Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
albion-png.164686
newcastle-png.164700

Albion v Newcastle

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue:
The American Express Stadium
Date: Saturday 2nd September 2023
Kick-off: 17:30 BST
Referee: Stuart Attwell
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, James Mainwaring
Fourth Official: Craig Pawson
VAR: Darren Bond
Additional VAR: Ian Hussin

TEAM NEWS

Brighton's Danny Welbeck has a minor muscular issue and joins fellow forward Julio Enciso on the sidelines.

New signing Ansu Fati is not available to make his debut having joined on a season-long loan from Barcelona.

Newcastle midfielder Joelinton and defender Sven Botman both face late fitness tests on their respective injury problems.

Manager Eddie Howe remains without the injured duo of Joe Willock and Emil Krafth.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Having failed to win any of their first nine Premier League matches against Brighton, Newcastle are unbeaten in the last three against the Seagulls and beat them 4-1 at St James' Park in May.
  • Brighton have kept eight Premier League clean sheets versus Newcastle, more than they have against any other opponent.
Albion
  • This is Brighton's 400th top-flight game.
  • Brighton suffered their first defeat of the season last week despite having 81% possession in their 3-1 loss to West Ham.
  • The Seagulls have had the most shots (68), shots on target (30), touches in the opposition box (159) and accumulated the most xG (7.7) in the Premier League so far this season.
  • They have scored in their last 19 Premier League matches, the longest current scoring streak of any top-flight club.
  • Pascal Gross became Brighton's outright leading Premier League scorer when he scored his 27th goal in their defeat to West Ham.
Newcastle
  • Newcastle have lost two of their three league fixtures so far this season. They didn't lose three last season until their 24th league game.
  • They have failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their last 10 away league games.
  • Anthony Gordon has been involved in three goals in his last four top-flight appearances, having not scored or assisted in his previous 20.
  • The Magpies are the most accurate shooters in the Premier League this season, with 48% of their goal attempts (22/46) being on target.
  • Eddie Howe has lost only one of his nine Premier League matches as a manager versus Brighton.

Roberto De Zerbi's Newcastle Press Conference

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Dublin Airport once more - not worrying about the trains, overnight in Gatwick Airport or because I think the game will be a tough one.
The excitement of yesterday still hasn’t dissipated for me - Fati was exciting enough but that group - THAT group - is just amazing! I still find it hard to take in - the fixtures later will provide another wave of excitement - it would be lovely if we actually play well today too!
UTA

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dublin Airport once more - not worrying about the trains, overnight in Gatwick Airport or because I think the game will be a tough one.
The excitement of yesterday still hasn’t dissipated for me - Fati was exciting enough but that group - THAT group - is just amazing! I still find it hard to take in - the fixtures later will provide another wave of excitement - it would be lovely if we actually play well today too!
UTA
Yeah I’m still buzzing from yesterday and counting down the hours and minutes until I can get to the pub. C’mon Brighton!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Feeling of impending doom on this one :down:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Still have nightmares about that performance at their place

Of all the teams where you need some power and physicality it’s against Newcastle

Hope RDZ has a plan

Come on Albion

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
After all the excitement of yesterday back to business today. Hopefully the players have got last week out of their system as will need a top performance from them to get the 3 points.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The last time they were down Smug employed roughly the same tactics as Moyes last week this despite his regular claims that the are a vibrant exciting offensive team. Offensive yes, vibrant no.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
With their ownership, I don’t see Newcastle as a real club anymore. They are just a sportwashing vehicle for a human rights abusing nation. The worst thing is 99% of their fans don’t seem to care.
Just because in March the Saudis executed 81 people in one day for crimes including witchcraft and sorcery all the wokey snowflakey countries get upset for some reason...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here