[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield United *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Entitlement is it?

I don't think it is wrong to expect my team that is superior to S.Utd both on paper and in practise to beat them, the lowest ranking and poorest performing team in the division, regardless of injuries (a circumstance heavily mitigated by their own injury worries). Everyone bar fans of the worst teams will expect their team to beat the worst teams, as they should. Its ok to make apologies on behalf of the club but if you feel embarassed by that, thats on you, no one else.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Brighton midfielder Pascal Gross to Premier League Productions:

“We lost two points today, we should kill the game - the possibility was there to do so and we didn’t.

“We go down to 10 men and conceded too easy and that was the story of the game.

“We have to be honest with ourselves, we should still win the game.

"It was in our hands, if we are better, we can kill the game – 1-0 is always a dangerous score and at the moment in the Premier League the results are not good enough."
Based on some peoples opinions , gross also entitled

Some people need to realise on a match thread on a forum . People will discuss and are hurt at throwing away what should of been 3 points

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
To be honest I got bored in the last 20 mins of the first half , both my brother and I saw the equaliser coming before half time
what’s the point beating Ajax and can’t be Sheff Utd , we are not going to win the EL , much rather get points in the league

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You can prove anything with stats.
My own eyes saw us faltering at the end of the first half, having had a goal and the run of the game, to seeing Sheffield fired-up knowing that they were only one-nil down at the start of the second.
We allowed them back into the game and although it didn't help losing Dahoud (stupid and unnecessary red), we still looked like the team most likely to concede instead of score.
I got the impression that we thought we'd stroll to a win, after the (brilliant) goal, and that was our undoing.
Yes, yes....I know we're missing players, blah blah blah, but we certainly had enough to kill that game in the first 45 mins.
But we didn't, and that was our failing.
The stats and my eyes show that we absolutely did not look like the team most likely to concede before the red card. You are suffering from false memory syndrome brought on by disappointment. 4 of SU's 5 second half goal attempts were after the sending off.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yes, we should have scored a second before the red card. We had enough chances to do so. but we still had 60% possession in the second half up to the red and they hadn't troubled us at all. Mitoma, Joao Pedro and Adingra were giving them trouble and we could well have scored a second in the last 25 minutes or held on for 1-0. It totally changed after the red.
Possesion, possesion with respect you keep mentioning it, but what does it prove or mean? Will passing across the back, to steele, to Gilmour and back again for minutes mean we were better or dominant? Or maybe it suggests we should've got a second and failed? Of course if 50% of it is in out half or middles of park for instance?

It means nothing. Despite possession, we had cutting edge and we're carving through them, we then went flat 1 goal up and they got back in it.

They had 38% possession, 1 shot on target and no previous points away all season. Does that suggest we did well?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To be honest I got bored in the last 20 mins of the first half , both my brother and I saw the equaliser coming before half time
what’s the point beating Ajax and can’t be Sheff Utd , we are not going to win the EL , much rather get points in the league

If you’re genuinely suggesting you’d have preferred a win today over Thursday night, I’d politely suggest you should reevaluate that!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Entitlement is it?

I don't think it is wrong to expect my team that is superior to S.Utd both on paper and in practise to beat them, the lowest ranking and poorest performing team in the division, regardless of injuries (a circumstance heavily mitigated by their own injury worries). Everyone bar fans of the worst teams will expect their team to beat the worst teams, as they should. Its ok to make apologies on behalf of the club but if you feel embarassed by that, thats on you, no one else.
It's the word 'expect'.

You can't expect anything in football. It's a game that rests on thousands of decisions made by twenty two players and an officiating team. Expecting anything will only ever lead to disappointment.

I think we probably should have beaten them today but I never expected us to.

The last time I expected anything, Brighton wise, was expecting us to use one of our three remaining games to win the Championship and since then, not so much.

I don't like the entitlement tag personally, for what it's worth. I think our fanbase is at a weird spot given we've got loads of people who were around during the dark days and before and have naturally alhad an influx of fans who came along later during our rise to the big boys table and Europe.

People on each side of that are going to disagree on things like this.

Some of the comments in here though have a whiff of the Leeds / Massive about them though and that's disappointing.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Yawn... binfest. I'm going to sleep happy anyway. Top half in Europe and still have an owner and ground to be proud of.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Glad the international break is here, need a break.

Last 3 PL very frustrating to watch, should have won all 3. All is a bit mid term Potterish.

PS Sheff U have some very twatty fans

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
So bloody frustrating to watch. There for the taking in the first 20 mins or so..getting through them almost at will through the middle and out wide. Should have been 2 or 3 up. Then for some reason slowed things right down and let a very very limited SU back into it. 2nd half started at pace with the subs making a difference but again took the foot of the gas and with the stupid red, 2 points tossed away 😡

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
I reckon if the ref gives a yellow or misses it VAR doesn’t even look at it. It may be in the technicalities of the game a red card when a player makes contact with their studs on the opposition player, but intent and outcome his to come into consideration. I don’t believe there’s intent their to injure the other player he’s not even looking at the player he’s clearly trying to shield the ball. What about the intent of the Shieffield player to stop Baleba having a goal scoring opportunity when running through on goal. Which is intentional and which is cynical. Both should’ve been yellow cards, but Dahoud got a red and their player not even a yellow.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There's a sentence which is the epitome of entitled: "what's the point beating Ajax?"!!! Yeah, one of the greatest nights in our history - don't know why we bothered. 😁

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Possesion, possesion with respect you keep mentioning it, but what does it prove or mean? Will passing across the back, to steele, to Gilmour and back again for minutes mean we were better or dominant? Or maybe it suggests we should've got a second and failed? Of course if 50% of it is in out half or middles of park for instance?

It means nothing. Despite possession, we had cutting edge and we're carving through them, we then went flat 1 goal up and they got back in it.

They had 38% possession, 1 shot on target and no previous points away all season. Does that suggest we did well?
Each team had 5 goal attempts in the second half. We had 4 before the sending off and they had 4 after the sending off.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
The stats and my eyes show that we absolutely did not look like the team most likely to concede before the red card. You are suffering from false memory syndrome brought on by disappointment. 4 of SU's 5 second half goal attempts were after the sending off.
Sorry, I disagree. We came out in the second half looking nothing like the flowing and confident side that we did in the first.
It was (almost) inevitable that we would concede, and of course it wasn't helped by losing a man.
I don't place bets, but if I did, I would have lumped-on us conceding in that second half - 10 men or not.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Much better chance of winning the EL than getting top 4 of EPL. Just need a lot of luck. Leverkusen and Liverpool the only clearly better teams.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Knock the beating Ajax stuff on the head. They are woeful this season.

Just look at who they drew with today - have you ever heard of them? I haven’t

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Here is a list of players that were either injured and unavailable or were clearly not fit enough to start (remember some very tired bodies after Ajax).

1. Dunk injured
2. Pervis injured
3. Lamptey injured
4. Milner injured
5. March injured
6. Enciso injured
7. Ferguson injured
8. Welbeck injured
9. Moder not played for 18 months so clearly not fit
10. Mitoma - was absolutely shattered after Ajax so not fit
11 Veltman see mitoma
12 Pedro was cramping badly with ten to go vs Ajax so no way fit enough.

Have I forgotten anyone?

8 first team players injured and completely unavailable. That includes four players who can play full back with one other full back not fit enough to start. Plus of course our captain and 4 forwards (5 if you include march as I have full back too) and 4 of them were very regular starters when fit.

I would love to see any team cope with that many injuries and players running on empty.
We were always at least a full back short if not 2 , it’s come back to bite us on the arse
should of kept Undav , he was scoring for fun at the end of last season ,
We are not the only team with injuries, , Lamptey is always injured, Moder has been out fo 18 months , Milner should of never been signed too old , and Welbeck has a history of being injured

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports