Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It.was about 80 mins they suddenly went into 'look at us we're mental passionate geordies with our tops off' mode, after being stunned into near silence for ages before that (and pretty average before that). All felt quite fake imo, especially as after the game they all seemed pretty pissed off for obvious reasons
Glad I wasn’t the only one. It was totally sky camera bizarre. And I like Geordies myself tbh (Saudi blood money aside)

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Brilliant performance - so chuffed. Gilmour was immense, and so much promise from JVH and Pedro. The Ferg: what can you say? Lethal.

As an aside: I know it’s early days for 5 changes, but 4 subs getting yellows is surely the most we’ve ever had in a competitive match? It’s quite an achievement, although 5 is definitely possible if we keep telling refs to get their cards out.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’ve not read the thread so maybe this point has been made already. But one of the things I loved most about today was that Fati and Baleba saw Albion at their euphoric best, and surely left them thinking how great RDZ will be for their careers. Compare with Joao Pedro being introduced to the crowd against Everton last season and then watching his new team get tonked 1-5 by some relegation favourites.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brilliant performance - so chuffed. Gilmour was immense, and so much promise from JVH and Pedro. The Ferg: what can you say? Lethal.

As an aside: I know it’s early days for 5 changes, but 4 subs getting yellows is surely the most we’ve ever had in a competitive match? It’s quite an achievement, although 5 is definitely possible if we keep telling refs to get their cards out.
It's frustrating enough as a fan, it must be even more frustrating as a player. Their guy commits a 'professional foul' in pulling our player back thereby stopping a breakaway (again - it was about the third or fourth one), then carries the ball away to stop us taking the free-kick quickly. We've all been told that there would be a clamp-down on this, and that players would be booked. Lasted two weeks.

And they never once retreated the full 10 yards. No bookings for that.

So, I can understand why Dahoud asked the question!

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Just got back.

Ferguson will obvious get all the plaudits but for me it was Gilmour who ran the show today.

Van Hecke looked amazing. Some people saying goal was his fault but it was Dunk who got beat with the ball over the top. JPVH ran over to cover him, I think he blocked it but it rebounded nicely for the striker.

Verbruggen looked ace. Literally carbon copy of Steele but is far far better in the air cailming crosses and corners etc, considering how bad we were last year at defending set pieces he’s a noticeable upgrade.

Verltman was solid AGAIN. Seriously, the dude never puts a foot wrong, he’s not amazing or flashy like Pervis but he’s just so reliable. Taken for granted until seeing Milner there, he HAS to be 1st choice

Lampty!! Not only so chuffed for him to be back on the pitch, but unlike his last return from injury, he seems to have regained the crazy pace he had. I’ve never seen a human sprint as fast as he did today, it’s like seeing a video in fast forward. Great weapon for us if he can stay fit.

Unpopular opinion but I thought Mitoma was poor. He got the ball so much in dangerous areas but Tripper had him in his pocket and made him look predictable. I think he had about 6 shots in the first half and non of them got past Tripper.

Honourable mentions to March, Pedro and Dahoud who all looked great and determined to do damage

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Didn’t realise Almiron was on the pitch until he got subbed off. Very quiet match for him. Was he marked out of the game?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Unpopular opinion but I thought Mitoma was poor. He got the ball so much in dangerous areas but Tripper had him in his pocket and made him look predictable. I think he had about 6 shots in the first half and non of them got past Tripper.
Not at his best, his shots were a bit telegraphed. But, but - crucial roles in the first and third goals though.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just got back.

Ferguson will obvious get all the plaudits but for me it was Gilmour who ran the show today.

Van Hecke looked amazing. Some people saying goal was his fault but it was Dunk who got beat with the ball over the top. JPVH ram over to cover him, I think he blocked it but it rebounded nicely for the striker.

Verbruggen looked ace. Literally carbon copy of Steele but is far far better in the air calming crosses and corners etc, considering how bad we were last year at defending set prices he’s a noticeable upgrade.

Verltman was solid AGAIN. Seriously, the dude never puts a foot wrong, he’s not amazing or flashy like Pervis but he’s just so reliable. Taken for granted until seeing Milner there, he HAS to be 1st choice

Lampty!! Not only so chuffed for him to be back on the pitch, but unlike his last return from injury, he seems to have regain that crazy pace he had. I’ve never seen a human sprint as fast as he did today, it’s like seeing a video in fast forward. Great weapon for us if he can stay fit.

Honourable mentions to March, Pedro and Dahoud who all looked great and determined to do damage
Mitoma tried to shoot through Trippier a few times yeah, but he was always hungry for the ball and a nuisance - certainly kept newcastle on their toes even if he didn't quite have his best game - certainly played his part in a big way. That's where its so amazing at the moment: even when some of our starting 11 aren't quite as on it/being marked or doubled up on out of the game, there's so much flair and magic elsewhere that it's so bloody hard to stop us. WH obviously did a brilliant (albeit ugly) job on us last week, and it'll happen again, but christ when we're on it it's an utter,utter joy to watch. Especially when multiple changes are made and momentum continues in the same fashion. What a time to be alive!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just got back.

Van Hecke looked amazing. Some people saying goal was his fault but it was Dunk who got beat with the ball over the top. JPVH ran over to cover him, I think he blocked it but it rebounded nicely for the striker.

Verbruggen looked ace. Literally carbon copy of Steele but is far far better in the air cailming crosses and corners etc, considering how bad we were last year at defending set pieces he’s a noticeable upgrade.

Lampty!! Not only so chuffed for him to be back on the pitch, but unlike his last return from injury, he seems to have regained the crazy pace he had. I’ve never seen a human sprint as fast as he did today, it’s like seeing a video in fast forward. Great weapon for us if he can stay fit.

Trippier did this to mitoma before . It was like mitoma knew he couldn’t beat him so kept laying it off or trying a shot . Beautiful thing is now we have Pedro going at people with pace in a similar way so mitoma doesn’t always have to be the man .

Respect to trippier though . He’s a quality player

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah brilliant atmosphere. Wonder if it came across on the telly box though - a few times last few seasons its sounded great in the ground but folk watching on telly have moaned about the atmopshere
Ask @Husty - he’s the expert on atmosphere from his sofa as doesn’t go to games yet knows everything 🤣

Oh sorry he’s posted but nothing to do with the Albion winning of course 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn’t realise Almiron was on the pitch until he got subbed off. Very quiet match for him. Was he marked out of the game?
He had a couple of runs. It nothing more. They were absolutely outclassed from start to finish.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Edit - wrong thread.

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Warning — Another unpopular opinion. I’m afraid I'm not yet totally convinced by Pedro. Yes, he’s elegant in build-up play, dummying and feinting and passing neatly to help push the team forward — no complaints there. But twice in the first part of the second half, he seemed slow to react in the box when he might’ve scored, and several more times he played the wrong pass or appeared indecisive in front of goal. Perhaps his number 9 is off-putting. It makes me think he’s supposed to be a different sort of player from the one he really is.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Bart - 7 - played well after slightly shaky start. Flapped at one cross but saved well from Dunk's deflection in the first half.
Veltman - 9 - love the man. So solid and we are much better with him in the team and especially a team with an offensive left winger/a threat. Play him more please Roberto and definitely against Man Utd next.
Dunk - 7 some good passing but annoyed with his role in their goal. Out of position closing no-one down and he should be focused on being goal aside.
JPVH - 9 - would have been 10 if he had not committed himself V flukey Wilson. Should have stood his ground. Apart from that I thought he was imperious.
Estupinain - 7 - shaky start but improved. Great for the goal
Gilmour - 10 - amazing
Gross - 9 - such a clever player and his use of the ball is as faultless as wee Billy
Mitoma - 7 - one lovely run and did well for the goal but had three poor shots blocked by Tripper.
March - 8 - excelelnt run in the second half.
Pedro - 7 - him dropping in was so key to us getting hold of the game and they couldn't stop him first half. One bad miss and some clumsy play in the second half which should have resulted in a goal.
Ferguson - 10
Dahoud - 7 - oozed class on the ball
Lamptey - 7 - we will need his speed at times this year
Milner/Lalanna/Adringra N/A

All in all brilliant team performance against the Saudi Sportwashers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here