[News] Brighton & Hove Children walk out in Solidarity for Peace, or half a day skiving.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Exactly. Whilst it's great that young people are taking an interest in the world I think there should also be a walk-out in protest at anti-Semitism (which runs through British society like a geological fault) and to protest at the Hamas atrocities of October 7th.
A ‘protest’ usually involves an ongoing issue that people want to campaign against - not an event that happened previously. I don’t think kids should be protesting against anti-semitism either, they should be taught all forms of discrimination is wrong. I agree it is ‘great’ that school kids have an interest in the world - not that Friday for Future has done much to convince governments of the climate emergency - but it was heartwarming to see young people caring so much.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A ‘protest’ usually involves an ongoing issue that people want to campaign against - not an event that happened previously. I don’t think kids should be protesting against anti-semitism either, they should be taught all forms of discrimination is wrong.
I disagree. Whilst most agree all forms of discrimination things we campaign for are different, and often have a personal angle; it’s fine to choose a particular campaign in the same way we choose specific charities to donate to.

I also believe strongly in self-expression. Having kids campaigning is fine with me, they might not always get it right, but it starts a dialogue and a learning process in their heads…..which is surely the bedrock of education ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A ‘protest’ usually involves an ongoing issue that people want to campaign against - not an event that happened previously. I don’t think kids should be protesting against anti-semitism either, they should be taught all forms of discrimination is wrong. I agree it is ‘great’ that school kids have an interest in the world - not that Friday for Future has done much to convince governments of the climate emergency - but it was heartwarming to see young people caring so much.
I agree with you actually, I was more supporting @Guinness Boy's concept of 'not picking sides'.

And yeah, like all protests (and I've been on loads in my time) it will achieve f*** all except give the kids a half-day off.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Exactly. Whilst it's great that young people are taking an interest in the world I think there should also be a walk-out ... to protest at the Hamas atrocities of October 7th.

Who would they be 'protesting' against?

The sickening violence on one side of this war has been carried out by sick, barbaric terrorists. There's little point in anyone waving banners reading "Stop committing terrorist atrocities against innocent Israeli kids", because a. there's no point, as everyone presumably already accepts that viewpoint, and b. who is the target audience of your protest?

The violence / punishment on the other side is being dished out by a sovereign state, with the unwavering support of our own government. To protest against that seems entirely legitimate, and worthwhile.

IMO like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you read my first post - the issue for me is that kids need to be free of undue influence by adults with a personal agenda. This thread is questioning whether all kids are protesting because they have arrived at a conscionable decision to support a particular cause or they just want to skive off school…that alone raises concerns of undue influence (either by peers or adults) or susceptibility to ‘fashion trends’ as someone described above.

I’m assuming as adults, people are more equipped to make that assessment for themselves regarding the motives of their own actions.

I agree with everyone on this thread that it is good for kids to protest but at school age, there are risks in making protest divisive and partisan and that campaigning shouldn’t be done as an excuse for truancy.
I did read your first post; I wasn’t responding to that one. I was replying to your latter point.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
To enroll in an English grammar class?
Uncalled for.

On the subject matter, I'm sure to some kids it may be a bit of a jolly, but there is also part of me that says 'out of the mouths of babies'

It's interesting how some would say that they don't understand the complexities of the situation, but if adults do understand it, which for the most part they don't, they sure as hell are not making a very good job of dealing with it.

I'm disturbed to read @Guinness Boy post on the security issue. Whether that is an over-reaction or not I don't know. But even if it was I can completely understand it. I think I would feel the same.

At my own school there was a mass walk out when a teacher was given notice that were going to be laid off. A proud moment. It is good that kids question stuff. And condescending arrogance when they are put down for it.

In this case it's a bit more complex.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Who would they be 'protesting' against?

The sickening violence on one side of this war has been carried out by sick, barbaric terrorists. There's little point in anyone waving banners reading "Stop committing terrorist atrocities against innocent Israeli kids", because a. there's no point, as everyone presumably already accepts that viewpoint, and b. who is the target audience of your protest?

The violence / punishment on the other side is being dished out by a sovereign state, with the unwavering support of our own government. To protest against that seems entirely legitimate, and worthwhile.

IMO like.
As for @Zeberdi's post I agree (and I refer you to my answer). There are no winners here, only losers. My sympathies have always been with the Palestinians, but it's not a case of Goodies v Baddies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Kids take opportunity to bunk off the day.

Film at 11.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Delighted to see this.

While they are there, perhaps they could discuss what they propose to do about an Iranian back Hezbolah and Hamas who are intent on destroying Israel and all Jews.

Or perhaps they can learn more about the centuries of antisemitism and pogroms that have driven Jewish people to try to establish a Jewish state.

Maybe they could question why the UN approved of a Jewish state in 1948 leading to the problems we now see today.

Maybe they could ask why the poster is in black, green and red and how it fails to reflect the blue and white of the Israeli flag.

And perhaps all the girls on the March might pause to wonder what an Islamic fundamentalist organisation like Hamas might want for their peers in a Shia-led Palestine? This is not Fatah they are supporting. There’s a lot of Muslims in the world who’ll be as aghast at Iran/Hamas/Hezbolah as they are at innocent Palestinians losing their lives.

In short, perhaps they’ll pause to stop taking a polar view of this and ask deep questions about what a ‘Free Palestine’ is, what it really means for everyone in the region, and how we all played a role in exporting our antisemitism to Israel and Palestine and now miraculously expect everything to be solved.

I want a truce so that we can get innocent people out and aid in. I also want Hamas to surrender so that Palestinians can hold the elections they’ve been denied for something like 14 years.

The way forward has to be some form of power sharing and self determination. It’s also the rebuilding of predominately Arab Palestinian areas/cities, plus health, education and jobs. I’m not entirely sure what it is, but I know that it’s very very complex.

I was at a gig last week where the young lead singer grabbed the mic and shouted ‘Free Palestine’ to the crowd. I wondered how Jewish people in the audience felt (both those on the left and right), and if the young lad had any idea what he meant by shouting it.

I know these kids want peace. Perhaps that is what they should be marching for.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Delighted to see this.

While they are there, perhaps they could discuss what they propose to do about an Iranian back Hezbolah and Hamas who are intent on destroying Israel and all Jews.

Or perhaps they can learn more about the centuries of antisemitism and pogroms that have driven Jewish people to try to establish a Jewish state.

Maybe they could question why the UN approved of a Jewish state in 1948 leading to the problems we now see today.

Maybe they could ask why the poster is in black, green and red and how it fails to reflect the blue and white of the Israeli flag.

And perhaps all the girls on the March might pause to wonder what an Islamic fundamentalist organisation like Hamas might want for their peers in a Shia-led Palestine? This is not Fatah they are supporting. There’s a lot of Muslims in the world who’ll be as aghast at Iran/Hamas/Hezbolah as they are at innocent Palestinians losing their lives.

In short, perhaps they’ll pause to stop taking a polar view of this and ask deep questions about what a ‘Free Palestine’ is, what it really means for everyone in the region, and how we all played a role in exporting our antisemitism to Israel and Palestine and now miraculously expect everything to be solved.

I want a truce so that we can get innocent people out and aid in. I also want Hamas to surrender so that Palestinians can hold the elections they’ve been denied for something like 14 years.

The way forward has to be some form of power sharing and self determination. It’s also the rebuilding of predominately Arab Palestinian areas/cities, plus health, education and jobs. I’m not entirely sure what it is, but I know that it’s very very complex.

I was at a gig last week where the young lead singer grabbed the mic and shouted ‘Free Palestine’ to the crowd. I wondered how Jewish people in the audience felt (both those on the left and right), and if the young lad had any idea what he meant by shouting it.

I know these kids want peace. Perhaps that is what they should be marching for.
totally agree, and I have just spoken with my daughter who is leaving there now and told her as I often do, to listen to both sides as war has victims on both sides and sadly ultimately marches do not stop wars, only when one side has satisfied it's need/goal do wars usually stop. People/organisations will twist the truth to suit an agenda, I mentioned the green and red on the flyer and I thought that could be construed as just being about Palestine, when people from Israel were slaughtered in the homes and at a concert just because of their religion . She got it, I told her I wont be telling her off, and commend her as she sounded enthused by her first political/ justice/ peace march, and told her she must be open minded all the time, and accept any punishment thrown at her by school, it was her choice to leave and take part.

Far cry from my days at school and what followed after for a short period, until I wised up, so proud she is nothing like me at that age

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
totally agree, and I have just spoken with my daughter who is leaving there now and told her as I often do, to listen to both sides as war has victims on both sides and sadly ultimately marches do not stop wars, only when one side has satisfied it's need/goal do wars usually stop. People/organisations will twist the truth to suit an agenda, I mentioned the green and red on the flyer and I thought that could be construed as just being about Palestine, when people from Israel were slaughtered in the homes and at a concert just because of their religion . She got it, I told her I wont be telling her off, and commend her as she sounded enthused by her first political/ justice/ peace march, and told her she must be open minded all the time, and accept any punishment thrown at her by school, it was her choice to leave and take part.

Far cry from my days at school and what followed after for a short period, until I wised up, so proud she is nothing like me at that age
And she’s thinking

“Yes! Got away with that”

🤣🤣

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Fair play to them. Good to see the next generation thinking about and engaging in protest.
Yea right!

Cuckoo land! Most of them wouldn´t know where Gaza or Israel are on a map!
PM off school is the correct answer for 90%.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Meanwhile my daughter's Jewish friend is no longer allowed home alone at 13 because of fears for their safety and Synagogues are hiring extra security for Bar Mitzvahs.

How about a school strike for a lasting peace on both sides instead of picking a team?
The sooner we get away from this being a Jewish thing instead of being an Israel thing the better.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And she’s thinking

“Yes! Got away with that”

🤣🤣
Yeah possibly, her mum though, is not amused.

I think when she walks through the door shortly those words so often thrown around by her will be uttered "NO ELECTRONICS FOR A WEEK"
by the time I get home though, little Psycho will be in her room on her phone and mum will tell me she is really sorry and learnt her lesson.

rinse and repeat.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Spot on , If they want peace they need to reflect the views of both sides.

Meanwhile my daughter's Jewish friend is no longer allowed home alone at 13 because of fears for their safety and Synagogues are hiring extra security for Bar Mitzvahs.

How about a school strike for a lasting peace on both sides instead of picking a team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports