Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield Wednesday *** Official Match Thread ***

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Radio Sussex via computer normally does not broadcast league match coverage outside of the County. Is this the same for FA cup matches?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Radio Sussex via computer normally does not broadcast league match coverage outside of the County. Is this the same for FA cup matches?

We're playing the biggest club in the world, it'll be broadcast across the globe.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Not too bothered about this match - see it as a missive of intent for some of our fringe players.

I see it as important. For a club like us the only chance of gĺory is a cup competition. Given our current squad and recent results ,, why not dream of winning it? I'd love to see Lewis Dunk lifting the F A Cup and the team parading round Wembley.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No reason not to play the strongest team - we've got a full week to recover for the trip to Everton. Expect changes will be made though - just hope Potter puts out a team that can - and will - beat Wednesday. I want to progress in the cup - it still means a lot to some of us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No reason not to play the strongest team - we've got a full week to recover for the trip to Everton. Expect changes will be made though - just hope Potter puts out a team that can - and will - beat Wednesday. I want to progress in the cup - it still means a lot to some of us.
The reason not to play the full team is it risks muscle injury to fatigued players. We know Schelotto's and Connolly's hamstrings are delicate at the moment, although I do expect Galgo to start.

So, whilst it will be a strong team there will be 1 or 2 players given a good rest.

Incidentally, are there replays this round ? One would be just before the must-win double header v Villa and Bournemouth - which is really not at all what we want.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Incidentally, are there replays this round ? One would be just before the must-win double header v Villa and Bournemouth - which is really not at all what we want.

Yes

11. REPLAYS, POSTPONED AND ABANDONED MATCHES (MATCHES PLAYED PRIOR TO THE
FIFTH ROUND OF THE COMPETITION PROPER)
(a) Replays
(i) When a first match has resulted in a draw, it shall be replayed on the ground of the
Club drawn second:
in the Qualifying Competition – as directed by The Association;
in the Competition Proper – as directed by The Association.
(ii) When a replayed match is drawn after 90 minutes, an extra 30 minutes shall be
played, and 15 minutes shall be played in each half.
(iii) If the score is still level at the end of extra time, the winner shall be determined by the
taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the procedure adopted by
the International Football Association Board.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The reason not to play the full team is it risks muscle injury to fatigued players. We know Schelotto's and Connolly's hamstrings are delicate at the moment, although I do expect Galgo to start.

So, whilst it will be a strong team there will be 1 or 2 players given a good rest.

Certainly agree about not wanting a replay. Let's just make sure we put out a team to win!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The reason not to play the full team is .

Also the likes of Gross, March, Duffy, Stephens, Ali, El Greyhoundo all badly need match practice.

:ohmy:

No make that double :ohmy:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My guess: Ryan - Bong, Duffy, Balogun, Schelotto - March, Stephens, Bissouma - Gwargis, Murray, Ali J

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Not Ryan, Ali J or maybe Stephens. We might see 4 or 5 U23's. Get it sown up by half time against Wendys U18's, then play the youngsters. Youngsters maybe good, but they are prone to the occasional cock up, so don't play 'em all at the same time

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
attachment.php
View attachment 118848

Albion v Sheffield Wednesday View attachment 118849

FA CUP THIRD ROUND

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Saturday 4th January 2020
Kick-off: 15:01 GMT
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Ian Cooper
Fourth official: Andy Davies
VAR:Kevin Friend
AVAR: Simon Beck

TEAM NEWS

Brighton & Hove Albion will be without defender Dan Burn after he broke his collarbone and required surgery following the draw with Chelsea.

Boss Graham Potter could rotate the rest of his squad, with striker Glenn Murray and fit-again winger Solly March among those hopeful of a start.

Sheffield Wednesday hope Massimo Luongo will play, having ruled out concussion after the Boxing Day loss at Stoke.

Defender Liam Palmer is expected to miss out again with an ankle injury.

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday have not met in the FA Cup since the 1982-83 semi-final, with the Seagulls winning 2-1 to reach the final.
    [*=left]Wednesday have lost their past two matches against Brighton, losing both meetings in the 2016-17 Championship season under Carlos Carvalhal.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost just two of their past 18 home FA Cup matches (W10 D6 L2) and are unbeaten in five since losing 3-2 to Arsenal in January 2015.
    [*=left]Wednesday are winless in 20 FA Cup matches against Premier League opponents (D6 L14) since winning 2-1 against Sheffield United in the 1992-93 semi-final.
    [*=left]This will be Sheffield Wednesday manager Garry Monk's seventh FA Cup match as manager - the previous six have also been away from home, winning two and losing four.

I thought you were only licensed to only do PL threads on here :wink:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Our biggest game of the season against the MASSIVE. Our cup-final.

C’mon Albion! :albion2:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Quite a reasonable line up that! I thought it’s be a total reserve side!

I guess it helps to have good strength in depth.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Another surprise line-up, we are going pretty strong and with 5 at the back?

Button

Schelotto
Webster
Duffy
Balogun
Bong

Alzate
Bissouma
Groß
Stephens

Maupay

Subs: