Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's all about Solly, Pascal and Lewis for me.
Love the others, but those three have contributed so much.
Agreed. They all have. I just think Gross, from the very beginning, demonstrated the quality everyone required to prosper at this level. Perfect positioning, always on the move, intelligent passes and almost always gets his shots on target. Thank goodness he's as slow as a milk float, otherwise we'd never have been lucky enough to watch him for so long.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can't be arsed to read the whole thread but man alive was I relieved with that VAR offside decision. Last season they came from behind to draw 2-2 with us didn't they?

JWP and TW had a purple patch but with the second ruled out, they lost it.

Now the dust has settled, what a great game - it had everything really.

Praise the lord for Pascal.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Post game it was quite strange with some people being allowed back to their seat with an alcoholic drink and others being refused, which stewards were right?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed. They all have. I just think Gross, from the very beginning, demonstrated the quality everyone required to prosper at this level. Perfect positioning, always on the move, intelligent passes and almost always gets his shots on target. Thank goodness he's as slow as a milk float, otherwise we'd never have been lucky enough to watch him for so long.

You'd have thought scousers would be able to catch a milk float.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I dont understand why, when winning 2-0 and cruising you put Buonanotte on, unless Enciso injured.....

I'm sure theres a good future player in there, but EVERY time he is on, we look like we have 10 men and fall apart.
I really couldn't understand that substitution either. Enciso always looks dangerous, Buona not quite at the right level yet.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I can't be arsed to read the whole thread but man alive was I relieved with that VAR offside decision. Last season they came from behind to draw 2-2 with us didn't they?

JWP and TW had a purple patch but with the second ruled out, they lost it.

Now the dust has settled, what a great game - it had everything really.

Praise the lord for Pascal.
Yep - the var call changed the game in our favour again. Thank god for VAR in this instance (although still seems a bullshit decision judging from highlights - christ we deserve a bit of VAR luck though)

Was so gutted when the goal went in - wasn't expecting it to be VARd offside at all! Gave everyone a big boost again I think after a very nervy spell - on and off the pitch

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I really couldn't understand that substitution either. Enciso always looks dangerous, Buona not quite at the right level yet.
Really? I had the opposite thought. Enciso really struggled in the first half. Wasn't surprised he cane off and De Zerbi was really annoyed with him. Thought Goodnight looked better and better as the game went on.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
134297-39f6512e6e3b71ea26a0c094f44221c2.jpg
134316-9627a61f77fafca8e9b75411f582161b.jpg

Albion v Southampton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue:
The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Sunday 21st May 2023
Kick-off: 14:00 BST
Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies
Fourth Official: John Busby
VAR: Simon Hooper
Additional VAR: Adrian Holmes

TEAM NEWS

Brighton centre-back Levi Colwill will return after missing the midweek defeat by Newcastle due to fatigue.

Joel Veltman could be selected after four games out with a thigh issue, while Robert Sanchez is likely to remain absent from the squad.

Southampton defender Tino Livramento is available after 13 months out with a serious knee injury.

Che Adams, Armel Bella-Kotchap, Juan Larios, Romain Perraud and Mohamed Salisu will miss the last two games.

Manager Ruben Selles could hand Premier League debuts to a number of academy prospects, including teenage trio Samuel Amo-Ameyaw, Dominic Ballard and Kami Doyle.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton are unbeaten in four league games against Southampton, winning two and drawing two.
  • However, the home side has yet to win in 11 Premier League meetings; it's the most played fixture in the division without a home victory.
  • Albion are vying to complete a league double over the Saints for just the second time, having done so in 1955-56 in the third tier.
Albion
  • Brighton's eight-match unbeaten home run in all competitions was emphatically ended by a 5-1 loss to Everton in their last outing at the Amex Stadium.
  • The Seagulls have only won four of their 18 Premier League home matches against sides in the relegation zone, drawing 10 and losing four.
  • Brighton have conceded nine goals in their past three top-flight fixtures.
  • Pascal Gross is one short of equalling Neal Maupay and Glenn Murray as Brighton's 26-goal all-time leading Premier League scorer.
  • Alexis Mac Allister has scored seven goals in his last 12 Premier League starts at home.
Southampton
  • Southampton's relegation was confirmed last weekend after a home loss to Fulham, their club record 24th league defeat of the season.
  • The Saints are winless in 11 Premier League games, drawing three and losing eight, including the last four in a row.
  • Ruben Selles' side have conceded three or more goals in each of their past three away matches.
  • James Ward-Prowse is one shy of David Beckham's Premier League record of 18 goals from direct free-kicks. The Southampton captain scored a free-kick at the Amex last season.

Roberto De Zerbi's Southampton Press Conference

I'm guessing you're euro virgin, when it comes to Albion matchday threads.
You'd better start brushing up on your lingers:lolol:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Commentator saying towards the end that he thought we were a top 4 club this season and deserved/belonged in the Champions League. Pointed out the erroneous VAR decisions, injuries and match congestion as the reasons for us dropping the necessary points. Nice to hear!

I agree.

If you think about the Spurs game (3 points), the incorrectly disallowed goal v Palace (2 points) the blatant penalties not given v Villa (1 point) and Leicester (2 points). Another strong penalty appeal in the final min of the Brentford game (2 points)... and others (dubious Toney pen at Brenfford...).

You can't say for sure how those games would have turned out, or if we would have scored those penalties, but even so those decisions must have cost us at least 6-8 points, and probably more.

Can't think of us getting too many similar calls in our favour.

And then, of course, you can also think about the games we dominated but somehow didn't win - Fulham, Forest, Newcastle and Villa at home. I guess most clubs have a few of those, though. The fixture congestion at the end certainly hasn't helped us either.

So fantastic as today is, part of me is slightly disappointed we won't get Champions League. That would've been absolutely ******** astonishing. And I think we would have deserved it.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Did anyone else notice the moment in the second half were Ferguson took a sip of the Southampton physio's drink as the physio was treating one of their players close to the north stand? One of the Southampton players then gave him a load of verble and Ferguson ignored it and spat down next to him, before Ward-Prowse got involved.

It was such an odd exhange. Are our players told to sip from the opponents drinks to wind them up? Mitoma seems to do it quite a lot also.

My other important observation of the day is the <10 year old kid of one of the players (Dunk?) smashing a (maybe not regulation) penalty into the top right of the goal. Superb hit, sign him up!
Saw that. Think it was a Webster!

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Wonderful stuff. Seemed fitting for Gross to get the goal that sealed it. Well done everyone.
Absolutely agree. Scored our first PL goal, scored the goal V Man Utd that meant we survived the first season, scored a goal V Newcastle which meant we would stay up in season 2. One of the best signings of the PL era - not that anyone would think of that outside of this forum.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Absolutely agree. Scored our first PL goal, scored the goal V Man Utd that meant we survived the first season, scored a goal V Newcastle which meant we would stay up in season 2. One of the best signings of the PL era - not that anyone would think of that outside of this forum.
I think he might be joint top scorer for us in PL......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here