrams earlier in the thread.

Technically, they haven't decided - it goes to vote next week. And reading the officers' report, it looks like there will be further consultations on other matters - mostly to do with traffic flow through the North Laine I think. I'll have another look tomorrow.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My mistake - I took the different colour on the graphic of that part of the road between station and Queens Head as meaning it was being made a bit like New Road is (i.e. still a road but looks like its pedestrianised).

They might tart it up a bit.

The officers' report says the bus aspect of the plans remains largely unchanged.

In fact, making it look like New Road wouldn't be a bad thing (though pretty expensive).

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
No. It's taxis only coming up Trafalgar Street under the tunnel.

They can only get access to this because Frederick Place traffic flow will be reversed, with access coming from a reversed junction at the top of Gloucester Road.

View attachment 34842

For the life of me, I can't work out how I drive to work now (Preston circus to Gardener St).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One of the reasons for the delays was to allow the Ibis Hotel (where Sgt Yorke's was) to be built, which is what's happening now.

An Ibis? Great. Some shoddy architecture will really make the gateway to Brighton attractive won't it.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
They've been building the Ibis for a good year now. Dealing with the falling down backside of Queens Road (ie Fred Place/Terrace) so needed doing anyway. Happy in a way that we got turfed out of that street (my office for the past three years) a few months ago and I honestly think it will be a huge improvement. The station frontage has been a logjam of angry cabbies and angry bus drivers for far too long now, imho.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How terrible for you. If your journey is long drawn out, dreary and nonsensical you'll finally know how people feel when they listen to your 'comedy'.

:lol:

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
None of those look like solutions, merely alterations which move problems and probably crate more due to the change itself.

Presumably the motivations for this are to make the city a better entry point and easier to use (that may have been written somewhere already) the key is to remove all private traffic leaving only taxis and buses over a more pedestrian area.

there is not enough room for that many taxis and that many buses and that many pedestrians. So one has to move and it can't be the ppl.

U don't want ppl having to plod thru the station in the middle of the night for a cab but there is no room for that many buses at the back of the station or for them to get back on track. So u leave them at the front where is no room for them.

However...

with a far more open pedestrian space in front of and to the right (former cab rank) could leave room for more 24hr commercial services internally, making a cab rank at the back far more accessible.

And+Or

As with other stations that grow out, the buses have to move out, it's inevitable. so allowing them to take over Queens road (between the station and north road) could free up the needed space at the front.
Using Surry street as buses only & for more stops seems logical, if feasable for other vehicle access, then making Queens road parallel one way to make more space makes sense

Frederic place is a pony little road then so is most of Trafalgar street, The less cars in the whole of the North Laine the better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here