Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion Vs Reading FC ****Official Match Thread****

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We need to get some shots off tonight. After the boring disgrace of last week, I've really had to think hard about whether or not to bother going tonight. I've decided to go but I might not next time if it's another bad game. I don't even care if we lose, all I want is to see a good game of football. Another rotter and I'm going to seriously question whether it's worth going or not.

Agreed. We're shit this season and it's looking like such an anti-climax to the campaign. Don't know why I bother. Worse than Adams MKII.

That 4-0 the other week was shit. And the 4-0 before that. And the 21 games unbeaten. What a shithouse season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In a perfect world we'd be watching a dramatic 4-0 extravaganza tonight.

However, I'd sacrifice the entertainment for the points for the rest of the season for obvious reasons.

Me too. I just want the Albion to win - matches, points, promotions, championships, cups - you name it, I want to see us win!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Personally, all I particularly want is to be entertained. I go to the football hoping it'll be a good game, I'm not the sort of person who expects an apology or money back or anything stupid like that if we don't play very well and get tonked but I would hope for the occasional shot and for the team to attempt to entertain. Otherwise, what's the point? I don't want to have to sit through another shocker like last week, that was just plain boring.

I don't give a crap about entertainment - I just want the points. The same as every other game in the last 35 years for me.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Rosenior has been excellent since he came back from injury but I'm hoping we see the return of Bong tonight as I think having him at left back makes the team more balanced.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I don't give a crap about entertainment - I just want the points. The same as every other game in the last 35 years for me.

I think that's a bit strong though.

Saturday 5th December.
2-0 down at half time to Charlton Athletic.
3 goals in the second half for BHA.
Best game in years!

I'd have more of that every week if I could.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I think that's a bit strong though.

Saturday 5th December.
2-0 down at half time to Charlton Athletic.
3 goals in the second half for BHA.
Best game in years!

I'd have more of that every week if I could.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take it. I just don't care!

A wins a win, how we get it, doesn't bother me.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Agreed. We're shit this season and it's looking like such an anti-climax to the campaign. Don't know why I bother. Worse than Adams MKII.

That 4-0 the other week was shit. And the 4-0 before that. And the 21 games unbeaten. What a shithouse season.

Your post has no relevance to mine. Last week was rubbish, complete rubbish. All I'm saying is I hope it doesn't happen again. Isn't that fair?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Looking forward to tonight. It's hard to say what team of our will turn up, but our away form is generally awful so expect a victory, 2-0 I think. Ola John is a funny one for us, so watch out for him. He could tear your full back apart one minute and then trip over the ball or miss an open goal the next.

Wouldn't expect too many Royals fans tonight on the account of:

1) It's on TV
2) It's a work night
3) It's £30 a ticket
4) Our season is now over
5) Our plastics all turned up last Friday

Expect <1000. Enjoy the game.

Its not on the box

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
We need to get some shots off tonight. After the boring disgrace of last week, I've really had to think hard about whether or not to bother going tonight. I've decided to go but I might not next time if it's another bad game. I don't even care if we lose, all I want is to see a good game of football. Another rotter and I'm going to seriously question whether it's worth going or not.

I actually read this and laughed, cheered me up no end it is that ridiculous :)

I dread to think what your reaction would be if you were a Leeds or Forest Fan for example...or indeed any other side in this division !

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Tonight's game is massive and let's be honest we tend to fail in important games and considering our record against reading is abysmal I think it'll be a draw again.
2-2

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this and a 2-1 win
I thankyou

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Czech Mate

Looks like Reading play 4-2-3-1 like Wednesday.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/959031/Preview

This gives the opposition team an extra man in midfield compared to our 4-2-4 (or 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2).

McDermott is a crafty manager and may change? https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/94

He has this season before. he could play 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 and I actually expect him to change. He might want to match up our 4-4-1-1?

So we have to play our best formation.

I would be happier if Bong is back in the side from the start to better our distribution from the left hand side and give us an overlapping full back. Rosenoir could slot in on the right hand side instead of Knockaert?

My greatest interest is who will partner Hemed up front or play as second striker? Baldock has been favourite and I'm not sure why?

Second striker:

They'll be very comfortable on the ball, have great vision and a very quick turn of pace.
They will usually create plenty of chances for team-mates, but also bang in more than a few themselves.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/rules_and_equipment/4197254.stm

Baldock does not fit any of these criteria.

And WA keeps on harping (away matches) on that Baldock should us his pace off the shoulder of the defender. He runs around a lot, but I'm not sure he has actually got the acceleration to lose his marker and run into space? Or to collect the ball on the half turn, or dribble?

Who would you choose?

Wilson (not so strong on the ball)
Knockaert (left footed and runs into cul de sacs, better at corners and free kicks)
Skalák (still a bit of an unknown, but why did we sign him if he wasn't better than what we have already got?)
Lualua (does not run into space with regularity expected of this position)
Murphy (better on the wing?)

I think the choice is between winning and drawing. Such an important position in the 4-4-2 and I don't think we have a clear cut best player.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is disruption on the rail services tonight.

Brighton & Hove Albion fans planning on coming to the match against Reading tonight by train from the east of Sussex, are strongly advised to allow additional journey time or seek an alternative method of transport, due to rail disruption.

A landslide between Lewes and Polegate means that services are severely restricted, and although running at a reduced speed, delays are expected.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...es-to-falmer-3008911.aspx#EA8gM8BuPFVySUYO.99

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Away match details:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958969/Live/England-Championship-2015-2016-Reading-Brighton

we seemed to have lined up more like a 4-3-3

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958969/Live/England-Championship-2015-2016-Reading-Brighton

From memory Blackman (now at Derby) had lots of shots for them and he was not required ot track back, giving him a lot of freedom.

They tended to push up a lot as the home side is expected to do. Not for an away match though.

Courtesy of Palace, the Reading season is virtually over. Reading did not look very good on TV.

Of course, Reading should do the decent thing and roll over. I bet we would if the roles were reversed.

I suspect they will make a close game of it. Best if our fans get behind the team from the very beginning and show a greater willingness to win. I hope we look sharp from the very beginning. That means playing the regular team as Bong may not be considerd to be up to match sharpness after a long lay off? On the other view, unless he plays he will not get sharp and this seems the best game for him to make his return?

Lualua did not seem sharp to me coming on as substitute, but he had a lot of the ball and looked keen to get involved. I think Wednesday made it difficult for him to get up to the pace of the game. I will be disappointed if Lualua is not in the squad and this season he has played better when starting and finishing the game.

Really, at this stage of the season we need a performance and result to show we are genuine contendors for the autos. I would like to hope we do not have an anxious time at any time during the match, let alone the last five minutes.

If we are a promotion team, we should be expected to win this one even if we go behind.

Come on you ALBION

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here