Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield Wednesday *** Official Match Thread ***

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Big questions about the attitude and competence of management and players

Really unacceptable when 20k crowd present

Also ridiculous to say it's only the cup. We have a squad who should be able to beat the team 7th on the Championship

Spoke to a Wednesday fan who was surprised we were not pacier!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are no excuses for that performance, we weren’t up for it.

The trouble is, if you collectively drop off, even by 5% you can't get that back against a team set up well and at 100%. No excuses, but get the impression players thought that was going to be an easier 90mins than they're used to, and just that weakness in mentality is enough to turn in a poor performance. You need to mentally prepare for this as you would have done against Chelsea. You cannot afford to think this is easier than the previous game or the next one.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Will be interesting to hear how potter views this

Brighton manager Graham Potter told BBC Sport:

"Credit to Sheffield Wednesday, they deserve to go through.

We huffed and puffed but our second-half performance was disappointing. It was not a classic game of football but we need to do better.

"It would've been nice to have had a better performance and a victory. We wanted to win the game so we're disappointed.

"We set out to win and we didn't so we're disappointed. The only thing we can do is learn from it."

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Big questions about the attitude and competence of management and players

Really unacceptable when 20k crowd present

Also ridiculous to say it's only the cup. We have a squad who should be able to beat the team 7th on the Championship

Spoke to a Wednesday fan who was surprised we were not pacier!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

I thought this too.

Essentially it looked like we weren't bothered about winning and didn't play with any intensity, pace or urgency.

But if that was the case why play a very strong 11, on paper, from the start and bring on stronger players as the game progressed.

D

Deleted member 2719

On the positive side, both Newcastle and Watford have to play a reply.

:clap::clap:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Brighton manager Graham Potter told BBC Sport:

"Credit to Sheffield Wednesday, they deserve to go through.

We huffed and puffed but our second-half performance was disappointing. It was not a classic game of football but we need to do better.

"It would've been nice to have had a better performance and a victory. We wanted to win the game so we're disappointed.

"We set out to win and we didn't so we're disappointed. The only thing we can do is learn from it."

We do a lot of learning. Stock answer from Potter post a shit performance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Disappointing and clearly shite from us but will be forgotten soon enough. Strong team considering but you could tell that team hadn’t played together before and never got going. Dunk & Mooy so key for us...

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Potter really should have played the kids. That performance with a so called strong line up is much more damaging to our league position potentially. Only positive I can find is that no-one got injured. The other thing that came out of today is we really need another striker in January. Doesn't matter if its not a well known name but we need another body/option. Why we didn't try one of the U23 Strikers to see if they offer anything I don't know and maybe someone should ask Gpott that in the post match interviews

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Simply not true one bit.
What i saw were players treating this game as a training session. They were just going through the motions. Everything was half hearted. They simply didn't fancy playing today.

This. Exemplified by Connolly coming on and floating around without a care in the world while Maupay does the legwork.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The trouble is, if you collectively drop off, even by 5% you can't get that back against a team set up well and at 100%. No excuses, but get the impression players thought that was going to be an easier 90mins than they're used to, and just that weakness in mentality is enough to turn in a poor performance. You need to mentally prepare for this as you would have done against Chelsea. You cannot afford to think this is easier than the previous game or the next one.

I think that you are spot on

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield Wednesday *** Official Match Thread ***

Think a few players could be close to playing themselves out of the club in the summer based on that. Bissouma poor, Stephens was wasteful and off the pace. Bong showing he isn’t up to this level / type of football

To much hit and hope from Duffy & Schelotto too

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think fatigue is setting in badly. Six fixtures in the past 20 days, our guys have just been run ragged.

One game too many for me (it's the connection trains) and it seems for the players as well ?

Possession football is mostly a defensive tactic but that is no excuse for poor passing.

Knockaert scores for Fulham.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Think a few players could be close to playing themselves out of the club in the summer based on that. Bissouma poor, Stephens was wasteful and off the pace.

To much hit and hope from Duffy & Schelotto too

Balogun looked like he already had left the club. Can't think that potter will keep him in the summer. Ben White is a much better option. Shame but things don't always work out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here